Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am looking for some idea for being able to switch between Internet Sources. I currently have available Hughes Net, Verizon USB Modem and RV park WiFi. There is a both a wired and wireless network in my coach for connecting two computers, a printer and a networked external disk drive. My current set up uses the Hughes Net for Internet I have it connected to my network with a D-Link wireless router which also provides network addresses to the computers and external disk drive.

I would like to easily switch between sources without having to reconfigure the computers. I think I saw someplace someone had done this by using a Cradlepoint router and a wireless bridge.

Any ideas and suggestions are appriciated
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am looking for some idea for being able to switch between Internet Sources. I currently have available Hughes Net, Verizon USB Modem and RV park WiFi. There is a both a wired and wireless network in my coach for connecting two computers, a printer and a networked external disk drive. My current set up uses the Hughes Net for Internet I have it connected to my network with a D-Link wireless router which also provides network addresses to the computers and external disk drive.

I would like to easily switch between sources without having to reconfigure the computers. I think I saw someplace someone had done this by using a Cradlepoint router and a wireless bridge.

Any ideas and suggestions are appriciated
Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave,
Why do you want to do this? The question is not just to satifify my curiosity, but that the answer depends on what you are going to do with the network.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Gsry,
We are fulltimers and were traveling a lot so we had Hugh Net to ensure always having a Internet connection (Mexico, Canada and Alaska). I maintain some web sites for folks so need a constant connection. For the next few months we are staying in a park that has good WiFi and in our current location my Blackberry 8330 on Verizon has better speeds than my Hughes Net. I don't want to switch completly off Hughes Net because we will take off from time to time to places (later this month to Quartsite) that don't have Verizon coverage or WiFi.

Not sure if you were talking about the internal network in the coach but on that one my wife and I share files, do backups to the external drive and use a single printer.

Hope this info will let you some answers.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to AlexSian
the cradlepoint MBR1000 router will easily handle verizon USB, and has ethernet WAN input port for either hughes or wifi range extender. you'd still need to manually switch ethernet cables when moving between satellite and wifi as source.

i've been working to convince cradlepoint on a feature request that would allow it to accept USB wifi adapter to receive wifi from campground... this way the one router will more easily switch between three different sources of internet connectivity.

so far, there has been no progress on the feature request. (sigh)
Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave,
EVDOalex is on the same path I would follow. The choke point is the router that controls the entry/exit of data to/from your coach. I may not be completely up to date on this, but for me the simplest thing would be to make the gate for which service you use at the incoming router. At this time, I think this will be at a minimum one unplug and plug of the connection you want live into that router. The network in the coach would remain the same. The only thing visible to the service of choice is your router. One router for WIFI and one router for Hughs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote