Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #1

I just purchased a TomTom XL model. It will be used in a Class A. I was just wondering if others had found the need to use an external antenna ??

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #2

I just purchased a TomTom XL model. It will be used in a Class A. I was just wondering if others had found the need to use an external antenna ??

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have used various GPS units in my MH and have never had a problem with the GPS finding satellites. Never needed an external antenna I just place the unit near the front window.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Going from coast to coast I have only lost the signal in Atlanta, GA when the GPS is on the dash. Lost it going east on the way to SC and on the way west going home.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never found a need to wish for an external GPS antenna.

However, in both central Iowa and central Georgia I have had very mixed results. In both cases my Garmin lost signal momentarily and came back telling me to turn onto a road that was dirt and did not exist on the hard copy map.

I ignored the instruction and kept driving fearful of an alien abduction.

A few miles later Garmin recalculated the route and all was well.

This happen twice in Iowa which has caused me to re-route my trips to avoid it...something is strange in Iowa and maybe Georgia.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">something is strange in Iowa and maybe Georgia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
definitely in Georgia!! A certain peanut farmer lives in the SW part.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

My RV has a nearly vertical windshield and I get less satellite without an external antenna than I do with one plugged in. I was able to install one inside the coach in the front cap and the signal improvement is significant. Now, with that said, I have seen absolutely NO difference in performance by the GPS unit. 6 satellites gives me the same accuracy in both location and directions that 10 satellites give me. We have been in a few places like the skyscraper canyons of Chicago where I believe an external antenna would have made a difference (didn't have it at that time) but other than that one experience we simply don't bother to hook the cable up 90% of the time(even though it sits right beside "Chicky").
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you have an aluminum roof you should not see much difference with an external antenna. Fiberglass or rubber room does not attenuate GPS signals. I have a Holux GPS repeater that I use in another application and tried it in the coach. No difference at all. The newer GPS chipsets are much better than previous generations. An external antenna or repeater might help some early GPS receivers though.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote