Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Garmin to Acquire DeLorme

The mapping wars. Recently, perhaps as of 3 years ago, we saw Microsoft Streets and Trips fall off the map. As of today the press has just announced another major change initiated by Garmin in regard to DeLorme. With FREE Google Maps and Earth apps on computers, tablets and phones, it's going to be increasingly challenging for companies like Garmin to keep hitting their numbers. Here's the latest .....

By RV Daily Report
Greg Gerber, Editor

YARMOUTH, ME — Garmin announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire substantially all of the assets of DeLorme, a privately-held company that designs and markets consumer-based satellite tracking devices with two-way communication and navigational capabilities. The completion of the acquisition, which is subject to customary conditions, is expected to occur within 30 to 60 days.
One of the most compelling products in the DeLorme portfolio is its inReach series of two-way satellite communication devices. These GPS-enabled devices allow the user to send and receive satellite text messages or trigger an SOS for emergency help, anywhere in the world. In addition to inReach, DeLorme has an extensive library of digital cartography and enterprise GIS software, as well as traditional mapping.
“DeLorme is a respected brand with exciting products and technologies that are a natural fit in the Garmin portfolio,” said Cliff Pemble, Garmin’s president and CEO. “We look forward to completing the acquisition and welcoming them onto our team. We are looking forward to leveraging their expertise to further enhance the Garmin lineup of products.”
“Our inReach technology is invaluable to hikers, hunters, boaters, and pilots who often find themselves in remote areas – Garmin’s core customers. We are looking forward to completing the acquisition and are excited to help leverage our expertise into enhancing their already outstanding products,” said Michael Heffron, CEO of DeLorme. “Garmin has extensive R&D capabilities and a global distribution network that will allow us to provide this technology to customers across many markets and around the world.”
Garmin will retain most of the associates of DeLorme and will continue operations at its existing location in Yarmouth, Maine, following the completion of the acquisition. The Yarmouth facility will operate primarily as a research and development facility and will continue to develop two-way satellite communication devices and technologies. Financial terms of the purchase agreement and acquisition will not be released.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Kind of sad. I remember DeLorme fondly, but mostly back in the day when they were the best source of paper products for state maps. I don't think they made the transition to digital and devices very well.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #3

The very first laptop based GPS system I bought was a Delorme. It came with a module that used a USB port. I also bought the Delorme Topo maps. Delorme was much harder to use than Microsoft Streets and Trips. So I switched. Then I bought a Garmin that went on my dash.

Garmin is getting a lot with the purchase. I hope they come out with a well working laptop based system.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
The very first laptop based GPS system I bought was a Delorme. It came with a module that used a USB port. I also bought the Delorme Topo maps. Delorme was much harder to use than Microsoft Streets and Trips. So I switched. Then I bought a Garmin that went on my dash.

Garmin is getting a lot with the purchase. I hope they come out with a well working laptop based system.
Agreed. I've never owned a stand-alone GPS device. Have had only laptop programs. My tired, old eyes prefer a bigger screen. Garmin sold one in the mid-2000s which I used on a work laptop. Was my first, and a pretty good one. But they discontinued it.

The boss bought Delorme's for the next one, but I never liked it as much as the Garmin. It was too "busy" and had almost too many features. I also found that their routing algorithms often sent me on illogical and circuitous routes, sometimes down streets that were actually dead ends, usually a result of out-of-date maps.

Eventually switched to CoPilot Live v8 for Laptop for my personal use, which has been the best. Easy to use, nice graphics, logical routing, mostly accurate maps.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of program Garmin comes up with for laptops, if anything.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

Dahai - I currently have the Garmin RV dash top device. It has a 7" screen and I recommend it. It is NOT a substitute for a laptop planning system. But it is a very good system for helping pilot a big RV.

I still do lots of plan ahead for our RV trips. I bought several editions of the Trailer Life software and used it. It was not perfect, but made putting a map together quite easy. I really liked the fact that if cut down the time needed to plan a trip. Now google has improved their on line maps so that you can make up trip maps sort of like Photoshop and build layers on the map. I preferred the Trailer Life software. The TL system incorporated the ratings of parks into their software, which is much more reliable than google ratings.

But back to Delorme and Garmin. I have no plans at all to go to a phone based GPS system in my car. The Garmin is world's more reliable. When you are piloting 42' of RV plus tow car you need a reliable system. If you use a phone the thing stops working when you get phone calls, notifications, interruptions in cell service, and so on.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
When you are piloting 42' of RV plus tow car you need a reliable system. If you use a phone the thing stops working when you get phone calls, notifications, interruptions in cell service, and so on.
Agree with you half way. We use the Rand McNally GPS unit as our primary, but also find using Google Maps for traffic and sometimes more up to date routing information invaluable as well. A bit off topic of course.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Delorme is Overlanders' first choice for satellite tracking and two way messaging and SOS capability when on the road. Peace of mind for them and their family who want to know where they are without having to be in their pocket all the time.