Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

GPS for RV

OK, been trying to find some reviews of the new GPS units designed for RV'S. I have a Garmin for my personel car but am wondering if the GPS units for RV'S are worth the additional cost.
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
OK, been trying to find some reviews of the new GPS units designed for RV'S. I have a Garmin for my personel car but am wondering if the GPS units for RV'S are worth the additional cost.
Apart from the cost, what's the difference?
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would use the largest screen your dash set up could accommodate. A laptop running Microsoft Streets would be ideal. Having the bigger screen displaying more data is big help anticipating lane changes etc.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Personal view because I'm 63' long is the lane assist and map up dates are the two biggies. Of course the bigger the screen the better. as to other item POI files can be loaded for everything from height to where to pottie for free so why pay for them. JMT

LEN
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Have a 3 yr old Garmin and use in car or MH. works just fine. Sometimes I argue with it and some times I win
dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the Garmin 465T. It can be programmed for trucks or cars. No complaints so far.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
WE have the new Rand McNally w/7 inch display. Also separately have a Garmin and a custom unit built into our Acura. Love the Rand McNally features....hate the screen glare (they provided a separate shield which helps a lot). It has lifetime maps, the Woodall's directory built in, the Next Exit built in. You can tell it your unit parameters, weight, height, etc and it uses this to provide safe routing. Many customizable features and warning scenarios. Wouldn't be without it...the Garmin and the so-called customized unit don't compare.
MerleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerleP
WE have the new Rand McNally w/7 inch display. Also separately have a Garmin and a custom unit built into our Acura. Love the Rand McNally features....hate the screen glare (they provided a separate shield which helps a lot). It has lifetime maps, the Woodall's directory built in, the Next Exit built in. You can tell it your unit parameters, weight, height, etc and it uses this to provide safe routing. Many customizable features and warning scenarios. Wouldn't be without it...the Garmin and the so-called customized unit don't compare.
What is the model # on the Rand McNally you described?

DKO
Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Just started using the ALK Copilot Live. For $20 it loads on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. Has both an auto and RV mode. The RV mode only handles height and propane restrictions, which is all I care about. Has Live Traffic included for first year, something like $7.99 a year after that. Enhanced lane assist and clear view for complex interchanges.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #10

[QUOTE=jablair;1317392]Just started using the ALK Copilot Live. For $20 it loads on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. Has both an auto and RV mode. The RV mode only handles height and propane restrictions, which is all I care about. Has Live Traffic included for first year, something like $7.99 a year after that. Enhanced lane assist and clear view for complex interchanges.[/QUOT

Howdy!

X2 on using Co-Pilot Live. I've use it on my Galaxy Tab for over a year now fultime RVing and the RV mode has worked great. I see no need to purchase another GPS if you own a smart phone or Tablet. If you don't already have one I personally would invest my money in a new Tablet or iPad with GPS before I would buy a stand alone GPS. You will get a larger screen and can use it for much much more.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Does the copilot need a full time data package to operate ? or is it tethered off your smartphone ?
We have two tablets with gps, 7" samsung galaxy and Motorola Xoom but not tried copilot yet..
We have two garmins with lifetime maps and updates...
We have two smartphones - one android based and one blackberry..
Both our vehicles have factory nav built in...

pros and cons I know of:
1) If you are buying your first unit ever... be sure and get lifetime maps as things change all the time where we go
2) the garmins have been great units, easiest to use, but neither are large load specific.
3) the tablets require a monthly fee and data package and gps usage can eat up the minimal 2 gig usage on many data plans
4) The factory units are woefully out of date when new, stupid functionality, hard to use, and very expensive to update
5) The factory units also usually require a service fee monthly if sirus or onstar based

friends of ours just got this one Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710 GPS with Lifetime Maps - Rand McNally 528005731 - GPS Units - Camping World
and love it...

Garmin lives (and dies) with their gps units, so they MUST offer good value and features... heard good things about the 465T, b ut have not tried it...

May research the copilot as my sisters Phaeton has copilot on the built in laptop in their dash - it's nice !
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #12

Howdy!

Johnboy, I don't us Sprint to connect to my Galaxty Tab (use WiFi only). The Co-Pilot maps are downloaded to the device so you don't need a data or WiFi connection. The maps are continuiously updated when I connect to WiFi data.

I have a Garmin and it served us well. I got tire of purchasing map up dates, and if I purchased a lifetime map update it was only good for that device. So I tried Co-Pilot the app was $4.99 when I purchased it over a year ago and have liked it and it works great. The other nice thing is if you get a new device (Tablet, iPad, smart phone etc. . .) you can transfer the app, you don't have to repurchase it.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS for RV

Purchased the RVND 7710 a few months ago and haven't really used it much but with the couple of times that I did, I'm not impressed. Trying to input a new destination or address, as soon as a you input the first few letters/numbers, it would bring you to their list where you'd have a hard time finding what you're trying to find. Even trying to use the "expand the search area" function, it still would not give you what you're looking for.

I don't how all those members that have owned this unit can ever be satisfied with this unit. I haven't tried the coordinates function yet since the places I'd like to input, I don't know what their coordinates are.

I also have a Garmin and a Magellan and they were both user friendly than the RM 7710. On the positive side, the screen is big so it's really visible from the MH dashboard to the driver. Still trying to experiment using it's capabilities.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Chief !
I too have retired the garmins now - this copilot app seems like it will be great !