Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #43

Ya Gotta Have a Clue

You need to always take a peek at where you are going to have an idea of the path.
We ALWAYS do that & use TWO GPS devices. (iPhone on “Google Maps” & the GPS)
I could not tell you how many times either one had a brain-fart & I needed to have a clue as to know which one was correct.
The Garmin is not as good as I remember using in my outside sale career days, but it is a tool that taken with some knowledge will lead you there.
Always recon the days travel point A to B!
Roncsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
I have the RV 890, based on a Garmin modified Android tablet. A large (8") display, and for those that remember the Delorme Street Atlas mapping software, much more like it than the standard Garmin GPSs. The additional display area shows far more side streets & information.
We just bought the same one. Only have used it from my easychair. I like what I see, especially radar. Like to know what storms are around. This snowbird is heading south this weekend. We'll see how good it is. I don't think there's a GPS that wont screw up every now and then...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #45

It will be a cold day in Death Valley before I buy another Garmin. Bought a top-of-the-line model and its user interface was clearly designed by aliens to drive humans crazy. As an ex Navy officer and pilot I don't think it was just me.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #46

If you don't know the roads, you can't blindly trust any GPS navigator.

Everyone makes mistakes due to inaccuracy of data and maps.

The most up-to-date maps of all are those of Google Maps which, however, does not make navigators and does not provide the navigation function for motorhomes. Who knows why?

I always set myself this way, first I study my route on Google Maps, if necessary by checking road signs, mass and shape limits with the Street View function.

Then I check the route calculated by the Garmin navigator and see if it coincides. Where it does not coincide, manually modify the path and then save it.

This is the only way to avoid trouble... so much larger than larger is the motorhome... and big trouble with a nervous sheriff on a very hot afternoon in a wet summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sceriffo 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	319310  
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #47

Garmin? Really??

Absolutely no "snark" intended here, but I had no idea that Garman is still a thing!

Full-timer since '12. A bunch of miles traveled. Doing so in my 34' Class A, using the large screen iPad that I mounted within easy reach on the dash. Driving directions provided by either the Google or Apple Map app.

Allows me, when about to enter or leave a spot containing many turns, to simply sit there while stopped & view it all from Street Level. Or Satellite View. Seeing 1st hand where the danger spots may be hiding. Allowing what I'm about to see, to have already been viewed.

Drawback is that Windows users can't use, last time I checked. And if using an iPad, not an IOS or Android phone, a cell subscription is required. Many of those plans required, offered at very low pricing.

2nd option would be the Google Map or Apple Map app. on any non-Windows phone. Offering pretty much all of the same features.
Bosko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #48

Traffic service

I bought a Garmin Drivesmart 65 for use with our motorhome.

My research found that this Garmin, and maybe all other new ones, get their Traffic data from 2 sources: the charger wire and/or cell phone data.
A Garmin rep told me that the phone data will update traffic every minute or so, but the charger wire can take 5 or more minutes.
My experience with the 65, is that the charger wire did NOT get any traffic, even through big cities.
The cell data method worked much better..
Richard
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #49

According to Garmin, they get their data from other sources (I forget who), so they don't take blame for bad or out of date data.

Someone mentioned being routed to gravel roads... Last year in open flat country with British style rectangular matrix roads, it had me turn on to 4 mile road where the middle 3 miles were 6 to 8" of sand. My wife wanted me to stop and turn around. I said no #$%^ way, I kept my speed as high as I dared and kept going. Otherwise I may still be there.

Anyway, I learned to always have at least 2 GPS for planning, compare recommended routes and choose which one I believe more for each section. If necessary, I use WAZE on the cell phone as a tie breaker.
wjbryans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko123 View Post
Absolutely no "snark" intended here, but I had no idea that Garman is still a thing!

Full-timer since '12. A bunch of miles traveled. Doing so in my 34' Class A, using the large screen iPad that I mounted within easy reach on the dash. Driving directions provided by either the Google or Apple Map app.

Allows me, when about to enter or leave a spot containing many turns, to simply sit there while stopped & view it all from Street Level. Or Satellite View. Seeing 1st hand where the danger spots may be hiding. Allowing what I'm about to see, to have already been viewed.

Drawback is that Windows users can't use, last time I checked. And if using an iPad, not an IOS or Android phone, a cell subscription is required. Many of those plans required, offered at very low pricing.

2nd option would be the Google Map or Apple Map app. on any non-Windows phone. Offering pretty much all of the same features.
If you're using Google Maps or Apple Maps, how do you avoid height/weight obstacles? I don't believe either of them takes those into account when planning routes?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #51

I have had one for a year. 15,000 miles. It does cause some interesting routing. My advice is; If you are absolutely sure about the alternate route take it. If you are not 100% sure, follow the Garmin. It has yet to get me into trouble. I have gotten into trouble ignoring it and following Waze or Google maps when they did not agree.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #52

I found it is like truck route if it is no truck it is no rv
cocolaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Yes and yes. I know my old GPS once told us to turn off a major highway and onto a road that didn't exist (miles from our next actual turn) and another time it told me my motel was in the middle of nowhere, ten miles from any civilization, so the RV780 certainly isn't unique in this regard.

I routed an entire trip from Arizona to Oregon on the new GPS last night and the routes the GPS selected don't look bad at all, so I'm feeling a little better that this is not going to be a constant issue. Basecamp strikes me as worthless-- slow and clunky-- but the built-in trip planner in the GPS is not horrible for a portable GPS unit. The inflexibility of GPS units can be frustrating at times-- they'll never compare to something like Google maps for route planning-- but they do serve a purpose for navigating. Using both the GPS and Google Maps to scout the route seems to be a winning combination.
Don't count on it. I purchased one two years ago back east when my Rand Mcnally GPS took a dive. Prior to getting the Rand Mcnally I always liked and used Garmin. So I purchase one to replace the Rand Mcnally. I finally needed to use the phone as a back up using Wase. It routed us, in a fifth wheel onto a court facing down hill in Georgia. The street name was correct, but know where near where we should have been. It continued to want us to backtrack several miles down a frontage road to get back onto the highway many times. The enterance was within eye sight. We purchased a Rand Mcnally when we got home. I use the Garman to display the map and speed in my GMC truck now. It is worthless as a GPS. I did open the old Rand Mcnally and found the LiFePO battery bit the dust. I ordered a high quality RC Airplane replacement LiFePO battery and then sent it to my wife's sister and brother in law.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If you're using Google Maps or Apple Maps, how do you avoid height/weight obstacles? I don't believe either of them takes those into account when planning routes?
I use Rout-1 from Low Clearances. 7000 low clearance locations in the US and 1000 in Canada. You up load the data into your GPS unit. I don't think that anything can be paired with Apple or Google maps, but I wish it could.

lowclearances.com/
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
I use Rout-1 from Low Clearances. 7000 low clearance locations in the US and 1000 in Canada. You up load the data into your GPS unit. I don't think that anything can be paired with Apple or Google maps, but I wish it could.

lowclearances.com/
I know that they cannot be added to the Google Maps routes, which is why I find it iffy to rely on Google Maps as the primary routing source, especially for turn by turn directions.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased the same GPS. The height and weight restrictions can not be trusted. I no longer use it. Even with the restrictions removed the directions are the worst I have ever followed.