RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

GPS or not GPS

I haven't seen much on this question; Is an RV specific GPS necessary? If so, are they just stand alone or is there an app?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #2

If you look through the pages here after clicking on the New Posts button, you will quickly see an ad:
Turn Your Phone Into An RV Safe GPS

Check it out...

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I haven't seen much on this question; Is an RV specific GPS necessary? If so, are they just stand alone or is there an app?
necessary? absolutely not. we got along well for years using paper maps. I still carry a road atlas as a 'Plan B' and suggest you do the same. useful tool to have? yup.

stand-alone GPS systems are widely available as are iPhone and android apps. i prefer the stand-alone (ours is built into the dash). that frees up my phone and tablet for other uses while driving. one is usually looking at weather radar and the other at Waze for traffic issues.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #4

I prefer a stand alone RV GPS. If you ever go to Alaska thru Canada, your phone will not suffice. There's plenty of places in the US where this will also be the case.

A separate unit which can be placed on the dash will have more functionality and will be easier to view than a built in unit.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

I have used the Co-Pilot app for a couple of years and it provides guidance based on the size of your RV and the navigation routes, except on rare occasions, have been as expected. But, Co-Pilot is not a Garmin. I personally prefer to use my IPhone since I already have it in a holder just above my camera systems and the other apps I use are all stored on my Iphone.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't seen much ?!? - I see about two question a week on it (at least)
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/rv-g...ml#post5325897

Needed, No... but makes it much easier once you prove it to yourself (which I have)
My phone doesn't take into account weight, length, and height which are important...

I trust My Garmin RV760's - use the second one as a backup camera in my jeep toad...
Old 06-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you use something free like Google maps then it will route you assuming you are a car or pickup truck not checking for height, weight, or road restrictions. For example I mapped a route using RV Parky , that uses Google maps. I do that just to get the map I can share with family and friends so they can see what I'm up to. I don't trust it to properly route my 29' RV pulling a car. It routed me over Independence Pass, which is 12% grade, over 12,000 feet at summit and length limited to 35'.

I also like Standalone GPS for those times my cell phone has no or weak signal and the route can't recalculate if I miss a turn or pull of to eat or fuel up. The Standalone GPS also has POI tables to quickly preview where the truck stops will be to stop and get fuel and be sure I can get in and out.

If you don't want a standalone GPS use something like RV Trip Wizard, there are always adds for it on IRV2.com you can click on.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #8

I have a Garmin RV770 which I like very much. It works a lot better than standard Garmin units meant for automobiles. The RV770 is an extremely bright and easy-to-read display and if you program it correctly it will warn you of low clearance bridges and other RV-specific hazards. I've never been able to get the traffic ahead function to work right though.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #9

I used google maps to get home from buying my coach in Florida in 2016 (1,000 miles), and it was a nightmare, directing me to turn down side streets to shave off a few hundred yards where 2 highways met at a sharp angle, trying to do map updates while in poor cell coverage areas, directing me down weight rated county roads, etc. Sure google maps, and the other cell phone mapping apps have improved, but they still treat things as if everyone is in a passenger car. One of the first upgrades I did was to get a Garmin GPS which supported weight, size and height limitation.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #10

RV GPS will work where other devices will not. Setting for RV height, weight and length and mostly proper routings.
HDGoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #11

Since I'm on the budget plan I use a Garmin Nuvi 50 with lifetime maps from eBay. A $20 used GPS works perfect for me.

I don't need guidance with low bridges, weight limits, etc.
Camper25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
I prefer a stand alone RV GPS. If you ever go to Alaska thru Canada, your phone will not suffice. There's plenty of places in the US where this will also be the case.

A separate unit which can be placed on the dash will have more functionality and will be easier to view than a built in unit.

Why should CoPilot on my iPhone not work just as well as a stand alone GPS. I have the maps for all of North America stored in the phone. No signal is required,

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Why should CoPilot on my iPhone not work just as well as a stand alone GPS. I have the maps for all of North America stored in the phone. No signal is required,

Joel

Will it do anything to prevent routing you down roads with weight rated bridges, etc?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Will it do anything to prevent routing you down roads with weight rated bridges, etc?

The RV version will.

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps