Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulYork View Post
I was considering it for purchase, after your reviews I will look for something else, I would not want to be disappointed just like u :(
I suggest you not make your purchase decision solely on this thread.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #30

IMO you're not going to find better than Garmin - many companies have tried to be better and they all failed. My $.02
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:15 AM   #31

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Recently I bought a reman'd 770 and have taken it on a couple test drives. I like the big screen compared to my Nuvi and am starting to learn the sounds it makes and the way the screen changes color. I had the Nuvi mounted right beside it to see the differences. I did not route to anywhere though, just driving the coach around exercising it. I like it. I hope to take a trip to the HWH factory this spring and will get a better grip on it on that trip, even though I'll be on interstates for the most part. Not a newbie to Garmin in any means - my first was the iQue 3600.

Iím not sure how recent you bought the 770 but if you are able to return it I would. I also have the 770 and have had it since it first came out. I like the unit but with it worked with Garmin Dive app. I think the 780 and above work with the Drive app. Iím thinking about upgrading but for now I just use Base camp for my trip planning.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:16 AM   #32

Don’t trust any GPS
Just my opinion from 20 years of RV experience.
My new one has the Rand McNally built in, it’s just as worthless as the Garmin.
The Rand Mc Nally has me going off interstates, going thru towns, single lane roads.
I always do my own routes and take 4 lanes or interstates as much as I can.
If I’m new to an area I take my time and keep my eyes open.
Once my old GPS took me to a 5 ton bridge, had to stop take the TOAD off and turn around.
My new one tells me I’m overweight on my home roads.
(Extremes in everything it tells you)
Oh, it had me driving one lanes in Vermont instead of I 91. Go figure? I’m not driving those one lanes with my MH, it tough enough in my car. Yep, cut across the state in a one lane, forget the interstate.
We still use the phone with Google maps, it’s the wife’s favorite thing to do.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:57 AM   #33

I see a trend in lots of the comments from people that don't like their GPS unit, whether it be from Garmin or from some other company. Usually goes like this recent comment, "The Rand Mc Nally has me going off interstates, going thru towns, single lane roads."

When I see this kind of comment, it tells me that the user is expecting the GPS unit to plan their route for them. This is not what I would consider to be the correct way to use one. It is a way, but I don't think it's the best way as often the results will be just like the comment above.

While letting the GPS unit pick your route when you're driving a car usually works out okay, it doesn't always when you're in a motor home or other big vehicle. That's why it's suggested that you always check the entire route BEFORE heading out. Do this by cross referencing with other sources like Google Maps, paper maps, atlases, campground directions, etc.

One of the great things about the new Garmin GPS units (which is often overlooked) is the ability to modify the route it gives you with near pinpoint precision.

Tap the edit route icon, and then you can zoom into the route and make any corrections you need to make. Select the roads you want to travel, the turns you want to make, and avoidances you want to include. Then the GPS will guide you on this customized route.

Is it a pain to do this before each day's drive? Not really. It takes me about 10 minutes and allow us both to go over where we plan to stop for lunch and other details of the day's travels. This is when we'll make tentative plans for fuel stops and lunch.

If I don't have the time available to double check the route, it means that I'm rushing the departure. Most likely rushing a departure means I'm going to make other errors as well, perhaps even forgetting some very important things in my departure checklist.

Try and make route planning more than just punching your destination into the Garmin and pressing the 'go' pedal and you'll likely find that the Garmin does a much better job.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Iím not sure how recent you bought the 770 but if you are able to return it I would. I also have the 770 and have had it since it first came out. I like the unit but with it worked with Garmin Dive app. I think the 780 and above work with the Drive app. Iím thinking about upgrading but for now I just use Base camp for my trip planning.
I have a Windows phone, so no app available.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #35
NXR

Quote:

Yeah, but you should be used to that by now, right?

Ray
Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #36

Quote:
If you're still using a Windows phone, you've got problems besides not being able to get an app to use with your Garmin. Surprised the thing can do much of anything right now. I've got an old Windows phone on the shelf, and it barely can connect via WiFi now, and I don't think that Verizon still supports the phone module any more in all areas.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yeah, but you should be used to that by now, right?

Ray
Yup. It is the Lumia 950 and in my opinion it still is the best phone made. So sad that just after I bought it, MS decided to get out of the phone biz and laid off 1800 software people supporting it. It has many features that were snatched up and copied by apples and Google as soon as the announcement. There is still a lot of groupies hoping some day they will come out with a Surface phone. Nokia had some sharp engineering going on when MS bought them. Eventually the 950 and 950XL was created - the best of the best.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If you're still using a Windows phone, you've got problems besides not being able to get an app to use with your Garmin. Surprised the thing can do much of anything right now. I've got an old Windows phone on the shelf, and it barely can connect via WiFi now, and I don't think that Verizon still supports the phone module any more in all areas.
AT&T phone and still works superbly. My daughter keeps hounding me to go android - just not interested in losing features. I've had iPhones and Google phones before and once I got this phone, I was hooked. When I was still working (and when I purchased it) it had a full load of MS Office on it and I bought the kit that would allow me to connect to an external monitor using their Continuum App. Once you use Continuum, it's hard to tell you're not on a full blown windows machine. I have a Mobley for internet and have the phone connect to the Mobley when I'm near the coach. I carry a monitor in the coach and instead of breaking out my laptop, I plug one cable into the converter box that is part of the Continuum kit and my screen jumps over onto the monitor and I can do anything I could do on my desktop (or laptop), via the phone and wireless mouse and keyboard.
It'll be a sad day for me if this phone dies.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:38 AM   #39

Quote:
AT&T phone and still works superbly. My daughter keeps hounding me to go android - just not interested in losing features. I've had iPhones and Google phones before and once I got this phone, I was hooked. When I was still working (and when I purchased it) it had a full load of MS Office on it and I bought the kit that would allow me to connect to an external monitor using their Continuum App. Once you use Continuum, it's hard to tell you're not on a full blown windows machine. I have a Mobley for internet and have the phone connect to the Mobley when I'm near the coach. I carry a monitor in the coach and instead of breaking out my laptop, I plug one cable into the converter box that is part of the Continuum kit and my screen jumps over onto the monitor and I can do anything I could do on my desktop (or laptop), via the phone and wireless mouse and keyboard.
It'll be a sad day for me if this phone dies.
I know what you mean. When I was using the Windows phones I was using Office products on my desktop as well for work and the phone allowed a pretty seamless transition.

My newer Galaxy Note does a pretty good job of keeping up with what the Windows phones were trying to do. I can run all the Office software, and when I need to I can use the phone as a desktop by connecting to a display and keyboard. The OS is still Android, but to be honest the Office products work pretty seamlessly.

All that said, if you want to use the Garmin app to give your GPS unit the data connection you still have a possible option. If anyone in your family has an extra Android phone sitting around you might try running the app on it. To provide the data connection while traveling just connect that phone to your active phone via hotspot or connect it to your coach's WiFi signal. May be a bit hokey, but it might work as a dedicated data connection for the GPS.

Another possibility, although I don't know how much of a help it would be, is to connect the Garmin GPS to WiFi itself while traveling.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:32 AM   #40

Yeah, I don't use the MS office products anymore since I retired ($$). As for apps, I see the fancy apps that my kids use on their phones - most are a waste of time or for entertainment. The weird part is that with just a little effort the app developers can compile/build the app for Windows but they don't want to bother.
I just hope my phone lasts a long time.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
CAMJAM1
I know in mine I had to re-calculate height and width to correct route settings mine was running me to roads that would accommodate the width and height limits. there may be a setting causing the reroute due to that. it also may see a weight limit.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Richard 5933 I was in Arizona at a fuel stop and wanted to buy a paper map. the cashier said use google it is free. I like the paper maps to insure safe travel. as you stated take the time to verfiy you won't have any obstacles that need to be avoided.