Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2020, 04:31 AM   #15

I buy the largest screen and cheapest Garmin, then add the POI's I need. Garmin Traffic as well as cell phone gps only works where there is coverage. I always have paper backups of regular and trucker atlas.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 04:59 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Why should CoPilot on my iPhone not work just as well as a stand alone GPS. I have the maps for all of North America stored in the phone. No signal is required,

Joel

I have a Garmin 770 and run copilot on a tablet simultaneously as we travel. I can tell you the Garmin consistently gives better routing results. Also the Garmin has lifetime traffic, where the copilot requires a separate subscription for traffic on my unit. I bought copilot when it was buy once and done, vs monthly subscription. I do update the copilot app and maps regularly.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #17

I also bought the Co-Pilot when it was buy once and done and I agree completely with the weakness in the routing choices Co-Pilot often makes. I am looking at the new Garmin's but am still reluctant since I had a Tom/Tom that advertised as lifetime maps, which turned out to be only 4 years. I don't know if Garmin stops supporting their older models.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #18

I use my iphone and google maps. I am smart enough not to trust it 100%. If i am taking a route that I have never been, I ask on this forum for real world experience. I also use the Allstays app to check for low bridges and tunnels. 100,000 miles and this has worked for me.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
I prefer a stand alone RV GPS. If you ever go to Alaska thru Canada, your phone will not suffice. There's plenty of places in the US where this will also be the case.

A separate unit which can be placed on the dash will have more functionality and will be easier to view than a built in unit.

Same here. Stand alone unit. Dash unit, I could never get updated. Phone will not suffice in many places. BUT, I do use Waze on the phone, and mountain maps, in conjunction with the GPS. Better to have a multitude of methods.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I consider an RV-specific GPS necessary for RV'ing. They're not perfect, but can certainly be a great help. Don't know about the apps.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Why should CoPilot on my iPhone not work just as well as a stand alone GPS. I have the maps for all of North America stored in the phone. No signal is required,

Joel
Joel,

I understand you can download maps to your phone but how does it know where you are in there is no cell signal? Just curious.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #22

I pulled the following statement from the CoPilot site:

CoPilot uses GPS signal to determine your position on the map.

Again, CoPilot does not have the features of the Garmin.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #23

I really like my Garmin 770.
Lifetime maps.
Traffic up ahead.
Can pull up distance to next rest stop.
Can set length and height.
Can sit in my easy chair to program for next leg.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Use variety of nav apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I haven't seen much on this question; Is an RV specific GPS necessary? If so, are they just stand alone or is there an app?
Hello, we use a variety of Nav devices; IPhone/iPad...Waze, Google Maps, Google Earth, Garmin GPG, Rand McNally Trucker's Road Atlas.

Sheryl
Segrieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Since I'm on the budget plan I use a Garmin Nuvi 50 with lifetime maps from eBay. A $20 used GPS works perfect for me.

I don't need guidance with low bridges, weight limits, etc.
If you ar driving a Class A or a 5th wheel, then yes, you do need low heights, low bridges, weight limit, etc. information! Especially if towing a toad. If any of the above happens, how do you turn around and get out? With the Garmin RV770, you can at least plan ahead. If you are in a pop-up camper or a TT, maybe not. But the Nuvi's might work for you or on the other hand, they might not.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I use my iphone and google maps. I am smart enough not to trust it 100%. If i am taking a route that I have never been, I ask on this forum for real world experience. I also use the Allstays app to check for low bridges and tunnels. 100,000 miles and this has worked for me.
Agree 100% you should not trust a GPS for everything. I use a paper Rand McNally road atlas, "The Next Exit" book, and other stuff to complement the GPS. As both me and the DW are severely hearing disabled, we need all the help we can get!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an RV870 Garmin GPS that I leave in my camper. I like it because you can set your rig length with or w/out a toad, height and weight as well and add wireless cameras. Where I like to camp my phone and iPad (cell enabled) will not get a signal. I also have paper maps.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Joel,

I understand you can download maps to your phone but how does it know where you are in there is no cell signal? Just curious.

Thanks

No GPS (neither stand alone nor phone app) use a phone signal to know where they are. Rather, they determine their position from measuring the difference in time that it takes a radio signal to travel from 4 (or preferably more of the 30+) GPS satellites, and knowing the precise position of those satellites.

See https://timeandnavigation.si.edu/mul...-does-gps-work

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps