Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2022, 05:26 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
GPS mapping apps

Looking for a mapping gps program for our western loop trip coming up. Love allstays for the info but only uses google or Apple Maps so I would like it to be Rv friendly for traveling
ToddGaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #2

RV trip Wizard
Copilot
Sygic
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #3

I build my routes using Garmin Basecamp and then download them to my Garmin RV760.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
RV trip Wizard
Copilot
Sygic

Have you personally used any of those?
Old 12-22-2022, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGaddy View Post
Have you personally used any of those?
Yes, I used all three. My preference is Sygic on the phone and Garmin RV on the dash, both at the same time.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:57 PM   #6

70' long, 42,000 lbs. I use google maps.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #7

GPS mapping apps

I have been using Sygic RV for the past several years. No complaints.

I use TomTomGo app on my motorcycle. TomTom just recently added an RV(caravan)routing preference to their planner. I tried the planner and it looks promising since their planner makes it easy to customize routes. I have not yet uploaded an rv route to my device to see out it works on the road. Planner is either app or online.

CoPilot is another. It was my longtime favorite until the company was sold in 2019 . The new owners removed/modified some of the features I liked. Plus those of us who had purchased lifetime or multi year subscriptions had our subscriptions cancelled without compensation.

All 3 of the above apps use downloadable maps and won’t require an internet data connection to function. They all offer free trial periods too.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
RV trip Wizard
Copilot
Sygic

RV Trip Wizard is not a GPS mapping app - it's companion product, RVLIFE Pro, is the GPS app.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:14 AM   #9

If you are looking for a driving device to guide you to a destination it is hard to beat the Garmin RV products.
However if you are looking for a Planning product, likewise it is hard to beat RV Trip Wizard.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:51 AM   #10

Hammer, Truckers Path and TruckMap.
I trust these over any auto/MH product.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:14 AM   #11

I posted this elsewhere but will repost in this thread in case it’s useful.

I've bought and used probably every app there is for iOS. I use them on an M1 iPad Air mounted in the motor home.

While I've used all of them in transit, I have three "tests" I use when evaluating:
On the route out leaving my home there are many ways to get to the Interstate that can be tricky for truck routing apps including curves, sharp turns, a roundabout, and narrow roads not suitable for an RV

I route to the KOA in Pigeon Forge which is somewhere we frequently visit. I like to see if apps will take me "the back way" which is a six lane highway that's lightly used or down the main drag with tons of traffic.

I route to Deer Creek Motorcoach Resort in Galax, VA. In Galax there is a truck route that bypasses the downtown area that GPS' don't frequently notice.

I always plan my route using RV Trip Wizard and Google Maps Street View unless I'm going somewhere very familiar because no GPS is perfect. With that said, here are my thoughts on the various apps:

Trucker Path ($249.99 Annually)
This is my favorite in the list so I'll put it first. It's expensive but it has the most useful features in my opinion of any that I've tried. Specifically the readout when when driving gives useful information like the distance to the next rest area, distance and price of fuel along your route, speed, upcoming turns, upcoming truck stops, and more. When trip planning you can easily get a satellite view and there are options to pick your entrance.

It's made for truckers but I've found good comments about how to navigate a truck stop or Harvest Host that I'm plotted to. It has the most consistent routing I've seen.

I don't really have many cons for this except that it is (of course) truck-centric and isn't made to cater to RVs. One con, I suppose, is that it's very late to the game with traffic. A few weeks ago I was sitting at a standstill for 30 minutes on I-40 before it said "Congestion Ahead." Gee, thanks for the heads up.

inRoute ($49.99 Annually)
This one is probably tied for second. The routing is almost as good but the interface is much more clunky. It uses Apple Maps for its map visualization so it feels modern and you can get 3D views which is pleasing to look at.

Searching and setting multiple waypoints is a little strange and when it tries to "optimize waypoints" it seems to scramble everything and reverts back to car directions. I was once running both this and Trucker Path through Memphis and this app wanted me to go waaaay out of my way to avoid a 5 minute slow down. I find the routing to be a bit more inconsistent.

CoPilot for RV (I bought this many years ago. Don't recall the cost)
This is my other #2. I like the customization of the app and routing but the interface feels 100 years old. Searching for destinations is like using the GPS I had in 2005 where you have to know the City the place is in before you can search for a business -- if it can even find it. You're best bet is to know the exact address of where you're plotting.

The UI is clunky and outdated. On an iPad it looks like a blown up version of a phone interface that's letterbox'd and doesn't even use the full screen.

If CoPilot would modernize the UI this would be my #1 hands down.

The only weird routing thing is with the KOA test I listed above. One trip I decided to just go the way I wanted and forget the navigation. Driving down an empty six lane road it told me to make a U Turn and go back to the main drag. It wasn't until I was less than half a mile away that it told me to continue to the destination.

Togo RV GPS ($49.99 Annually)
I like the suite of apps. The GPS is an afterthought. I don't know that this is much better than using Google Maps.

RV Life GPS ($49.99 Annually I think? I bought it with a promo)
Same as Togo. I dislike the mobile app for the entire RV Life suite and stick with the web versions. The GPS doesn't do a great job compared to the others.

Truck Driver Power - Truck GPS (Free)
I want to like this app so bad. This one got nearly everything right and has some amazing features. But they went overboard with Gamification. The routing is great. The features are awesome -- you can even overlay weather and see the potential weather when you expect to be at a portion of your route.

But the app feels too much like a game and the ads and "BOOSTS" are annoying. If you give them your email address you'll never stop getting spammed with progress and scores.

Sygic GPS Truck & Caravan (Don't Recall the Cost)
I bought this app before Google Maps was launched on iOS -- that long ago. I recently re-downloaded it and it didn't last long because it feels outdated and didn't have much to offer over the others.

Hammer (Free)
I like most everything about Hammer except the routing is usually just wrong. I usually have better luck just routing with Google Maps. For example, in the "Deer Creek" test listed above, not only does it fail the truck route but takes me way outside of town down a narrow, winding two lane road that is dangerous for anything other than a car. The only other GPS' that take a more ridiculous route are Togo and RV Life.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:05 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
If you are looking for a driving device to guide you to a destination it is hard to beat the Garmin RV products.
However if you are looking for a Planning product, likewise it is hard to beat RV Trip Wizard.
^^^^^^
what timjet said.

RV Trip Wizard is a great pre-trip planning tool.

A good Garmin for RVs provides directions as good as any app, they have a nice large screen, and they offer touch screen access to RV related facilities as well as rest areas and truck stops/fuel stations. Best of all the driver and passenger can see it and access it.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:31 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Curious why not just the RV Trip Wizard pro off your phone blue toothed into vehicle GPS to follow? The program lets you select RV friendly routes and download maps for loss of Wi-F? Just curious?
Old 01-03-2023, 01:47 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGaddy View Post
Curious why not just the RV Trip Wizard pro off your phone blue toothed into vehicle GPS to follow? The program lets you select RV friendly routes and download maps for loss of Wi-F? Just curious?

Not really understanding the question.

“Blue toothed into vehicle GPS” ? RV Life app running on a phone IS the GPS….it doesn’t send anything to a vehicle. (are you referring to “car play”?) where the screen is mirrored?

Yes, if the route is chosen when you have cellular connection, and maps are downloaded, then it will continue to function with a loss of cellular.

We run a Garmin RV770 GPS as the primary, and RV Life app on a phone as a backup to get a second opinion. I believe the Garmin gives better routes for a large RV most of the time IMHO
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps