Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Help HDMI to Coax to TV ??

Hi I've got an old MH newer tv is midship wit a coax cable running overhead to cabinet overhead in passenger area. If I put the Dish Playmaker receiver here do they make an appt from the output on the receiver (HDMI) to the old coax (that's probably not RG6 anyway) or bag the whole thing and put the receiver where the DVD cabinet is about 3ft away from TV and run the antenna cable thru the window like I see so many doing (or eventually run it thru a storage cabinet up to the receiver).
Thanks for any suggestions from you experts (I really don't know much about this stuff!)
lincolnmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmath View Post
If I put the Dish Playmaker receiver here do they make an appt from the output on the receiver (HDMI) to the old coax (that's probably not RG6 anyway) or bag the whole thing and put the receiver where the DVD cabinet is about 3ft away from TV . . .
I assume you have the Wally receiver with your Playmaker. You really want to connect your TV to the HDMI out on the Wally.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #3

Radioshack had an HDMI to coax converter on line which my friend used for a similar application; however it will only send a standard definition picture to the TV and you won't have any of the other HDMI signal benefits (automatic screen sizing etc.)
I would use an Wireless HDMI extender instead ( available at Best Buy or online). These work great in RVs and have the added benefit of full High Def picture (assuming that's what you satellite receiver is sending) as well as remote control (IR repeater) of the receiver from the remote tv.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Well thank you! I haven't bought the playmaker yet, but I will be checking out the wireless hdmi extender route sounds like this is the route to go
lincolnmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #5

know that wireless HDMI systems are prone to issues and quality problems.
A better solution is to run a quality HDMI cable from source to TV. Takes effort to run the length of an RV, but a one time investment.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

You may want to look at the Thor Broadcast H-HDMI-RF-PETIT, a little pricey, but excellent results. It will re-broadcast HDMI to any over the air or cable high definition channel. I think old RG59 cable will work fine. That's what I'm using and can't tell the difference between HDMI or the modulator.

At first it looks a little intimidating, but their customer service is great.
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Help HDMI to Coax to TV ??

Simple solution , these became available awhile ago and do 1080p

For about 100.00 you can get a hdmi to coax transmitter with a coax to hdmi receiver. These a two small powered boxes that will send 1080 over coax
Google hdmi to coax there are several but all pretty much the same thing
Here is an example
https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Tran...to+coac&sr=8-4