Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Question Good GPS anyone?

Does anyone know a good GPS I could buy for my motorhome? From what I've read it needs to be a 'trucker' type that allows you to input data like height of unit. The other challenge is to locate a retailer that carries it here in Alberta, Canada I.e. Best Buy, Walmart, something big?
Tisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

I have had my Rand Mcnally 7720 for a few months and am happy with it there have been compaints about all types and good posts as well .
In another post it was stated that no GPS is perfect , and I agree 100%.
You still have to be aware of road signs and construction that my have changed the road way as even a couple of years can make the data obsolete.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

Howdy!

I would suggest looking into a tablet or smartphone (android or iPad) instead of a stand alone GPS. I've been using a android tablet and smartphone for the last two years as our goto GPS for fulltiming RVing needs. We us Co-Pilot live usa app. It has a RV setting you can program height up 13' if you heed more use the Co-Pilot trucker app. You do not need a data connection as the maps are downlosded to you device unlike most other navigation apps on your tablet or smartphone.

http://copilotlive.com/us/personal/

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I first wanted to install a built in GPS. Then I found none that would let me use all 3 of my cameras. And I wanted a big screen. So the Garmin 2797 was ordered from Amazon. Works great.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
You might try running a search in the Technology forum on irv2. I noticed this one in the technology thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/gps-156412.html
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Community Moderator

i am using a smartphone (motorola bionic with verizon). it has a free "Navigation" from google built-in. no need to spend money on gps.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer to the OP's question depends on what is "good."

I now travel with a Garmin Nuvi, and 2 Rand Mcnally's (7710 and the new 7720)...but that is because we have used GPS devices for over 10 years.

If I was buying my first GPS, I would get a good simple unit, like a Garmin or TomTom from Wal*Mart or CostCo and learn to use GPS as part of the driving experience.

Jumping in to GPS with a truckers model or RV unit might be a bit overwhelming and more expensive then needed for a beginner.

I keep taking the Nuvi along with the RM units because they sometime don't agree and I like having the second opinion.

Best of luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
TGR

I bought a Garmin 760 LMT last week. I used it on a 1600 mile trip the past few days, and was very pleased. I'd buy it again.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

I like the Garmin 760 LMT ok. It has a setting just for RV and you can also set it for a tow vehicle and set the height warning. I have used this one for about 4000. Miles and am very satisfied with the way it works. Gives excellent lane change information in a timely matter so you have time to move over.
Fblack. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
i am using a smartphone (motorola bionic with verizon). it has a free "Navigation" from google built-in. no need to spend money on gps.
Up until recently I relied on the built-in Google Nav Aid on my Android phone. When it tried to route me into a Golf Resort in Grapevine, TX instead of the RV Park that was the beginning of the end. It was a good thing I had been to this park before and had some knowledge of where it was.

Being a retired truck driver and having an inbred paranoia of low underpasses I knew that I'd want something more than what Google was willing to provide me for free. However, I'm also a bit of a tightwad when it comes to spending money on the latest and greatest technology. I survived 40+ years on the road with out GPS, so why do I suddenly want to go out and spend a couple of hundred dollars on the latest gadget? Believe me, I like gadgets, and I was very tempted.

I remembered hearing about CoPilot Live when I was still working and even though I had no need for it then, I did think it had a future. It was only really available for trucking applications then and quite expensive. It's publisher, ALK Technologies was also responsible for another and better known piece of transportation management software called PC Miler, so it does have a pedigree of sorts.

The Personal version of CoPilot can be downloaded for as little as $8.99 and you can add the "Traffic Advisor" annual subscription for an additional $9.99. There are plenty of POI (Points of Interest) files for it as it uses both .CSV and TomTom's .OV2 files. You can also put it into RV mode and ask it to to avoid low clearances (12'6" or 13', your choice) and propane restrictions. It is also available for your PC/Laptop for $99.99 and if that doesn't do it for you, you can download the fully customizable Trucker's version for $149.99. Still less expensive than any full featured stand alone GPS I've seen yet.

As for me, CoPilot reimbursed me for the $8.99 I paid for it when it routed me around a 12'4" underpass somewhere between Livingston, TX and Vidalia, LA this past week. I would have spent that much on diesel keeping the AC going on the side of the road as I researched my maps for a way around it.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Sort of like coach owners, if it works, it's OK. I have had both Garmin and RM7720, both work for me. Previously stated, none are 100%, all the time.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Just bought a Rand McNally 7720 and took a trip from Michigan to Mobile. Loved the unit. Was spot on and a great help.
captcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Went thru Portland, Or today and I was following the signs instead of listening to the Garmin Nuvi......my big mistake!!! DW was advising me that the device was smarter than me and I should be listening to her.........she just said: "recallculating"...over and over. Finally the signs I was following seemed to be a little off. By the time I listened to the Garmin I was back tracking all the way back through Portland. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Up until recently I relied on the built-in Google Nav Aid on my Android phone. When it tried to route me into a Golf Resort in Grapevine, TX instead of the RV Park that was the beginning of the end. It was a good thing I had been to this park before and had some knowledge of where it was.

Being a retired truck driver and having an inbred paranoia of low underpasses I knew that I'd want something more than what Google was willing to provide me for free. However, I'm also a bit of a tightwad when it comes to spending money on the latest and greatest technology. I survived 40+ years on the road with out GPS, so why do I suddenly want to go out and spend a couple of hundred dollars on the latest gadget? Believe me, I like gadgets, and I was very tempted.

I remembered hearing about CoPilot Live when I was still working and even though I had no need for it then, I did think it had a future. It was only really available for trucking applications then and quite expensive. It's publisher, ALK Technologies was also responsible for another and better known piece of transportation management software called PC Miler, so it does have a pedigree of sorts.

The Personal version of CoPilot can be downloaded for as little as $8.99 and you can add the "Traffic Advisor" annual subscription for an additional $9.99. There are plenty of POI (Points of Interest) files for it as it uses both .CSV and TomTom's .OV2 files. You can also put it into RV mode and ask it to to avoid low clearances (12'6" or 13', your choice) and propane restrictions. It is also available for your PC/Laptop for $99.99 and if that doesn't do it for you, you can download the fully customizable Trucker's version for $149.99. Still less expensive than any full featured stand alone GPS I've seen yet.

As for me, CoPilot reimbursed me for the $8.99 I paid for it when it routed me around a 12'4" underpass somewhere between Livingston, TX and Vidalia, LA this past week. I would have spent that much on diesel keeping the AC going on the side of the road as I researched my maps for a way around it.
Looking at GooglePlay it show two versions of Co-Pilot. One is the Premium for $8.99 (on sale) and the other one is shown below. What is the differences? The one shown below does not show a price.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YXB2aWV3ZXIiXQ..
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps