Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

HD signal on all TVs

I recently purchased a 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 which had a number of HD capable TVs which was great but only one had an HD signal. To address one other annoyance, I installed a dedicated TV for the hallway so the top bunk one did not have to be moved from the bunk to the hall and back. So, all set, it seems, with 6 TVs, but only one TV in the setup had an HDMI run and all of the other TVs used standard 4:3 signals over the cable switch which was less than optimal. Additionally, there was a single DVD player included (not including the ones built in the bunk TVs and the new hallway TV) for the rest of the TVs (Jensen 12V LED models) to use. My goal was to get an HD signal to ALL of the main TVs (main, bedroom, hallway and external).

When I picked up the coach, I had an Winegard in-motion satellite installed with two receivers. I also picked up two Bluray players wtih video outputs (to work with the cable switch). Now that I had those four devices, how would I get a choice of signal to any of the four TVs? I then picked up a 4x4 HDMI Matrix switch which worked great to the one HDMI cable I had. I reviewed some cabling options (run HDMI, HDMI over coax, WIDI) on the remaining three TVs and settled on the wireless HDMI switches. The nice thing was the reciever modules were USB powered so no power had to be run to the TV. Just a USB and an HDMI cable.

Here is a run down of how it all works. I can send one of the satellites and one of the blur-rays to the cable selector for two main sources to any of the TVs when using channel 3 or 4. With the HDMI switch, I can send any of the 4 HD sources to any of the 4 main TVs concurrently or uniquely in native HD mode. So, mix and match and a nice clean HD signal.

So, what did it cost? Probably too much, but, the signals are nice :-)

HDMI Matrix - $400
Wireless HDMI - $200 each
Winegard and two DISH receivers - $2000
Two Blurays - $50 each (eBay - had to find older ones with video out)
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Nice to see you can get away from it all in your new coach!
Seriously...what a monster design job...nice work and creative too!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Your setup looks like a remote control nightmare -- I count 5 remotes (1 for each receiver, 1 for each DVD player, and I guessing 1 remote for the HDMI matrix switch).

Plus, if these remotes are only IR and not RF, then you could have another problem.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Nice to see you can get away from it all in your new coach!
Seriously...what a monster design job...nice work and creative too!
I like to tinker with technology :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Your setup looks like a remote control nightmare -- I count 5 remotes (1 for each receiver, 1 for each DVD player, and I guessing 1 remote for the HDMI matrix switch).

Plus, if these remotes are only IR and not RF, then you could have another problem.
Two remotes, one Harmony for the back of the bus, one for the front (and outside). The HDMI matrix is manually selected - you set it to a default posture, for the most part. Each of the DISH receivers is unique and so are the Bluray players. When I got the coach, there was one for the sound bar, one for each TV (5) and one for the DVD. To simplify things, Thor used different brands when close together (the bunks are three different brands). Remotes everywhere. Now I just have the two remotes programmed to do things by job (bedroom TV, Hallway TV, etc). Most of the time, since things do not change too much, you set it and just have to turn on the TV and select a channel on the DISH.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2009 WIN Journey and have 3 hdmi tv with nothing hooked up to the hdmi's only connections are a coax and composite run through coach. The outside tv gets crappy satellite, I think the composite line is compromised. I would love to set the sat and a blu-ray up wireless hdmi, what 4x4 matrix and wireless set up did you get brand and model and where was the best you found?
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

We have one TV and if no signal on antenna no watch.
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellhomz View Post
I have a 2009 WIN Journey and have 3 hdmi tv with nothing hooked up to the hdmi's only connections are a coax and composite run through coach. The outside tv gets crappy satellite, I think the composite line is compromised. I would love to set the sat and a blu-ray up wireless hdmi, what 4x4 matrix and wireless set up did you get brand and model and where was the best you found?
Here are the items I purchased:

Wireless HDMI - IOGear

Amazon.com: IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT Wireless 3D Digital Kit with Full HD 1080P and 5.1 Channel Digital Audio: Computers & Accessories

4x4 HDMI Matrix

Amazon.com : Monoprice 4X4 True Matrix HDMI Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0) : Audio & Video Selector Boxes : Electronics
Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Community Moderator

thanks for the info. i was looking ways to have my bedroom run on hdmi, now you gave me the solution. kudos
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
thanks for the info. i was looking ways to have my bedroom run on hdmi, now you gave me the solution. kudos
Yes thanks from me also I have ordered what I need to upgrade my bedroom and outside tv to hdmi. Also a note I have been buying all my hdmi and stereo video cables from momoprice directly for years. Hdmi csbles from them are great and 1/3 the price in s store and usually less tbsn amazon.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice write up and diagram. I may "download" the diagram and modify it for my "spligtters" etc. Hope yo don't mind.

Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Nice write up and diagram. I may "download" the diagram and modify it for my "spligtters" etc. Hope yo don't mind. Thanks.
I used Visio. If you want it in that format, IM me and I can send it. Feel free to use as you wish.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellhomz View Post
Yes thanks from me also I have ordered what I need to upgrade my bedroom and outside tv to hdmi. Also a note I have been buying all my hdmi and stereo video cables from momoprice directly for years. Hdmi csbles from them are great and 1/3 the price in s store and usually less tbsn amazon.
Good to know momoprice. On their website it does show good prices... Thanks.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok I just got finished, I bought exactly what you did and a lg bh6720s blu ray home theater since it had straight wires to connect the 5.1 suround speaker I already had in my coach, instead of the new plugs that the salesman said were properitary and may not work with my already installed speakers. Hooked up the main tv first since its directly below the system cabinet. Then the wireless hdmi to the bedroom. With all that working I was done for yesterday. Then today after Installing the wireless on the outside I tried evetything and the main tv would not receive any hdmi signal. I had used very high grade and speed hdmi cable and after trouble shooting each component and system I determined it was the cable so I re ran that length with standard hdmi cable and everything now works. It tskes a little while to understand the wireless system since it has two input channels and a hdmi pass through that I don't need to use. But now I think I'll buy another wireless to put an outside hdmi tv at my pool bar at my home.

Thanks for your info and diagram heavyH2O, it made it very easy to adapt to my coach needs.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #14

There is always a bit of massaging to get things to work. I am glad to hear it is working for you. One thing to keep in mind with an HDMI matrix switch is the fact that it tries to detect the resolution capability of the receiving device. So, when you send a signal, the lowest common denominator will take place. So, a 1080P and a 720P TV on the same source will default BOTH to the 720P.

I use the wireless HDMI in my home, as well, for an outside TV by the pool and hot tub. Works surprisingly well considering the distance.