Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 12:44 AM   #1

Garmin RV 780 Lost its mind

I have had the Garmin RV 780 GPS Navigator with Traffic for a year and a half and have used it for driving approximately 12,000 miles. Everything worked great until I updated last Sept 8, 2021 for a 5 week trip with driving every other day.

ever since this new update of maps plus software on the device plus the desktop the routing is nuts. and these things happen regardless if you plan in rvtripwizard or directly in the unit from current location to final destination.For example;
1, If I leave the route for any reason and come back on at a different point further down the road the unit wants me to backtrack the original route until I get to the point of leaving it and then continue on.
2. If during following the units calcuated route to a final destination with no interim "shaping points" it will sometimes have me exit the freeway and get back on at the same exit entrance ramps. basically going over the overpass on the ramps.
3. again if following ... i see it is taking a route I disagree with and I continue to follow a more logical route it continues to try to route me back to the point of departure (see #1).
4. If I have to get off of the route for whatever reason it will NOT recalculate the route from my current position while driving OR If I stop the tracking and restart it it will not recalculate like all the other units I have had.
5. Come to think of this it will just not recalculate and active route unless it is to take you back to the point of departure.6. support says I need shaping points! How the heck do I know when I need shaping points if I hit a detour?

I have run off track parallel to the original track with both visible on the screen for over 5 miles and never recalculated even when my new road choice was down to less than a mile and the original was 9 miles to destination.

anyone with similar issues?
Promapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an 890 and I was directed to take an exit just to cross over and get back onto the same highway. It has done this several times. Some of the other problems I have not seen YET using the 890. We use Waze as a backup but we don't always follow Waze since it doesn't know the weight and height of our rig.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

I had the same experience on a trip this week with my Garmin 785, where I noted similar observations you describe above. It got so bad it had me driving around in a circle until I gave up and just went in the direction I confirmed on a hard copy map I should be going and it finally corrected after about 2 miles.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

Wish I could report something different with my 785. Just this week came down the DelMarVa coast on 13, showed me off the left side of the highway by a pretty fair amount. At every small side street it told me to make a right and left to get on the highway I was on. This by far is the worst Garmin product I ever owned and swear its defective. I have used at least a dozen other Garmin products and loved them all so my disappointment is obvious. Speed limit guidance is 60% correct at best. Personally I found the front collision warning and lane guidance to be pretty useless also. I do like the school zone warnings, but at this point BFD
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #5

My experience with the Garmin RV760 has been very good,
but I painstakingly plan all my trips in Garmin BaseCamp then load them to the GPS.
That being said, I've also encountered similar problems as mentioned previously.

- taking an off ramp only to be directed to the immediate on ramp: I've played with the "shortest" vs "fastest" routing. Sometimes one works better than the other. If I still get this problem, I just set a waypoint to make sure it doesn't happen

- route showing up somewhere "off" the road, usually parallel. I don't get this problem anymore if I keep my maps up to date

- not being able to go "off route" and then get back on. This was the most maddening problem. My solution isn't elegant but it works. At the point where I want to leave (say) the Interstate, I put a waypoint just a bit BEFORE the exit ramp. Then, instead of setting the route to go to (say) the gas station, I just put the gas station in as a waypoint.

Then when I take the exit, I just go to "Saved Places". It will show the nearest one (my gas station) at the top of the list.

When I'm ready to get back to my route, I call it up and make sure I pick the NEXT waypoint, otherwise it tries to take me back to the exit I just used.

The nice thing about BaseCamp is, once you put in your route, you can have it "preview" where it's going to take you. Most errors I've found have been where I set a waypoint on the highway, but didn't zoom in enough and it's on the wrong side of the road.

O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:31 AM   #6

I wonder if you change your type of vehicle to an automobile, if it will still have the problems you describe. Maybe change it on a segment of your trip that is mostly freeway to check it? Then I would look carefully at the RV specific settings as you activate them.
I have a 770 and haven't had it on enough trips to notice any major weird stuff.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
I have had the Garmin RV 780 GPS Navigator with Traffic for a year and a half and have used it for driving approximately 12,000 miles. Everything worked great until I updated last Sept 8, 2021 for a 5 week trip with driving every other day.

ever since this new update of maps plus software on the device plus the desktop the routing is nuts. and these things happen regardless if you plan in rvtripwizard or directly in the unit from current location to final destination.For example;
1, If I leave the route for any reason and come back on at a different point further down the road the unit wants me to backtrack the original route until I get to the point of leaving it and then continue on.
2. If during following the units calcuated route to a final destination with no interim "shaping points" it will sometimes have me exit the freeway and get back on at the same exit entrance ramps. basically going over the overpass on the ramps.
3. again if following ... i see it is taking a route I disagree with and I continue to follow a more logical route it continues to try to route me back to the point of departure (see #1).
4. If I have to get off of the route for whatever reason it will NOT recalculate the route from my current position while driving OR If I stop the tracking and restart it it will not recalculate like all the other units I have had.
5. Come to think of this it will just not recalculate and active route unless it is to take you back to the point of departure.6. support says I need shaping points! How the heck do I know when I need shaping points if I hit a detour?

