Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Think I have 5 GPS with me at the moment, hand held, tablet, car or RV. Just before the trip south got the the RV760 LOT 7" screen RV oriented and voice control plus a backup camera for another $100(didn't get this option) Has been great, EZ to see, EZ to program although I must admit you do need to run through things before you need them, like the voice commands but it works great. Also has the lane a assist witch is a must for a big rig. Also has lots of RV options like where are most items we need on the road, file, parks, points of interest. I would recommend this unit.

LEN
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have used Garmin for years because if its good enough to put in an airplane its good enough for me. To me they are the gold standard for GPS. I have the 760LMT for RVs 7" screen and really easy to set up and program
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We travel with 2 RandMcNally RV models (7" screens), a Garmin Nuvi, and apps on smart phone and tablets (iPad and Galaxy)...they ALL make mistakes and we double check with paper maps.

The RM models are equal or better than the Garmin when considering the price point and RV specific information preloaded including Good Sam and other RV-Centric applications.

The dedicated GPS' are better than the phones and tablets because there is no need access to the interweb for mapping and traffic.

I am sure there are apps for the phones and tablets to cut the web loading of maps, but that would be another subscription purchase that is not needed since we have lifetime map updates on the GPS'.

YMMV,
Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the 7720 that we use in our DSDP. The Magna we're working on getting has a Kenwood GPS built in, hope it works as well as the 7720 and I can get map upgrades. Yep, looks like I can, for $95! For that I might as well keep using the 7720!
So far I've had at least 6 GPS's and the 7720 is the best.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We use a combination of Rand McNally and Garmin. What features one lack are made up for in the other. Most of the time they agree but when they dont we generally follow the Rand.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since you are new to the GPS world I will give u some advice that I hope will save you some aggravation..occasionally the GPS will lead you down a gravel or even a dirt road. Which we have learned never to follow. One time we really got in a pinch when we followed GPS onto a dirt road. So now no matter what GPS says we never go off paved roads. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf46 View Post
I have used Garmin for years because if its good enough to put in an airplane its good enough for me. To me they are the gold standard for GPS. I have the 760LMT for RVs 7" screen and really easy to set up and program
X2 on 760 LMT - but... I still use A road map - Map Quest on the Cell and Pad when making plans. Trust but verify...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #22

There are several good brands to choose from as evidenced above. Make sure your choice has a lifetime maps access. I believe that one of the new Garmins has a Bluetooth option to set or change the route on your smart phone or tablet and it will reprogram the dash unit. That is a useful feature. I have used a Tom Tom for a number of years and it was less than $100 in Wally World. It has lifetime maps and has never let me down. I wish it had a larger screen, but I use it in my small toad also, so it is a compromise. My next will be the Garmin with Bluetooth.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #23

The Garmin RV760 LMT is great! Big clear display, Bluetooth for the cell phone, and voice commands makes this unit a standout! I use the new Garmin friction mount base, and the unit haven't moved an inch since I put it on the dash.
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We use our Samsung Galaxy Note II's and Google Maps all the time. No extra gear to buy.

We can see what's nearby (attractions, restaurants, stores, supplies) and click a link to see the website and contact info as well as reviews all from the same gear. Click to call too.

Have yet to see a need to add another gadget to do less.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #25

I too like Google Maps however it does use a lot of data and will not work offline unless you first download a map of the area. If you are travelling this means downloading a bunch of small area maps.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #26

Howdy!

I use Google map and gps guidance also but find it slow to up date using online data connection. I find using Co-pliot that uses downloaded maps to my devise is much more quicker in updating movements on the gps.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Gemini 5362, you mentioned "The 7730 has the capability to let you highlight a portion of the map and exclude it from being considered in your route. The Garmin has the same ability." I am not familiar with this option on the Garmin. Is it a new function? I know I can avoid things like toll roads and such but I am not aware of how to exclude an area or city. I would be curious, as well as grateful, if you or anyone else could tell me how it is done. I know there are times when I wish I could do it. My Garmin is a 3590LMT and I use it in both the coach and car.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #28
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythedog View Post
Hi, we are about to purchase our first GPS device. We are looking at the Garmin, Magellan or Tom Tom. Any and all experiences with recommendations appreciated!

Thanks and safe travels!
I have a Garmin and like it, but with a larger RV you might want something for truck or you can configure so It knows your height/length and weight. I also like using apps on a iPad.

KC

Tags
gps