Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Help! New Winegard MP1 and VIP211Z Setup

I know this should be easy which is what makes it frustrating. I've called Dish and just get the run around so am making a plea for help here.

I purchased the "kit" from Camping World that includes the Winegard MP1 antenna and Dish Network VIP211Z receiver. When I talked to Dish, they told me to setup the system, turn it on, and it would update some software and tell me to call them to activate. Instead, it reports "installing switch" for a few minutes, then "acquiring" for many minutes, and finally reports that it was unable to acquire a satellite signal.

I have the MP1 dish aimed at 119 (and have also tried 110). I've used the information provided in the documentation as well as two different apps to point the antenna. I have an in-line signal strength meter that indicates the signal is there. I've tried different coax cable. I've tried removing the meter (after aiming). I've tried the antenna in different physical locations (no obstructions). I am not running the signal thru my RV yet in an effort to keep it simple. It is simply the receiver and a short piece of coax to the antenna.

I know there are a bunch of variables but anyone care to take a stab at what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

If you don't have a good satellite signal then eventually (after the 'acquiring' message has been up for a while) you will get a popup indicating no signal and a number to call Customer Service. At that point press the '*' button on the remote and you will see a signal strength screen where you can select various satellite/transponders and see an actual signal level. Make sure you can see each satellite with the signal level in the green. If you cannot I can't say what might be wrong but at least with the signal strength screen up it will be easier to tinker & diagnose. Note that you should wait a minute after you change anything because the signal strength meter can be a little laggy.

When I first tried to set up my ViP211z in my driveway where I can see only 110 (because of trees) and the setup failed in the manner you described (so apparently you must be able to see more than 110.) I eventually had to move to where I could get a clear view of 110, 119, and 129 and then the setup process worked on the first try. I'm not sure if adding 119 and 129 to the mix did it (I have a Trav'ler antenna so can see all three at once) but I know that 110 alone didn't. Since with the MP1 you set up on one satellite at a time I don't know if it must be a specific one or not. Perhaps someone with more specific knowledge can comment, I'd like to know too.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If you don't have a good satellite signal then eventually (after the 'acquiring' message has been up for a while) you will get a popup indicating no signal and a number to call Customer Service. At that point press the '*' button on the remote and you will see a signal strength screen where you can select various satellite/transponders and see an actual signal level. Make sure you can see each satellite with the signal level in the green. If you cannot I can't say what might be wrong but at least with the signal strength screen up it will be easier to tinker & diagnose. Note that you should wait a minute after you change anything because the signal strength meter can be a little laggy.

When I first tried to set up my ViP211z in my driveway where I can see only 110 (because of trees) and the setup failed in the manner you described (so apparently you must be able to see more than 110.) I eventually had to move to where I could get a clear view of 110, 119, and 129 and then the setup process worked on the first try. I'm not sure if adding 119 and 129 to the mix did it (I have a Trav'ler antenna so can see all three at once) but I know that 110 alone didn't. Since with the MP1 you set up on one satellite at a time I don't know if it must be a specific one or not. Perhaps someone with more specific knowledge can comment, I'd like to know too.
Excellent information!!! Thank you very much! I don't have it working yet but the asterisk button trick on the remote has given me a bunch of information to work with - I am making progress now!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
One tidbit of information. Your satellite meter will tell you that you are indeed pointed at a satellite, but not WHICH ONE. (If you had a meter that did tell you, you wouldn't be here asking questions). Using a compass , you may or may not actually be lined up on the satellite you need.

smiller is correct in that you need to verify signal on the receiver signal strength screen to ensure you are locked on the correct bird.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
One tidbit of information. Your satellite meter will tell you that you are indeed pointed at a satellite, but not WHICH ONE. (If you had a meter that did tell you, you wouldn't be here asking questions). Using a compass , you may or may not actually be lined up on the satellite you need.

smiller is correct in that you need to verify signal on the receiver signal strength screen to ensure you are locked on the correct bird.
Reading this to myself again, leads me to think my post could be interpreted in a fashion to upset or insult someone. Believe me that is not my intention. I was trying to make the point that those satellite meters are so expensive, that few people justify their expense.

You really do need to get the 211z on the signal strength screen to finish the task.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Reading this to myself again, leads me to think my post could be interpreted in a fashion to upset or insult someone. Believe me that is not my intention. I was trying to make the point that those satellite meters are so expensive, that few people justify their expense.

You really do need to get the 211z on the signal strength screen to finish the task.
No worries Don, I understood. I sure appreciate the input.

I am still having no luck though the suggestions you guys have provided have been very helpful. Something seems flaky to me. I can get (with a lot of effort) pointed at a satellite and it showing on the VIP211z strength meter (on the TV) but if I reset the receiver (changing nothing else), the receiver will not show the satellite again (until I do a bunch of tweaking, re-pointing, changing transponders, multiple resets, etc...). My first thought was that the coax was bad but I've tried three different cables and no change.

Is it ok to leave the little inline signal strength meter in place (while doing all this testing) or should it be removed after pointing at a satellite?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I am still having no luck...
I should add... I am at Rockhound State Park just south of Deming, NM this week. If any of you experts are in the area, you would be most welcome at site #15!!

Actually, non-experts are welcome as well.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:

No worries Don, I understood. I sure appreciate the input.

I am still having no luck though the suggestions you guys have provided have been very helpful. Something seems flaky to me. I can get (with a lot of effort) pointed at a satellite and it showing on the VIP211z strength meter (on the TV) but if I reset the receiver (changing nothing else), the receiver will not show the satellite again (until I do a bunch of tweaking, re-pointing, changing transponders, multiple resets, etc...). My first thought was that the coax was bad but I've tried three different cables and no change.

Is it ok to leave the little inline signal strength meter in place (while doing all this testing) or should it be removed after pointing at a satellite?
I've posted this suggestion before as I too had experienced this issue with my tailgater sometime ago. Long story short, the mp1 and 211 combo may not be powerful enough to successfully download the needed software. My solution was to take the 211 back to CW to run the software at the store. With the software loaded it worked like a charm.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
I can get (with a lot of effort) pointed at a satellite and it showing on the VIP211z strength meter (on the TV) but if I reset the receiver (changing nothing else), the receiver will not show the satellite again (until I do a bunch of tweaking, re-pointing, changing transponders, multiple resets, etc...)
What signal level are you seeing on the 211? Is it in the green and above 50? The initial software download does seem to be quite sensitive and require a healthy signal. I believe this only has to happen during initial setup however (or maybe very infrequently after that if there is a major software change) so as indicated in the post above once you have completed the initialization process it shouldn't be so difficult to get things set up in the future.

This is probably one reason why Winegard sells so many Trav'ler antennas.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
What signal level are you seeing on the 211? Is it in the green and above 50? The initial software download does seem to be quite sensitive and require a healthy signal. I believe this only has to happen during initial setup however (or maybe very infrequently after that if there is a major software change) so as indicated in the post above once you have completed the initialization process it shouldn't be so difficult to get things set up in the future.
I didn't have the motivation to try the blasted thing again today. If memory serves (it generally doesn't), I thought I saw signal strength as great as 50 once or twice but mostly in the 30's and 40's.

Possibly having to take it back to Camping World is a major disappointment - I am no where near one at the current time and do not plan to be anytime soon. I thought about walking around the campground looking for someone with a "Dish Network" antenna sitting out. "Hi, can I connect my receiver to your antenna for a few minutes please??"
Old 12-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:

I didn't have the motivation to try the blasted thing again today. If memory serves (it generally doesn't), I thought I saw signal strength as great as 50 once or twice but mostly in the 30's and 40's.

Possibly having to take it back to Camping World is a major disappointment - I am no where near one at the current time and do not plan to be anytime soon. I thought about walking around the campground looking for someone with a "Dish Network" antenna sitting out. "Hi, can I connect my receiver to your antenna for a few minutes please??"
That my friend is a great idea. I'm sure folks at the rv park would be more than happy to help. I'm pretty sure that if you can find someone with a 3 horn antenna to get the download you'll be fine.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
That isn't so great. I don't know if it will necessarily cause your problem and I'm not familiar with what one can expect out of the MP1, but I'd try for more signal. I typically see 70+.

One more thing to check, make sure you are on the satellite you think you are. On the signal strength screen there will be a 'wrong satellite' note at the bottom of the screen if you are receiving a valid signal but it doesn't match the satellite you selected on the pointing data display. It's possible to miss this message so just pointing it out.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Success!!

Success!! It is now working, activated, and I am watching the space station cooling unit replacement on my TV!

Thank you very much to all that helped with suggestions and advice!

I'm not exactly sure what finally worked. I eventually got a signal strength of 50 on 119. I repeated the "Check Switch" test a couple of times. For some reason, it finally "took". I suspect a lot of it had to do with details and familiarity - sometimes ya gotta read the stinking manual and attempt the process a couple dozen times before the details begin to stand out and make sense.

Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #14

Congratulations! Nothing cooler than watching live work on the space station from your mobile satellite receiver