I have run off track parallel to the original track with both visible on the screen for over 5 miles and never recalculated even when my new road choice was down to less than a mile and the original was 9 miles to destination.

anyone with similar issues?
I canít express an opinion on the 780 but I can say that after planning a 2800 mile trip in RV Trip Wizard and then using the RV Safe GPS navigation in RV Life, I had the same frustrating experience.
I did disable the avoid traffic feature and that seemed to eliminated the guiding me out of route and then trying to route be back to the original exit from the pre planned route. Maybe the two platforms are using the same mapping software.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #8

I have an 890 Garmin that seems to work well. Has an occasional blip on secondary/rural roads. Relatively new, only used about 3K miles so far.

The issue of routing you off an interstate and then right back on could be related to your height settings on vehicle info.If it thinks you are too high to go under an overpass then it will route you off and back on to avoid the "low" bridge.

And, of course, could be a programing glitch.

Maybe reloading the software would help. Sure is aggravating when it misdirects you.

I also use smart phones for backup on routing as I am lost with out route guidance unless in my home state. For a while I had two GPS units mounted so I could cross reference between the two.

Hope you get it corrected.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #9

My RV760 will try the old "off ramp to on ramp" stunt even when I'm going OVER another road and not under, so it's a PITA in any case.

We similarly have 2 GPS units going at the same time, when we're pulling the toad.
We just take the Garmin DriveSmart out of the toad and sit it beside the 760.
The DS is in "automobile" mode and so gives us, sometimes, different information.
That's a good thing and has been a help in the on-ramp-off-ramp situation.

O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #10

RV / Trucker GPS

I have experimented with the "RV" functions of the Garmin. The biggest issue I found is that it tries to follow commercial trucking routes and rules.

It tries very hard to keep you on truck routes. It refuses to use local municipal streets, town roads unless your start and end destination is on the local road. It also avoids county roads and state highways in favor of Federal highways. Interstates take precedent over all other routes, even in cities.

For instance, starting on a municipal street and going to an address on another municipal street. The Garmin required me to go three miles to an interstate. Three miles on the interstate and 3 miles to the address.

The start and destination were 4 miles apart using main municipal streets. I had the options set to "shortest distance".

When I turned the "RV" function over to the "Car" function, the Garmin plotted a route directly to the destination.

Once, I added about 15 way points to get it to follow a scenic state highway. As I added way points, I could see it re-plot routes back to Federal highways and Interstates from each added way point. Trying to use county roads was almost impossible.

I now use "Car" mode when I depend on the Garmin. I get much more reasonable routes, but it still tries to use Interstates over all other roads. Fortunately in Wisconsin, we have few low bridges and except on town roads, few low capacity bridges.

I live and camp most frequently in Wisconsin. To get short routes or scenic routes using county roads I use a book of paper maps and my lifetime knowledge of Wisconsin routes.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I have an 890 and I was directed to take an exit just to cross over and get back onto the same highway. It has done this several times. Some of the other problems I have not seen YET using the 890. We use Waze as a backup but we don't always follow Waze since it doesn't know the weight and height of our rig.
Ive had the same. I get off the highway to a on the ramp gas station. Rather than having me just get back on the correct entrance ramp right in front of me when filled up, it directs me in the OPPOSITE direction, then has me do a U-turn 5 miles down to get back going in the correct direction!
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #12

I have used Garmin gps forever it seems (since the iQue) and they do have some quirks sometime. I also have a Nuvo and I was using it before I got the reman'd 770. It once directed me off the freeway onto a road paralleling the freeway and then back onto the freeway a few miles down the road. I found out I had "fastest time" set and I guess the parallel road must have been a little shorter.
I think I will run both and compare as I drive to my destination. I agree that the 770 seems to favor freeways. I was taking a short cut to a CG and it routed me back to the freeway....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #13

770 worked great until we updated it. Support did nothing to correct our problems.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36PFT View Post
770 worked great until we updated it. Support did nothing to correct our problems.

36PFT

Could you tell me what map version and software version you are currently running?
I would like to compare it to what I have now on my 780. I'm wondering just what version is the problem and if I have already downloaded it.

Thanks.