Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Going to Canada this summer

Has anyone discovered a reliable and inexpensive means to have cell phone & Internet service while traveling across Canada? We currently have AT&T service in the states.
RiverStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

You could purchace a pre-paid cell phone in canada.They are relitively cheap (anywhere between $50-100)
Pamela36367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

When we went a couple of years ago we just added Canada coverage to our AT&T cell phone. Cost was minimal & it worked where ever we went. You have to call AT&T when you enter Canada and when you leave. We were just billed for the time we were there.
For the internet we just used the Wi-Fi at the parks we stayed in. Most worked very well.
This was in the New Brunswick, PEI, & Nova Scotia area.

Have a good trip and take your time. There is a lot to see.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Free Wifi is available at Starbucks, McDonald's and Tim Horton's and at other locations. I use it all the time. While travelling in the States I use Skyoe. Don't bother with a phone. I can still receive calls on my cell, I just note who is calling and then phone them back on Skype.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
For internet and cell service?? The options are a little more limited up here in the north. There are pro and cons to all the major carriers for your usage. Probably best to start surfing the internet to see what meets your needs. Then you want to be sure your not under contract with any of them. I have not heard if wal mart has the pay as you go phones for canada but if they do, that is probably a good option for cell and maybe you can add the data plan to it if you have an i-phone4 or 5 to make that your own hotspot. I think the major carrier all have about the same level of coverage across the country. I use telus and am pleased with the coverage they have. I am sure others will chime in about coverage areas...
What is your planned router and what time of the year are you in canada???
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
So, my AT&T cell phones won't work in Canada without adding a Canada plan?
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Just back from a quick chat with AT&T. They say any plan (any company) likely comes with international roaming. Which means you don't have to do anything to make your phone work in Canada, assuming you are on one of the major networks.
The only US phones that won't work in Canada are prepaid phones such as tracphones.
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #8

It will work alright, but you will need to sell your house to pay the bill.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Call and ask to be put on international roam. I do it all the time when I go to the states.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Here is the bottom line, Cell phone rates in Canada are among the highest in the world. We hate phone companies up here for the most part right behind the Tax Dept.

You basically have 3 options.

1. I would look into AT&T and see if they have an add on package. They probably do and in the long run it is quite probably not too expensive and saves you the hassle of changing numbers and what not. Whats more it will be equally useful wherever you go in Canada

2. If you have a sim card type phone that isn't locked, you can purchase a pre paid sim card from one of the providers and have domestic service that way. If you are travelling a big area, make sure you go with one of the larger providers, Rogers, Fido etc. They have domestic service that is nation wide for the most part. Slip the card in your phone and away you go.

3. You can get one of the disposable type phones which is essentially the same as a pre-paid in #2
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomansland View Post
Just back from a quick chat with AT&T. They say any plan (any company) likely comes with international roaming. Which means you don't have to do anything to make your phone work in Canada, assuming you are on one of the major networks.
The only US phones that won't work in Canada are prepaid phones such as tracphones.

My Verizon phone works in Canada, every where I have had to use it but at .70 a min I try to not use it.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomansland View Post
So, my AT&T cell phones won't work in Canada without adding a Canada plan?
Oh , take my word for it they will work but I seriously doubt you would want the bill for the roaming charges as they are out of sight... Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStone
Has anyone discovered a reliable and inexpensive means to have cell phone & Internet service while traveling across Canada? We currently have AT&T service in the states.
I would expect that your phone is "locked" to AT&T.......therefore unless they offer an affordable international travel plan you are probably best advised to purchase a cheap throw-away phone and Canadian pre-paid plan. As for Internet....the same applies......unless you have an "unlocked" mobile hot-spot, you'll need to rely upon CG wi-fi or free hot-spots.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
You don't want to use your US based cell service for data in Canada. While both AT&T and Verizon have voice plans that can be added on a month by month basis to provide reduced per minute charges, data is dear. For example, Verizon charges $2.05 per MB without a global data plan. With it, $25.00 per 100 MB. AT&T information here.