Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #1

I just switched from Directv to Dish Network because of Directv's HD being mostly on or going to the KA band. I have a Kingdome in-motion satellite dish with a dual LNB for which I have ordered a software upgrade and a new control box. According to Kingdome tech support this what I would need for Dish Network HD compatibility. This upgrade allows the dome to switch satellite automatically between the 110 119 129 or the 61.5 satellite.

I did not want to incur the expense at the moment of replacing the Kingdome with one of the MotoSat or Winegard HD satellite dishes yet. The other thing I don't like at the moment is that I now have to make a permanent choice of satellite dishes as HD capable dishes are not interchangeable anymore between Directv and Dish Network.

Now the Dish Network installer told me that the 722 DVR from Dish Network will probably not work with the Kingdome satellite disk. I called Kingdome tech support to verify this and they say that most likely it would not work with a dual receiver. It will work with a single HD receiver (not DVR) that has only a single tuner (single input)
Does anyone have a Dish Network 622 or 722 DVR working on a Kingdome satellite dish and receives HD channels? I Know we discussed this in the past but not with the dual receiver DVRs in the mix

My coach is out for repairs at the moment and I can't verify if the Kingdome Satellite dish will work with a Dish Network 622 or 722 DVR on HD or not or if it will work at all with just SD.

Any help or info would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #2

HD Dish Network DVR not working with Kingdome in-motion satellite dish ?

I just switched from Directv to Dish Network because of Directv's HD being mostly on or going to the KA band. I have a Kingdome in-motion satellite dish with a dual LNB for which I have ordered a software upgrade and a new control box. According to Kingdome tech support this what I would need for Dish Network HD compatibility. This upgrade allows the dome to switch satellite automatically between the 110 119 129 or the 61.5 satellite.

I did not want to incur the expense at the moment of replacing the Kingdome with one of the MotoSat or Winegard HD satellite dishes yet. The other thing I don't like at the moment is that I now have to make a permanent choice of satellite dishes as HD capable dishes are not interchangeable anymore between Directv and Dish Network.

Now the Dish Network installer told me that the 722 DVR from Dish Network will probably not work with the Kingdome satellite disk. I called Kingdome tech support to verify this and they say that most likely it would not work with a dual receiver. It will work with a single HD receiver (not DVR) that has only a single tuner (single input)
Does anyone have a Dish Network 622 or 722 DVR working on a Kingdome satellite dish and receives HD channels? I Know we discussed this in the past but not with the dual receiver DVRs in the mix

My coach is out for repairs at the moment and I can't verify if the Kingdome Satellite dish will work with a Dish Network 622 or 722 DVR on HD or not or if it will work at all with just SD.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Did you have a DVR before? It's possible that they problem they're anticipating is that you won't be able to use both tuners with a single-output in-motion dome. In that case, you would have to use the setup menus in the DVR to tell it there's only one feed from the "dish".

joe
Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you have a DVR before </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,
Yes, I had a Directv DVR prior to this. My Kingdome satellite dish has a dual LNB with two feeds coming from it and I had two different model DVRs working at different times. They however were standard definition DVRs. They were the UlimateTV DVR (TIVO) and an R15.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you have a DVR before </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,
Yes, I had a Directv DVR prior to this. My Kingdome satellite dish has a dual LNB with two feeds coming from it and I had two different model DVRs working at different times. They however were standard definition DVRs. They were the UlimateTV DVR (TIVO) and an R15. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Sounds odd to me. I'd sure like to hear what specifically is the problem that Kingdome and/or Dish is concerned with. My best guess is that your previous setup never actually switched between sats, even though DirecTV had some SD programming on 119. 110 has always been just HD. To get HD on Dish, you need to be able to switch between 110 and 119. I bet it would work fine if you only connected one input, because then it could switch as that one tuner requests, with no other tuner loosing signal.

joe
Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Harry B,
I am experiencing the same problem. I have just upgraded the software in my King Dome and the tuner seem to find the satellites. The VIP722 DVR expects two dish inputs and it cannot set the proper switch setting. I am getting a VIP211 HD receiver that King Controls recommends. I sure will miss the record feature. The King Controls tech said that the 722 might be able to work but he was not sure. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #7

So far, I have not been able to try out the 722 DVR to see what it will or will not do as I am having problems upgrading the Kingdome dish. King Control however confirmed after I caled them back that the dome will not work with dual tuner (DVR) receivers from Dish Network. King Controls send me the software upgrade box and a new tuner for $300 without the serial cable, so I wait for them to send me the cable. The cable finally arrives and now it turns out that the upgrade box is bad and no other box is available as they are all out in the field or at rallies nor can they tell me when one will be available.

