Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I am not sure where this fits, so........
I am looking for a "power inverter" or "adapter"? to use my Laptop with a 12V plug in our TT or TV.
I have seen a plug-in that goes in the cigarette
lighter and the regular AC cord plugs in to that but I am only seeing 70W units and I believe I need 135W at least. Does anyone use one of these?? Know where I could get one ..OR ?? I do not want to spend a fortune if I can help it!
I would like to Know How you use your laptop or notebook on the road. (I do use a power surge protector when we use our generator or on shore power)
Any and All comments will Really be appreciated !!
CactusCampin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am not sure where this fits, so........
I am looking for a "power inverter" or "adapter"? to use my Laptop with a 12V plug in our TT or TV.
I have seen a plug-in that goes in the cigarette
lighter and the regular AC cord plugs in to that but I am only seeing 70W units and I believe I need 135W at least. Does anyone use one of these?? Know where I could get one ..OR ?? I do not want to spend a fortune if I can help it!
I would like to Know How you use your laptop or notebook on the road. (I do use a power surge protector when we use our generator or on shore power)
Any and All comments will Really be appreciated !!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #3

If you're referring to an adapter that plugs into an AC outlet, I have two laptops here. One says it requires 12 v, 3.3 amps minimum. The other says 20 v 3.5 amps. The computers and their power supplies say the same things. If you're looking for an inverter that plugs into a 12 v source for the computer power supply to plug into, it looks like anything 70 watts or greater would work just for the computer. If you're going to run anything else off it, you would need something larger. For instance my small printer says 16 watts, which would be in addition to the computer requirements.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CactusCampin':
I am looking for a "power inverter" or "adapter"? to use my Laptop with a 12V plug in our TT or TV. I have seen a plug-in that goes in the cigarette lighter and the regular AC cord plugs in to that but I am only seeing 70W units and I believe I need 135W at least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our laptop is a Gateway and I bought the 12VDC adapter when I ordered the computer. You need to check the power consumption specs of the laptop. My 5-yr old Gateway apparently uses less than 60 watts, as the adapter label is: Input: 12-16VDC, 6.5amp max. Output: 5-24VDC 60W max.

I suggest you check with the computer manufacturer if the information isn't listed on the computer or in the owner's manual. While Gateway was a bit pricey, I got the unit that works best with my computer.

We don't often have to use the computer on 12VDC, and usually are plugged in at an RV park with 120VAC available. However, I like the idea of having both power sources available.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #5

I solved that problem by simply going to good old Wal-Mart and getting a 300 watt inverter that simply plugs into the cigarette lighter.

The 300 watt model weighs about 5 or 6 ounces and is about the size of 4 packs of cigarettes held together.. it slips right inside the outside pocket of my computer carrying case..

Now I can simply use the same power cord that I would use at home in a 110 vt receptacle..

And by getting the 300 watt model, I am able to plug in and use my "HP All-IN ONE" color printer-scanner-copier while using the laptop at the same time..

The little 70 watt model sold for $19.99 and the 300 watt model was $29.99..

For $10. difference, I solved my portability problem with my laptop and printer/scanner/copier..

Works like a charm.. why not give it a try...

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #6

Same as John, have been using a 350W inverter that plugs into cigarette lighter for almost 3 years now. I also have a "Cheep" printer that I print postcards on with pictures from the digital camera. Get postcard stock at Office Max/depot/ or Staples, works great grand kids love pictures of grandma!

Bruce
Old 03-15-2005, 06:48 AM   #7

I also have the same thing that John uses.
This little inverter also runs a tv(not at same time).
Joe
An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #8

Depending on the power req'mts as stated on the back of your laptop, you may well be able to use your 70W'er.

BUT, first start the laptop on its internal battery, then plug it into the inverter.

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #9

I got a Xantrex at Camping World. The package said it was for tvs and computers. Works fine. Cost was around $25-30.00

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #10

I bought one at walmart for around 25 bucks.350 watt.My laptop only needs 90 watts and have it velcroed to floor under cup holder. We also used it in our golfcart in Myrtle Beach for red white and blue lights during 4th of july at night,kids got a big kick out of it.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all your help! I did e-mail the manufacturer but the specs were confusing to me!
I did check into a few places and with all your help I think I will go to one of my favorite places--Wal-Mart!
Thanks again for speedy responses!

Lori
Old 03-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Here is a good site from Honda..full of stuff about power needs. Just remember Watts=VoltsxAmps..Amps=Watts/Volts. The back of my HP notebook says 18v&6.5a or 117watts.
Hope this helps.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/genwat.asp
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:17 AM   #13

What I would recommend is that you get a SMART DC-DC converter. They run around $80.00.

With this converter you go directly from your 12 volt deep cycle batteries to your notebook computer, no inverter and AC-DC power supply converter in the line up!!!

This will save you electrical ENERGY which is important if you run the computer at night and are boondocking.

There are smart DC-DC converters at various wattages AND ADJUSTABLE VOLTAGES. The one I purchased works on both my notebooks. Both take 19 volts. One uses 6 amps and the other 3 amps. Guess which one I use while boondocking?

Automobile Adapter GW-POO6VA adjustable from 15 to 21 volts. 90 watts max. AND IT DOESN"T EVEN GET WARM!!!

David/Zetron
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote