Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

GPS - iPad2, CoPilot HD, Dual Bluetooth GPS

After the TomTom decided to stop tracking GPS satellites, I decided to get something "better". I liked the idea of having "RV" specific needs met by the GPS like HEIGHT, Avoid U-Turns, and "prefer big roads".

Instead of forking out another $400 for a GPS, I went the cheap route and got CoPilot HD ($30) for the existing iPad2 I own. Unfortunately, I was not aware that the iPad2 3G came with an internal GPS chip. The wi-fi only version does not come with the GPS chip. So I had to purchase and Apple approved Bluetooth GPS puck. I chose the Dual version for $99. Next up was a way to mount the thing in the RV. I like the windshield mount I picked up for $30.

So, for another $160 bucks, I have a huge GPS display. The photo below doesn't do the display justice. It is bright and vivid on the iPad2 in the middle of the day. Not sure if i had the flash on when i took the picture.

(don't count the cost of the iPad2 - $700)

sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Looks good. What GPS puck did you get?
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
After the TomTom decided to stop tracking GPS satellites, I decided to get something "better". I liked the idea of having "RV" specific needs met by the GPS like HEIGHT, Avoid U-Turns, and "prefer big roads".
Could you elaborate on this? How can TomTom sell a GPA system that doesn't track the satellites? Or was this just your own TomTom devices failed?

Thanks
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

What is the mount that you used?
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi- I am a first time RVer, first time owner of i-pad 2, (first time- anything to do with RVing)
I like what you did for a GPS, I was looking at having a GPS installed on my Jayco Melbourne 2010, but after reading what you have done. I’ll do it your way. (I purchased it in Oct 2011) and plan my first RV trip in Feb. going to Las Vegas then to????. Need a GPS thanks Sanfordturbo!
Lenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Looks good. What GPS puck did you get?
I purchase this one: XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver

You can see it in the center of the dash directly under the iPad. It gets 8 hours of battery life out of a single charge, but that i don't have first hand testing of this marketing claim. The ipad does last for 10 hours on a single charge. I can attest to that.

BTW, if your ipad is jailbroken, you can use any Bluetooth GPS receiver instead of the 4 on the market that are compatible and accepted by Apple IOS. Not sure why Apple locked it down, but they did.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
Could you elaborate on this? How can TomTom sell a GPA system that doesn't track the satellites? Or was this just your own TomTom devices failed?

Thanks
The tomtom gps worked fine for a few hours, then stopped tracking satellites. I typically use this thing on my motorcycle and it works just fine for hours at a time. Guess it just died?

You get what you pay for. I bought this refurb on woot.com for $40 plus shipping.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
What is the mount that you used?
I picked up the Siig mount locally for the same price on the web. I figured if it was too wobbly, i would have an easier time returning it without shipping and handling hassles. If you have the flexible arm sticking straight out from the windshield, there is horrible wobble. I adjusted the flexible arm to shoot down vertically and then bent it out 90 degrees into the cabin. Like the letter "L". Then put the ipad on the arm. It was much better. There is still some wobble, but not much.

Windshield iPad Car Mount - Mounts - iPAD/Tablet Accessories - IT PRODUCTS
Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenard View Post
Hi- I am a first time RVer, first time owner of i-pad 2, (first time- anything to do with RVing)
I like what you did for a GPS, I was looking at having a GPS installed on my Jayco Melbourne 2010, but after reading what you have done. I’ll do it your way. (I purchased it in Oct 2011) and plan my first RV trip in Feb. going to Las Vegas then to????. Need a GPS thanks Sanfordturbo!

You and I are in the same boat with regards to First time RVer and iPad2 owner. The co-pilot software works pretty good. I have the same application on my Android phone and it works good. Never knew the software on the phone also had an RV mode. When the tomtom died on my trip, i resorted to the Android phone for navigation. I used the google Nav app that was built in. Completely forgot that I had co-pilot installed on the phone. Wouldn't have mattered much since I didn't know it had an RV mode on the Android App. Now that I know, i have a backup RV mode navigation system on my phone.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #10

Monitors-In-Motion Mount

Tablet Lift - Products - Monitors in Motion
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
You could also try Ram Mounts. That's what I use.

Apple iPad Holders & Mounts

Here is where mine was mounted in my last coach

Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
I purchase this one: XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver

You can see it in the center of the dash directly under the iPad. It gets 8 hours of battery life out of a single charge, but that i don't have first hand testing of this marketing claim. The ipad does last for 10 hours on a single charge. I can attest to that.

BTW, if your ipad is jailbroken, you can use any Bluetooth GPS receiver instead of the 4 on the market that are compatible and accepted by Apple IOS. Not sure why Apple locked it down, but they did.
Hello again, this is great! I'm ahead of the game by over $2500.00+ (thats what it would have cost for installing a "gps" on my rig).
What is a GPS universal bluetooth GPS receiver?
just getting a little info, before I ask a sales person in person, they will think I know what I'm talking about
Lenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Lenard,
If your iPad is a 3G, you don't need a GPS adaptor, the 3G units have it built in. You do not need to activate the 3G service, only need that model.

Anyone thinking of going down this route would be better served just getting a 3G unit rather than the other and then having to buy a separate receiver.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenard View Post
What is a GPS universal bluetooth GPS receiver?

For devices that don't have a built in GPS receiver (laptops, some cell phones, some iPads, etc), but have bluetooth capabilities, you can receive GPS signals from the satellites with one of these external pucks without the need for wires.

Bluetooth is a basic wireless standard for small devices in close proximity to each other. The basic point of this bluetooth stuff is to get rid of the wires. They also sell GPS receivers that require a USB cable to interface with your laptop.

If you don't have an iPad yet and plan on using GPS at some point in the iPads life, get the 3G model because it comes with the GPS chip built in. You are not required to activate the monthly 3G service with Verizon or AT&T any more. However, I have heard that some of the iPad deals that Verizon and AT&T offer for the iPad requires service activation. If you pay full price to Apple, you don't have to activate the 3G stuff ever.

Since my iPad is not 3G, it did not come with the GPS chip. There is no way to crack it open and add the chip (that i know of). The Universal GPS receiver is simply an external GPS chip that my iPad and Laptops can communicate with wirelessly via bluetooth to get those Satellite signals. There are also some GPS receivers that can be plugged directly into the bottom of the iPad and therefore don't use bluetooth.

Hope this makes sense.

Tags
gps