Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2022, 01:50 PM   #15

I use RV Life Trip Wizard to plan my routes and Google Street View to confirm. I have a Garmin 890 I use while driving. Before leaving I check my planned route between all 3, investigate any discrepancies, and make adjustments as needed. I don't like to depend on any one source.
BT3927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #16

Lightbulb

We used the 890 on a trip in April and May 2022 for 6400 miles. My wife also watched the road progress on her phone when we were with in 10 miles or so of the destination...

A few times the 890 wanted to route us around a bit weird & further path. We put that up as the 890 was routing us in a large RV and chose roads for the height and length?

I did notice the local speed limit the 890 indicated in several areas was different from posted speed limit. Most of that was in AR, TN , IN , ID
Old 08-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #17

And I believe that Garmin has introduced 2 new models today
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:38 AM   #18

Got my 890 yesterday. I haven't used it for directions yet. But ran it while coming to work this morning. Very nice display. And fast hook up on the sats. Vey easy to set up.
WeeBeenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin offers 6.95", 7", 8", and 10" RV GPS units.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/763101/pn/010-02425-05

They also offer the Outlander series for off road:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/685257
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:33 PM   #20

Been full timing for 3-1/2 years. Since last Sept, we've driven 8,000 miles from FL to AZ to New England and now we're in Ohio heading back to AZ. I've only used Google maps and can't tell you how many times Google has rerouted me out of my way. In Virginia it routed us almost 3 hours out of the way we wanted to go. Not to mention that lags that happen at the most inopportune times. I'm seriously looking at a Garmin but then I see people say it's not any better than Google
Old 08-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #21

It all depends what you expect. Google will take you on residential streets, past schools,routes with low bridges,even on routes that do not allow 6 wheeled vehicles. It fine for someone in a car. Garmin is great. But you must set your parameters. Needs to know your size,do you prefer interstates ,even wants to know if you would use a ferry. No gps is perfect. You must use common sense. Following a gps blindly will get you into trouble. You must update your maps. Put of the box it is not ready to use. Garmin has excellent tech support. You can add POI such as truck stops,rest areas, campgrounds and more. If your co pilot is computer savvy you can run Google maps on your phone along with the GPS. You can install apps that show rest areas, and more. The Next Exit book is a must. Shows all services on interstates by mile marker.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick 8200 View Post
I see people say it's not any better than Google
Probably people that don't have one. Google is great for scoping out places with satellite view but navigation is best left to the garmin. My days of google guided neighborhood tours are over.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #23
NXR

If you have a more recent Garmin RV GPS and do not know about the Garmin Drive app, go get it and pair your phone to the Garmin.

I use it with my RV 785 and it provides near-real time traffic and other information such as weather all along the route.

But Garmin Drive does lag Waze for real-time traffic so we also keep Waze running solely for traffic alerts.

Using both for road and traffic conditions works well if you have a second person along. Once Garmin kept telling us the interstate was closed fifty miles away and kept trying to reroute us, which would have added over two hours to the trip.

But Waze did not show a closure so we pressed on.

Garmin was correct, technically. A bridge had been removed on the interstate and the State reported it as a closure.

But traffic was being diverted to the exit just before the bridge and immediately back on the interstate. The road under the missing bridge was closed so traffic was slowed and backed up but not stopped per se.

Ray
Old 09-05-2022, 11:01 AM   #24

We tried to use cell with apple/google maps and our motorhome-included River Park Rand McNally (with supposed last free update after bankruptcy) on our 3.5 month meandering & backroads trip this summer.

We slowly found out the Rand McNally was useless (lots of roads not in the database), and cell service was zero in several places.

In SD, we were getting anxious about it so I ordered a Garmin 1090 and had it delivered to an Amazon drop business in Yankton SD, an upcoming 3 day stop. Fortunately, it arrived the day before we were scheduled to move on.

Note you MUST have a standard round 12V power port (cigarette lighter style). You cannot power it from USB. I also procured and installed a standard 12V power point socket (mine has a switch and USB ports as well) on front of the dash before I got the Garmin. (then after mounting and using, I will be adding yet another power port behind the Garmin mount). I tapped the same power circuit in the dash that runs the River Park Xcite system.

We weren't able to update the Garmin maps or software on the road thru the crappy AT&T cell modem we had but used it on the rest of the trip anyway.

Early on, I bit the bullet and screwed the dash mount down centered just over the two 10" dash displays where my navigator and I can both see it and hear it. I hated putting 2 screws in the top of the dash but this is the most secure and convenient mounting method. The windshield is too far away to use the suction mount and be able to see, and a hassle to remove every time we park. I will be adding another 12V power point behind the garmin mount to eliminate cord dangling.

If anything, the Garmin 1090, when set up for RV was overly cautious. There were a couple of places that I got a "length limit" warning. But the road, while having no shoulders, was newly paved and there were a few 18 wheelers on it so I stayed on it. No problems. We also went on some gravel roads going to Harvest Host sites and I believe it always warned us of unpaved road.

I would go for the Garmin 1090 screen size. These eyes aint getting any younger! You can get accessory mounts to quickly move it to another vehicle if that is a concern. I move mine between the RV and Toad frequently and am shopping a dedicated mount & power cord for Toad so I can just release the magnetic mount display unit and move it.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:04 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
I keep saying that GPS units should be used for amusement purposes only. Do not trust them 100% because if you do, one day you will regret it.

I do trust the aviation units as they are straight line, from here to there. No exits, no exit left or right, no one way streets, low bridges, etc.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:12 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
You cannot power it from USB.
You can if you plug directly into the unit, there's a microUSB connector on the end with the power switch. You are correct though if you power the unit through the magnetic base, that requires a 12VDC cigarette/power port source.

Quote:
If anything, the Garmin 1090, when set up for RV was overly cautious.
I agree. Mine is frequently bonging "sharp curve". Where I tend to travel most that's a given so I just let it.

Quote:
I would go for the Garmin 1090 screen size.
What I like about the larger screen is to orient the unit vertically. That way you can see more of what's ahead while still retaining a useful font size on the bottom status bar.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
You can if you plug directly into the unit, there's a microUSB connector on the end with the power switch. You are correct though if you power the unit through the magnetic base, that requires a 12VDC cigarette/power port source.

I agree. Mine is frequently bonging "sharp curve". Where I tend to travel most that's a given so I just let it.

What I like about the larger screen is to orient the unit vertically. That way you can see more of what's ahead while still retaining a useful font size on the bottom status bar.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
USB power: Yes but I thought USB power was only for updating. Didnt know the nav function worked when powered that way. Anyway, the magnetic base is a must for us. Wife simply snatches it off and programs it while holding it instead of trying to lean over and program it.

Screen rotation: HEY I didnt think of that! I will try it. Thanks. Assume that is only good if you have the setting "up" = direction of travel instead of "north up."
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #28

Go for the 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
I took a couple thousand mile trip last April and got so frustrated with google I went out and bought a Garmin 1090. Google routed me on roads a class A has no business being on including one where trucks were prohibited, and luckily made it out by following a delivery van. And that's as good as it got when I had the benefit of network connectivity, which wasn't a guarantee once I got off the interstate. Gas stations no longer sell road maps, even truck stops have a limited selection but between maps I got at state welcome centers and maps I downloaded and saved on my tablet when I could, I could navigate with some confidence. The Garmin checks every box - accounts for your vehicle size, gives you useful information on the screen as you go, tells you what services ahead are available, a great database of RV parks and campgrounds, and is dirt simple to operate. In my view, using google to navigate might work under ideal conditions and simple routes, but it broke multiple ways just traveling on state roads. Even when it works google pales in features and utility to the Garmin, and I won't take a chance with it in an unfamiliar area again.

To the OP's question, I don't have any experience with the 770 but my 1090 (which is likely the same as the 890) has been the best Garmin I've owned to date. Very fast, simple interface, easy to update over wifi. Price/value is subjective, maybe the older ones would work just as well for some folks and incremental improvements and features not "worth it", but I have no regrets having the latest and greatest at this point. Should carry me through for some time to come.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I'm with Mark: The Garmin RV 1090 is an excellent GPS unit.

Don't forget that both Garmin Express and Garmin BaseCamp work with this unit. With the latter, you can download all of your past trips and map them, including graphs for speed and elevation. See the images below for examples.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winston-FL-NC-FL.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	376561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winston-FL-NC-FL-elev.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	376562  

Click image for larger version