Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2022, 11:24 PM   #29

I have the 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
The 780 is on sale for $269 and the 890 is $499. Is there that much difference to justify paying more for the 890? Looks like the 890 has a one inch larger screen.
Thanks
RJ
780 works fairly well. A little quirky here and there but gets the job done.Just finished a 1,400 mile RV trip. It helps quite a bit but I would not rely on it 100% Check out your route on other mapping sites just to have a backup.
Helps keep the arguments to a minimum when driving with your spouse!
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #30

RV Trip Wizard
We have the Garmin 890. Was very happy with it until I completed the last update. Since then it has routed me in ways that make absolutely no sense. I have come to not trust it! I am currently running another update and am hoping some of the kinks will be worked out.

A couple of examples - in an area I know well, it is routing me through town vs on the truck route around town. Even though the truck route is more direct and closer!

Another time a trip that I mapped out - it changed without warning and only because I knew this was not the route I wanted to go - I was able to change. But had to change several times to get it to go the way I wanted. This was a trip I was traveling alone on so didnít have a navigator to assist. Very stressful.

Then recently we was in NM and had mapped to a Samís Club for fuel and I ended up in a very tight alleyway with trees overhanging! Come to find out there was a much easier route it could have routed us on. But this was an area I wasnít familiar with so trusted the GPS. Needless to say- spouse was like - Why did you map this way? With a few expletives added . . .

So - up until recently I have been happy with it. Because of this - I am now constantly second guessing where it is routing us. And this has caused a lot of stress at times.

I do pretty much always run Goggle as well. But - the problem with that is - it doesnít know we are a Motorhome with a weight limit. Had that issue just the other day. Had both Garmin and Google running. The Garmin was taking us a route that seemed unnecessary. But it was right. Goggle was taking us down a road that seemed ok but had a bridge with a weight limit well under our weight.

Question is - Is Anybody else experiencing a noticeable problem with how Garmin is navigating them? Is there away to report this to Garmin?
Roadhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #31

I have to agree on the routing of the 890 recently. I was on a trip I regularly make and rather than the shortest direct interstate path, it tried to route me off the interstate and through the countryside to go to a place right off the interstate. No idea why, but it is waiting for an update right now, so maybe that will fix it.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps