Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #1

Does anyone have any suggestions on what GPS software I should buy to install on my laptop to assist us while traveling in my Class A with directions? I tried "Co-pilot RV " edition but got rid of it after it sent me onto restricted cars only roads (near Washington), sent me way out of the way going to the west route around Washington instead of the quicker eastern route, sent me onto roads that didn't exist, and warned me 50' to exit on a 55 MPH freeway. Does anyone have any recommendations on a reliable software system? Any responses would be deeply appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #2

Does anyone have any suggestions on what GPS software I should buy to install on my laptop to assist us while traveling in my Class A with directions? I tried "Co-pilot RV " edition but got rid of it after it sent me onto restricted cars only roads (near Washington), sent me way out of the way going to the west route around Washington instead of the quicker eastern route, sent me onto roads that didn't exist, and warned me 50' to exit on a 55 MPH freeway. Does anyone have any recommendations on a reliable software system? Any responses would be deeply appreciated.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #3

We have DeLorme Street Atlas it came with the USB GPS receiver.

I only have used it once to go and pick up the TT in April, it got us there! Was pretty cool would tell when turns are coming, correctly, and shows how far to the next exit. You can tell it the points of interests you want to appear on the map...such as campgrounds..state parks..etc.

I purchased this one because of the price, it was just around 100 at Best Buy. Soon after we used it I read a good review of it in Woodalls.

My brother in law who is a truck driver has just started using it and he says that it is working out pretty good for him.

I also found a web site for him that he will use at times.

I will be using it again in a couple weeks when we head up to Saratoga. The only problem I had and I guess it was more of hardware issue was I couldn't hear it very well...not loud enough..but that is more of hardware issue not the software.

Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #4

I have Trailer Life Campground Navigator. It shows the campgrounds and RV parks right on the map. Put mouse over RV park on map and it will give you a complete description with phone # and everything. This software is made by undertow software. I use it with a $70.00 holux GPS card I got on E-Bay and it works great
Steve St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bought the DeLorme with GPS, and went on line
and got the drivers for the MS-Streets&Trips.
IMHO, MS-Streets & Trips!!! TENN.VOL.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We are using Delorme Street Atlas upgraded to 2005. On a scale of 10, would give it a 7. Seems to work but we do have to watch it. Have missed turns, gone on roads that had we known would not have taken, and are unhappy with the correctness of the roads.(some interstates in Mesa, AZ open for over 2 years are still non-existent in SA 2005)

It is all we have used so it still may be better than the others, we do not know. Good luck and share your experience with the rest of thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We use the MS streets and trips and love it. It is not very accurate in Mexico. They claim it has more info from Canada then the others. It come with the gps receiver for about $100. Then annual upgrades are about $50 or less. The program has been great to me and I would not leave home with out it. I would love to hear from anyone who has used this program and the delorme system to do a real comparison of the two programs. The one thing I head the delorme programs does which the S&T does not do is find a place that is in your travel route. For example, lets say I had a route planned and it is near the end of my driving day. I want to find the closest wal mart with in 5 miles of my planned route. Or say i wanted to find the next truck stop etc. S&T will not do this unless you find a city and do a search for the name in that city. I have heard that the delorme system will do this very easily. This years version also has audio directions, which I did not find very useful.
We are planning on an extended trip starting in sept and I may just purchase the delorme system so I could do an accurate comparrision of the two programs.
Hope this is of some help.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:50 AM   #8

I have the MS Street & Trips for planning before the trip. I have a Pioneer built in to my dash of the RV for actual navigation. I only use MS S&T for planning.

The above poster said:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For example, lets say I had a route planned and it is near the end of my driving day. I want to find the closest wal mart with in 5 miles of my planned route. Or say i wanted to find the next truck stop etc. S&T will not do this unless you find a city and do a search for the name in that city. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is how I handle that. MS S&T will import Excel and text delimited files that show the locations as push pins. I have Excel files of Super Wallys, TA, Flying J, RV parks with free WiFi and others. I import these and then look at the area around where MS S&T says will be the end of my day. By clicking on the desired push pin, I now have my destination for the day.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve:
We are using Delorme Street Atlas upgraded to 2005. On a scale of 10, would give it a 7. Seems to work but we do have to watch it. Have missed turns, gone on roads that had we known would not have taken, and are unhappy with the correctness of the roads.(some interstates in Mesa, AZ open for over 2 years are still non-existent in SA 2005)

Be sure you have upgraded the new Magnetic Sat file from Delorme.com. It was released this year, around Feb/2006
It is all we have used so it still may be better than the others, we do not know. Good luck and share your experience with the rest of thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Be sure you have upgraded the new Magnetic Sat file from Delorme.com. It was released this year, around Feb/2006 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 2005 we had to do an upgrade to continue to use SA. So assuming this is a new upgrade, that we were not aware of, the power of IRV2 has assisted us again.

Thanks rogueii.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here is how I handle that. MS S&T will import Excel and text delimited files that show the locations as push pins. I have Excel files of Super Wallys, TA, Flying J, RV parks with free WiFi and others. I import these and then look at the area around where MS S&T says will be the end of my day. By clicking on the desired push pin, I now have my destination for the day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JamesOne,
Saw your post where you talked about that Excel file you use with MS Streets and Trips. Where did you get it? I'm interested in obtaining that info.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom from Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #12

Here is where I started:

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

I then revised the ones that interested me to include information I wanted. Some I started from scratch, e.g., Parks With Free WiFi. My files include:

Cracker Barrel
Flying J
TA TravelCenters of America
Super Wal-Marts
Freightliner Dealers
Winnebago Dealers
State Capitols
Canadian Border Crossings
Mexican Border Crossings
RV Parks With Free WiFi

All of these are Excel files that can be imported into MS Streets & Trips. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to send you copies. Send me an email request at jamesh8257@aol.com This is just a hobby so there is no charge. The files become yours to use any way you want.

Of course, I welcome any corrections, additions, etc, particularly to the Free WiFi file. Many of the parks listed were added as a result of information from people who have downloaded the file. It now contains 645 parks.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The same types of files from the same source will work on Street Atlas, too. I've imported many of the same files as James and have SA setup to display them or not, depending on my travel needs. SA has "draw layers" in the 2006 version which permit combining multiple business or using only one if that is what you need. I like have all of the truck stop companies displayed to help me in looking at my fuel stop options coming up.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #14

DeLorme has their 2007 version coming out in mid-August and Family Motor Coach magazine has an ad in the July issue with a $10 off coupon (use code 8581). Call 800-561-5105. I have no relationship with DeLorme, just passing on info. about the deal :-) .

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote