Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #1

I'm considering the Garmin 7200 for out motor home. It will be the first GPS we've used. How do you mount them - on the dash? Does it require an antenna outside the motor home? Any help will be appreciated.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #2

I'm considering the Garmin 7200 for out motor home. It will be the first GPS we've used. How do you mount them - on the dash? Does it require an antenna outside the motor home? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have my Garmin 2610 StreetPilot attached with the adhesive mount that was included with the unit. I have it mounted on top of the dash to the right of the steering wheel, and it's quite secure.

I have not needed an external antenna.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked at GPS units and the associated installation requirements. I then read about CoPilot Live Laptop 10 Navigation System. We already carry our lap top with us so I opted for this system instead.

Just another option to consider for what it's worth.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #5

BCook57,
The easiest GPS system to use and move between an RV and toad is a Garmin type system. Check out the various vendors that sell portable units. We have a Garmin and love it! We bought the 2610 when it came out many years ago and then updated to the 2720 back in 2005. The 7200 is the "big screen" version of both of these systems and I highly recommend any of the Garmin products. The 7200 comes with a mounting plate but you should get your hands on one and see if this mounting option will work for your particular installation and if there is a spare available so you can move it between your RV and your toad. This option, IMHO(OK, not so humble),is the #1 reason that anyone would purchase this kind of a GPS. If you only need GPS in your RV then Streets and Trips or CoPilot Live will do just fine. Too many people have lost computers left in their toads and even if they had not, where the heck are you going to put that laptop where you can see it and not take your eyes off the road?
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Heres a unit we have used between MH and car and costs less than what I paid.

Garmin C330
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #7

BCook57..We have used a Garmin 7200 in our MH for just over a year now. It's an excellent unit but not perfect. It isn't the least expensive unit out there by a long shot! I was fortunate enough to get the cost down by trading in a Garmin aviation only type unit. I like the bigger screen when the unit is placed on the MH dash. I use heavy duty velcro to keep it in place. I use it in the toad as well also on velcro. So far it has worked out pretty well. I haven't added the traffic info subscription or the book service that is also a pay to have option. I also use a remote (in MH only) antenna that came with the aviation unit but I believe it would get good signal thru the front glass even without the antenna.
Hope this is some help.

'04 KSDP 3904
'05 Saturn,Vue
Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Another big advantage of Garmin's StreetPilot models is the ability to lay out a route in your computer using Garmin's Map Source software which is included in the StreetPilot package.

I rarely like the route that the GPS selects, and it is easily modified in Map Source.

It is also very easy to mark waypoints for fuel stops, shopping, and overnight spots.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the informative replies. I'm not sure we care about moving it into the toad; we'll have to think about that. My plan is that my "navigator" will use this unit. I would plan on positioning it so she can use it easily. A computer-based model might make it somewhat more difficutlt for her to do that. Also, we're Mac users, so I would need to be sure it works on that platform. We'll do some more serious checking out before we take the plunge.