Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #1

GPS tracking

Anyone familiar with the GPS tracking programs? I am interested in being able to go back an track where I have been on trips. Have heard about the ones where parents track kids--something like that, but with the objective of being able to check where I was and when I was there.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Anyone familiar with the GPS tracking programs? I am interested in being able to go back an track where I have been on trips. Have heard about the ones where parents track kids--something like that, but with the objective of being able to check where I was and when I was there.
Joe
My Garmin (and I think all Garmin units) put tick marks on the route taken.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #3

Need software program to use with laptop, and be able to look up at any time where I traveled. I use factory nav system, so don't want to purchase a separate GPS unit. Have heard of some, just don't know how to find/evaluate them.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #4

I have been using Delorme Street Atlas for years.
Laptop GPS Bundles - DeLorme
Runs on a laptop and the GPS receiver can just sit on the dash. Works really well and records everything. Inexpensive.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
paz

Another vote for DeLorme.

DeLorme SA when used in conjunction with the plug-in GPS unit can definitely be set up to track and save your route.

We have DeLorme Street Atlas and also the GPS unit that plugs into a USB port on the computer. Even though we now use a Garmin nüvi for navigation, we really like DeLorme SA for mapping (we also tried Microsoft Streets & Trips). One feature of DeLorme SA I really like is the ability to have master files (called Map Files) that are collections of individual routes. This makes it convenient to map numerous routes (your entire travels for the summer, for example or alternate routes to a specific destination), and keep them organized in one place. MS S&T does not have this feature unless they have added it in more recent versions.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #6

Delorme TOPO with GPS here!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

Garmin does that, at least mine does. Download from GPS to computer using MapSource software.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

I won a copy of Streets and Trips with a receiver from RV Education 101 over the summer. I have used S&T 2006 in the past when we traveled to Texas. It worked great. We used it to find some property we bought in TX. We put the coordinates into the program and it lead us within a few feet of property line markers. I was rather amazed.

There is a feature called GPS Trail that lets you see where you have been. In a week I'll get to test out the 2011 version on our trip to AZ.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

Just about every GPS keeps "bread crumbs" (in GPS lingo "tracks") and many can be uploaded to a PC to save and view later.

I upload my Garmin Nuvi every month or so into Garmin's MapSource product and keep ALL my travels on file there. You can do the same using Google Earth and countless other programs. It takes no time and no hassle to do the upload and it does prove to be interesting to see exactly where I've been over time.

GPSBabel is the premier (and free) converter utility (both web based and download-able) between the various GPS maker formats. I also upload all my hikes from a Garmin handheld I use as well and then overlay them on the USGS TOPO! maps (as well as Earth). Also keep all of my hikes/bike in a another file on MapSource.

I almost always carry a handheld GPS around wherever I go simply using it as a recording device. The upload and saving is so trivial to do it makes it easy to save the "tracks." Then bringing up the last few years of tracks on a map makes for an excellent memory jogger of places visited.

Though I do use Streets & Trips frequently for on-road planning/routing, it is an exceedingly poor storage place for GPS tracks and offers no real track management tools. It also is poor at off-road (i.e. hike) planning. The mainstays in the off-road world are Garmin and Magellean. Even Tom-Tom tends to be on-road biased.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #10

Again, thanks for the replies. I guess I haven't made myself clear on what I would like to do--and I think it involves a tracking transmitter for the vehicle. Don't want a laptop in the front seat; don't want a secondary GPS unit as my truck has in-dash nav; I would like to be able to have the laptop be able to see where I have been AFTER the trip, or during nighttime stops. Seem to remember programs that lets parents track the kids' car, or like a CSI deal you see on TV.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #11

OH! Like a data logger of where the vehicle has been. Search for GPS data logger. There are tons on the market. I don't have any experience with them so can't vouch for any.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
A...don't want a secondary GPS unit as my truck has in-dash nav...
Anything that does this geo-logging is going to be "another" GPS.

The specific data logging teen/pet tracker devices are all (single purpose) GPS. Many smartphones have a built in GPS device. So you will be getting another GPS one way or another. So maybe you might want a smartphone instead? You might want also consider a more general purpose GPS to use as both a logger and as another toy.

Does you in-dash have a data port you can access or take a memory card? If so you can probably just use it.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #13

Delorme Street Atlas keeps a log of everywhere you've been, speed,date and time.... see my earlier post for link to complete description. If you want someone to be able to track where you are over the net, that't a CPS tracker...
Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #14

Thanks, could not think of what it was called...
Joe

Tags
gps