So after spending the $300 for a new tuner for the Kingdome Satellite Dome which I can't utilize without the software upgrade, it looks like I will be leaving for 3 months without the Kingdome satellite working with Dish Network. I should have just gone with a Motosat dish stayed with DirecTV and move on and forget about the Kingdome Dish. Talk about being P.O.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Harry,
If it is any consolation, I just took the upgrade box that I used to upgrade to HD satellite settings (Dish 1000) to the post office yesterday. So that is one less in the field.

Tom
Old 07-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #9

Thanks Tom for the feedback. Have you tried operating the DVR in split mode. I believe that it would work that way on just on the #1 receiver. You would have to connect the coax cable that controls the Kingdome to the input of the #1 receiver. It might not make all the scheduled recordings as they do use both receivers to record at times. As I understand the operation of the 722 DVR after digging into how it works is that receiver #1 works at the normal(standard) frequency but hat the #2 receiver gets it's signal from the LNB at a higher frequency which is unique to Dish Network called Dish Pro Plus. It allows them to feed both receivers from the LNB through a single RG6 coax cable. If I get an update box in time I will let you know how it works out in split mode.

I like your Cavalier by the way . We have one as well (tri color). Her name is Sadie. Absolutely great dogs. We have had several kinds of dogs but never enjoyed one as much as Sadie our Cavalier KC.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #10

Just to update this post, I finally got the software update for the Kingdome satellite dome installed. After installing the software I tried to get the 722 DVR from Dish Network to work and after many tries and changes I was finally successful but I am limited to one receiver. I now have the #1 receiver working on all three satellites (61.5, 110 and 119) and I am getting all my channels.

The #2 receiver will not work with the Kingdome dome, as it operates at a higher non standard frequency that the Kingdome satellite does not produce. At least I have a half functioning DVR and HD reception, which is more than either the Kingdome techs or dish Network techs indicated I would get.

You have to put the 722 in split mode and limit the recording to the #1 receiver via one of the menu settings. It does not try to record via the second receiver anymore when it sees there is no input signal from the dish. You also have to make sure that the coax controls and runs via the Kingdome receiver box in case of a dual LNB is connected to receiver input #1 and it will change the satellite dish to any of the three satellites automatically as needed.

The bottom line is that I can record via only one receiver, record the OTA channels and concurrently watch previously made recordings while it is recording new programs, so I am satisfied. I did not have to resort to just a receiver with no DVR features.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #11

I too am trying to connect a Dish 722 to Kingdome 9762-LP. Is this still working for you. Can you watch 2 TVs concurrently while not recording?
Laaseh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #12

Ok depending on what model of Dome you have. Dish will need 2 feeds yes some of the domes do have dual Lnb and yes take both lines straight in to the receiver and should work. The problem is if tv 2 is watching something different or recording it could be on a different satellite. So the dish with a single dual lnd cant turn one with out the the other only one at a time. So your locals might be on 119 and HD on 129 the dish cant split to get both. Yes it will work but not the way you would like. A 211 is best and split the tv signal out to other rooms. Iv been in the field for 21 years so just not a Joe blow talking. You need to know what you want when ordering so the correct dish can be placed.
2Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
I have a Kingdome in-motion satellite dish with a dual LNB for which I have ordered a software upgrade and a new control box.
Now the Dish Network installer told me that the 722 DVR from Dish Network will probably not work with the Kingdome satellite disk. I called Kingdome tech support to verify this and they say that most likely it would not work with a dual receiver.
Harry B
According to what you wrote I would say it will probably "not work" and/or most likely would "not work".
Good luck, and keep us posted.

Mel '96 Safari, KingDome & DirecTV, (for 14 years).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Dual tuner Dish Network receivers and dome antennas simply don't play well together. They may work this week and not the next, depending on what firmware Dish pushes to the receiver. However, using it will be frustrating way more often than not.

Biggest issue is the dual tuners expect to be able to use any of the 3 satellites, at any time, and of course the dome can only use one satellite at a time. So the receiver gets confused when it can't see the signal it expects, and from there on the results are unpredictable.

Theoretically, Dish only supports the 211 and (in theory the 411) in the mobile environment (dome antennas). The 211 is the "recommended" Dish Receiver for RV (dome) use.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote