Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieM View Post
Is the Garmin 780 hard wired or Wireless?
The780 cord plug to 12 v cigarettes outlet and what so good about it built in the cord traffic alert
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSalt View Post
Ya, he meant 890. They had a sale on them for 399, now it's back to 499. We bought ours in mid Jan. Still had the sale. Used it for the 1st time this weekend on our trip south. I like it. Ran into a ton of rain in TN. I could use the whole screen for the radar. You can use a split screen too.... Just a ton of other features too...
Apparently the 780 has the weather radar function too, though I haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I've had our RV760 do some odd routes a couple of time. I always try to live by trust, but verify when it comes to routing. It has insisted a couple of times on route changes that I know are not necessary simply because of weight or height restrictions that have not been updated. No routing program is perfect as it depends on current data in the maps.
Again it’s common when you loose the signal like in some areas like mountains forest and tall buildings. Ore Garmin’s giving wrong information.Must check up dates about every 3 months
Old 03-02-2021, 07:32 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
It will be a cold day in Death Valley before I buy another Garmin. Bought a top-of-the-line model and its user interface was clearly designed by aliens to drive humans crazy. As an ex Navy officer and pilot I don't think it was just me.
May be you had a defective unit or programmed wrong call Garmin’s the help is there (800-800-1020) love my gps . I went on a wrong way rd one time in my car and she smacked me (lOL)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Apparently the 780 has the weather radar function too, though I haven't tried it yet.
Nice. That was a must 4 me. I can either have a split or full screen.. Works really well....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210302_103219.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	319825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_154453.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	319826  

LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberskier View Post
On a East Coast trip, heading to a Walmart, we traveled on some local streets going through neighborhoods,getting some strange looks, only to arrive at the loading dock of the local Walmart. When leaving the Walmart, we found we were b only half a block from the numbered highway (not quite a freeway, but close), that we had been directed from to go through that neighborhood getting to the loading dock.
Some times you may used the shortest distance versus the fastest. I use the fastest distance not to go through in city streets
Old 03-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #77

Quote:
I used the weather application with my I phone works great. You can look up weather ahead
Old 03-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #78

Quote:
Just bought an RV780 GPS and set about putting in a short route to learn my way around it. I picked Garmin because I had an older car unit and found it easy to use. This one I find a little frustrating, though I suppose it will get more intuitive as I become more familiar with it.

I programmed in my moho parameters (length, height, width & weight) and tried navigating a short trip to the local WalMart. The first turn after leaving my subdivision is a left turn on to a divided highway. There is a crossover about 50' wide between the divided lanes, but instead of a left turn, the routing wants me to turn right, sending me four miles out of my way to the next turnout to make a U-turn. Ok, I figure, it's just trying to make sure I don't have the back of my moho sticking out into oncoming traffic (even though there is plenty of room) so I shorten the moho length in the parameters to see if that fixes it. But even if I shorten it to something ridiculous, like ten feet, it still wants me to turn right instead of left!

In car mode it works as it should, but leaving it in car mode defeats the purpose of buying an RV specific GPS in the first place.

Makes me wonder what kind of ridiculous routing this thing is going to send me on in areas that I'm not so familiar with. I've had enough GPS units to know that they all make mistakes, but this one literally got the first turn wrong.

Is this a common issue with these RV type GPS units, or did I just have bad luck right out of the box? If lawyers were in charge of determining the moho routes I can see this unit and I are not going to get along.
I bought the 780 last summer I used it few times work great you need to learn how to program it call Garmin’s they will send you manual on paper or you can download it on line (800-800-1020) good luck.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgtv53 View Post
I bought the 780 last summer I used it few times work great you need to learn how to program it call Garmin’s they will send you manual on paper or you can download it on line (800-800-1020) good luck.

I got the manual off the Garmin website.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #80

The weather/radar on my RV890 is really easy to get to while driving and I don't have to fumble with my phone.
I guess that's what is really important to me while driving, less fumbling around. The GPS unit does that for us. No-one should trust directions 100%, always verify. Check before the trip.
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
The weather/radar on my RV890 is really easy to get to while driving and I don't have to fumble with my phone.
I guess that's what is really important to me while driving, less fumbling around. The GPS unit does that for us. No-one should trust directions 100%, always verify. Check before the trip.
X2. Never have to touch the phone ..
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #82

I have the Dezl OTR800 which is essentially the same thing as the RV890. Love it. Before that came out I used the "RV Safe GPS" that's an extra charge inside the RV Life app. I know we're not supposed to speak ill of that on this forum but what a hot mess that GPS is. Heading 200+ miles south on I-25 it would randomly want me to get off the interstate and go through a bunch of side streets. I can only imagine it thought there was a big traffic jam up ahead. Well there was no traffic jam at all. This happened several times, so I turned off traffic avoidance. Then later it wanted to route me hours out of my way because of a "closed road." Well I checked the state road status website which did not indicate any closure, so I drove the direct route. It was fine. On a subsequent trip, because I had turned off traffic avoidance, I got stuck in a 50 minute traffic jam due to an accident when an alternate highway would have been fine.

That was the final straw and the new Garmins had just come out so I jumped ship and have been happy ever since. I've driven about 4500 miles since and experienced no erratic routing, traffic is accurate, love the large display, etc.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
I have the Dezl OTR800 which is essentially the same thing as the RV890. Love it. Before that came out I used the "RV Safe GPS" that's an extra charge inside the RV Life app. I know we're not supposed to speak ill of that on this forum but what a hot mess that GPS is. Heading 200+ miles south on I-25 it would randomly want me to get off the interstate and go through a bunch of side streets. I can only imagine it thought there was a big traffic jam up ahead. Well there was no traffic jam at all. This happened several times, so I turned off traffic avoidance. Then later it wanted to route me hours out of my way because of a "closed road." Well I checked the state road status website which did not indicate any closure, so I drove the direct route. It was fine. On a subsequent trip, because I had turned off traffic avoidance, I got stuck in a 50 minute traffic jam due to an accident when an alternate highway would have been fine.

That was the final straw and the new Garmins had just come out so I jumped ship and have been happy ever since. I've driven about 4500 miles since and experienced no erratic routing, traffic is accurate, love the large display, etc.
I was driving on I 39 in Wisconsin and my Garmin’s was telling me to get off and take a different route so I checked the settings I had it programmed to avoid tall roads.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking421 View Post
I bought a Garmin Drivesmart 65 for use with our motorhome.

My research found that this Garmin, and maybe all other new ones, get their Traffic data from 2 sources: the charger wire and/or cell phone data.
A Garmin rep told me that the phone data will update traffic every minute or so, but the charger wire can take 5 or more minutes.
My experience with the 65, is that the charger wire did NOT get any traffic, even through big cities.
The cell data method worked much better..
Richard
I have the garmin 51 with the built in dash cam when I got it I found out it comes with regular charger cord. The built in traffic cord and charger was extra $59.00 works great for traffic.