Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Help, I'm terrified!

So, it's not mine. The bank is nice enough to let me drive it around a play like it's mine.

I've recently retired.

I'm going to be spending more time in it and I feel a need to punch some holes in it...first one will be for an external antenna (WiFiRanger).

What's the best way to do that? Primarily interested in identifying ideal location, insuring that there are no hidden obstacles, best way to seal the hole after I've passed the wire through, best way to secure wire from the hole in the roof/wall to the antenna attachment, etc.

Thanks, in advance, for the benefit of your experiences.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

So, what is it?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
So, what is it?
Well, it's a Monaco Diplomat 41SKQ.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I guess I presumed that it didn't really matter exactly what it was...just that I wanted to poke a hole through it.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #4

OK, When I installed my washer/dryer I had to cut a 4 inch diameter hole for the dryer vent I was apprehensive too. What I did was first drill a small hole inside where I thought I wanted it. I then used a stiff piece of steel, a clothes hanger cut and striahgtened will work, to poke through the hold and probe the wall. Once I was satisfied there was nothing in the wall I went ahead and cut the hole. It really is just like you would do in your home.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually the upper reaches of the front cap and rear cap are void of wires, pipes etc---and depending on difficulty you can remove or move something to actually look. Generally a safe place to punch a hole. Also not a bad place to anchor an antennea. Take a look at how other fixtures are attached---say your mirrrors. Mine are just held inplace by lag screws (4) it turns out and the screws are covered with a cap for appearances. So in a side wall you can use screws to attach a mount for the antennea I would think. If a mirror hold then a small antennea would? I mounted my exterior temperature guage that way just drilled holes used screws and caulk. It is not heavy but the antenna on the WIFI Ranger does not look heavy.

Drill as small a hole as possible and again---perhaps look at how the manufacturer sealed the hole for the air and electrical lines to your horn (s) and take a hint from that.

There are pass through grommets you might want to use for wires to go through walls----but basically if you drill the smallest hole possible the caulk it you are probably doing the same as a manufacturer. Check other fittings and see.

Usually it is not good to use silicone caulk, too hard to get off if you want to remove the wire in the future. Dicor makes some good alternatives.

Basically drill and fill will do the job on a small hole-----a grommet might finish it out nicely.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have more "I" fortitude than I do.

I would just take it to someone and have it installed. That way I have someone else to blame if it is not done right.

"But dear, I didn't do it, they did!"
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Forget the wi-fi antenna, get yourself an air card from Verizon or Sprint. Will work thousands of more places, is secure, and you don't have to poke any holes or run wiring.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One option may let you put your drill away. There are several compartments in many motor homes which are "Not for storage" thy my have covers bolted or simply latched in place, these include the compartment with the water heater, and the water pump.

Some of these have nice BIG holes which the plumbing passes throug and there is no seal at all, you can slip a wire down through the same hole without so mcuh as a tool, save perhaps a coat hanger somewhat mangled or.. better yet, the RVer's friend, the awning hook, to snag the wire and pull it out where you can grab on.

I've run a few that way. Then out via the door gasket when parked. and you don'[t need wi-fi when driving.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #9

I'd vote for the air card, too. Much simpler and they work quite well.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
I'd vote for the air card, too. Much simpler and they work quite well.
And for better reception when needed use an USB extension to place your air card remotely..
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, all for the ideas.

I'm still in the planning stages for the install. I'll be out in the motorhome for 5 days next week at Lunga Lake (MCB Quantico) and I'll have time to look, carefully, before I start the project.

I did get a Verizon MiFi that I'll use for the 3G/4G internet connectivity when not in a campground with reliable free WiFi. Also, the MiFi will provide connectivity for various devices while we're out on the road.

Don, thanks for the pilot hole idea. I'm sure I'll use that!

njs42, my first though was to install the antenna to the top of the rear ladder, above the rear cap. I also have a Flag Buddy attached to the ladder for my flag; I need to install some form of night illumination so I can leave the flag up at night. I'm thinking that I could pass the power supply for that light through the same path as the antenna.

Wayne M, I doubt it's more "I"; it's probable less "S" (I am so smrt, right?).

Rex, GreaTOne65 and KIX, I've settled on the MiFi. The folks at 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, Antennas, Amplifiers, WiFi, Verizon & Sprint Data Cards assure me that there will be a combination external antenna/amplifier available for my MiFi soon. Once I settle on the best way to pass wires through the wall/roof, I'll probably install an external antenna for the MiFi, too.

wa8yxm, that's a GREAT idea. My water heater is back by the endcap and accessible in the bedroom closet. I may be able to make the entire run WITHOUT any new holes. I'll look more closely next week.

You guys are GREAT!!! Such a wealth of experience for me to learn from.

Now that I'm retired, I'm looking to being out and about LOTS more. I'll be happy to meet some of you fine gentlemen someday and provide a libation, or two.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A friend of mine had a device he made with a light that he slipped into his hitch receiver; it pointed up toward his flag-----no holes. I think he just plugged it into the 30amp plug at the RV location. JUst a thought.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
slipped into his hitch receiver; it pointed up toward his flag-----no holes.
Thanks! I already have my towbar installed in the receiver hitch. However, the plug for the toad could provide 12v. power and there are places to do the light mount while parked. I'll think about that.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One comment on Air-Cards and USB devices: USB cords have a limit, I think it's 30 feet (10 yards) or there about, Longer than that and the device needs to have special hardwre in the line or it won't work properly, and sometimes even shorter cables can mess you up.

If you can find one (I could not) the Linksys WGA-54G or it's equal is an interesting product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16873999102

That is so you can see it: This is a "Wi-Fi" modem. it was designed to be used with the older play stations and such that did not have Wi-Fi built in. But DID have a CAT-5 cable, Now with Cat 5 instead of 10 yards, you can run the cable as much as 100 yards.

What's more the "Sticks up in the air" antenna, there is a Wi-Fi booster that is nothing more than a piece of foil covered card stock, you download the PDF file, print it, cut it out, paste aluminum foil over one piece assemble it, drop it over the antenna and "point" it toward the router, about double the range.

With this adapter I feed a re-router (any make) in the motor home and from it two DVR's and currently 2 computers. And one at a neighbor's site

I can put the adapter on the roof, in front of the RV, in back of the RV, I can even run it up a flag pole, Here I have a 100' limit (That is how much cable I carry) but as I said you can go farther.. Some sites I need nearly all that hundred feet I might add.

The problem is finding something like it.. But I can tell you it works great.

Oh, And initial set up can be.... interesting.. but once you learn it's quirks tis very easy With the specific adapter I linked to the web interface is easier than the setup program but that takes some doing too.. Ask if you find one and I'll walk you through it.