Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
GPS Lost Reception

We are in northern Mississippi near Memphis Tn and we are having a problem with our GPS (Garmin Nuvi 650). most of the time we are receiving messages that it is searching for satellites. I might add we are taking side trips in our car. Is it because the satellites are below the horizon with trees or obstructions? We have traveled all over the east from the Dakotas east and north and south with no problems. Any advice would be appreciated.
Locksmith
Locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

Are you in heavy trees?
The GPS satellites are available around the world.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The receiver needs a clear view of the overhead sky to "see" a minimum of three satellites to get an accurate position. Overhead trees, tunnels, and nearby tall buildings can block the signal. Your car roof is probably blocking a good share of the sky, so the choice of satellites is limited.

Since the 650 is a portable unit, can you try placing it further up on the dashboard so it can see more sky? That sometimes helps. Older Garmin GPS has a jack for an external antenna that can be placed for better reception, but few Nuvi models have that anymore.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

Okay, let me tell you what happened to me. Occasionally, my GPS would do the same thing, start searching for a signal. Mostly at the most inopportune time. Then other times, it would work perfectly. I finally figured it out.

My DVD player is located right above the dashboard in a compartment. On occasions when the generator was running and the DVD player was ON, the GPS would not work. Turning the DVD player off corrected the problem. Evidently, the laser or something inside the DVD player mucked with the satellite signal. Satellites can "see through" fiberglass, but not electronics

I'm ashamed to say this went on for months before I finally figured out what the problem was.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
No it happens in wide open areas, no trees, mounted on windshield, never any problems before. Maybe it's time to look into a new Rand McNally 5510;
Thanks
Locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #6

Call Garmin, they'll help you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Okay, let me tell you what happened to me. Occasionally, my GPS would do the same thing, start searching for a signal. Mostly at the most inopportune time. Then other times, it would work perfectly. I finally figured it out.

Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
if you have traveled to different parts of the country, your Garmin unit might have to be recalibrated by doing a system reset. Somewhere in the menu structure there is a choice to reset the unit. I had the same problem and that worked for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post

My DVD player is located right above the dashboard in a compartment. On occasions when the generator was running and the DVD player was ON, the GPS would not work. Turning the DVD player off corrected the problem. Evidently, the laser or something inside the DVD player mucked with the satellite signal. Satellites can "see through" fiberglass, but not electronics

I'm ashamed to say this went on for months before I finally figured out what the problem was.

Funny you should mention this. About a month ago I got a new Verizon Mi-Fi Jetpack 4G. I could not get this thing to work. Very limited signal. So I took it back to Best Buy and it worked perfectly there. Back home I went and no go. I decided to move it out of the office and took it out onto the porch. Bingo, it worked perfectly and I had signal throughout the house, even in the office! That got me looking around the office and when I unplugged the scanner the Mi-Fi started to work so much better. Plug the scanner back in and the Mi-Fi stopped working till I got it about 10 feet away.

So the story here is electronics are weird. Just like the florescent fixtures causing problems with the furnace thermostat. Check what is close by. So many things can screw up other things. Now the GPS ... see if it works removed from other influences.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We took our Garmin Nuvi with us to Honolulu last fall. The unit could not find satellites until we told it we were in Hawaii (instead of Washington state). Once we did, it worked fine. When we returned to Washington, we didn't have to do anything.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #10

Why is it that these things always seem to lose their satellite position when you have no idea where you are going?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
the same reason furnaces don't break in the summer and air conditioners don't break in the winter

Tags
gps