Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help with finding WiFi antenna & Adapter

Greetings –

We are wintering in an RV Resort that has WiFi in its Clubhouse, but because of the distance the signal is too weak at our site. (I can see it, but it’s too weak to connect). We are about 75 yards from the Clubhouse, with a few trees and other rvs along the path. My next-door neighbor has some sort of outside flat-plate antenna connected to a separate LAN Adapter on a long thin (white coax, with USB on the other end) and he gets the signal just fine, but unfortunately he doesn’t remember the model numbers for the components so I can’t duplicate it exactly.

I’ve looked at different flat-plate antennas and parabolic antennas and the like on the Web, and they all say they are the perfect choice (naturally!), nor can I find anything about my neighbor’s Adapter (other than it uses RealTek RTL8187 drivers) – there are a lot but not many with the thin cable on one end and USB on the other.

I’m looking for an inexpensive solution (if there is such a thing) to do what he’s done, and any help is appreciated with an antenna and Adapter. Since we are in a remote area, I don’t have access to electronics stores where I can peruse/try the options and check them out in detail first, making it tough to get it right the first time. I’ve done some searches here, but most Internet questions seem to revolve around aircards.

By the way, is it also possible to distribute that signal to my wife’s and my laptops wirelessly (with maybe a router/etc?) once I get it to my RV? Do I just connect a high-gain antenna (no card) to a router, and use that? Or would it just be better to go with 2 separate hardwired antenna & adapter setups?

Thanks in advance!
Rusty
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #2

you can get an alpha wifi adapter that uses that same software, just google alpha . i know there are some on ebay for around 30.00, and they work great
Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I use:
1: instead of a USB Wi-Fi adapter (Which I"m using now since I'm in the "Internet room" here at the park) I use a LInksys WGA-54G Wireless game adapter.. This device has a LAN type jack on it (RJ-11) and plugs into the LAN port on a comptuer or the WAN port on a router (Internet port) This will become important when we get to page 2 (question 2)

Next RV Road Trip Library - Do-It-Yourself Wi-Fi Signal Booster
I built this and drop it over the WGA's antenna. Point it in the proper direction.. I have done some "Testing" and it is amazing how well it works,, Mine is larger than the one shown here (I blew up the printout)

Then I bring the line in (Cat-5 cable) to the motor home and plug it into my router (usually) from there it is distributed to other devices in the motor home (4 different comptuers, via cat-5 normally or via Wi-Fi if I wish)

Advantages: Due to the fact that it is a "LAN" not a USB device the fairly short limit on USB cables is of no concern, I can easily have 100 feet or more between the WGA and my router.. This means I can put it up on the roof (Height is might in the UHF RF battles) or outside the MH (So it's less walls to plough through) or otherwise get it closer to the Router.

Page 2: Can you then distribute wirelessly to your and wife's computer inside the rig...

YES. I can.. I just turn on the WI-FI radio portion of my own router.. Make sure I'm not on the same channel as the park (or even close) and the job is done. Normally I use wire.. but that's because the Wi-Fi in this laptop is .. Bad. (I would rather use cable in the motor home than a wi-fi dongle)

NOTE: If I had a better WGA (The antenna on the Linksys WGA-54G I have is "Attached" not a screw on/screw off) I could use even better antennas I have about.. one of these days I will modify the WGA (I have skills and parts needed) to the antenna is detachable.

One such antenna is the CanTenna.

Also, I could, in theory, mount the WGA at the focal point of a satellite dish and shoot that toward the router (more gain = more distance)

There have been Wi-Fi connections established of a mile or more using standard router power but very special antennas.. Just so you know.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am hoping that Santa gives me a Cantenna. Don't know if it is any good. Heard good and bad about it.

WiFi Antenna|Super Cantenna Wifi Booster Antennas
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
just get a ranger wifi router for $149 + tax. problem solved. google it up. i get mine on monday. can't wait to see how it does.

Outlaw
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like wa8yxm's nifty solution. Mine is not as complete but it easily fits in my laptop case so if I need it it is there. I bought a "Wi-Fire" at C Crane http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/wifi-...etter-ii.aspxe

On Maui a few weeks ago the hotel charged $17 for WiFi. With the Wi-Fire mounted on my laptop screen I was able to get a WiFi connection from another hotel's WiFi transmitter I guess. (I was not able to detect, let alone connect to any unlocked WiFi without the WiFire.)

I did put a small tab of velcro on my laptop to keep the Wi-Fire from sliding around on my laptop screen.

Using it a few days in Hawaii I recouped the $49 initial cost.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas so far. Greatly appreciated.

I've tried the cantenna-approach, both with a homemade version and with store-bought kind. Results were much less than I'd expected or anticipated. Hopefully, yours may work better.

I kinda like wa8xym's approach too.

My neighbor gave me permission to play with his setup. I found that I had just about as good of a signal with the amplifier connected to a rubber-ducky antenna as I had when it was connected to his flat-plate antenna (all I could find was that the antenna was an older D-Link). Tells me the key in this situation may be the electronics itself rather than the antenna-type.

Any more suggestions??
Tnx
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Thanks for the ideas so far. Greatly appreciated.

Any more suggestions?? Tnx
Rusty,

I've been researching this very same issue. Where I travel, I have been struggling with good strong free WI-FI signals that are consistent. I always seem to get the RV site the furthest from their antennas.

One system I have come across recently that really appeals to me is the JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs, it is a family owned business.

The main reason I like it is more than one device can connect to it and that it has multiple internal security protection.

Check it out and see for yourself. I plan to call them on Monday to discuss the system and get answers to all of my concerns. If it sounds right for me, I plan to order one while on the phone.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should point out I did not design that reflector.. I downloaded it from the site that posted it... When I was out in Davison MI I did some testing.. Basically without moving the WGA-54G I rotated the antenna so as to "Quarter" the compass (n/S/E/W) I saw some significant differences in signal strength.. Routers (There are usually several in the park) would go from as much as 75% signal to undetectable as I turned the antenna away from them.

So I know it works.. Did not expect it to be that good but it sure was.

Your millage may vary depending on how big you make your reflector.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have the motorola DroidX with teathering. works great with upto 5 wireless devices. its a cell phone, MP3, Gps turn my turn, bar code scanner, back up computer, wireless secure hot spot teathering 3g speeds, 4g in some citiies soon. we dumped our land line (80$) dumped our ISP (40$), dumped Altell (100$), got it all in one wireless package for 140$. All u need is a cell signal..so far so good. If I need to I can add a exterior cell antena
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
One system I have come across recently that really appeals to me is the JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs, it is a family owned business.
I've been running their system for over a year now and find it works well. At a campground we go to frequently we park about 300-400 yards away from the wi-fi source, which is a typical household wi-fi box located in a building. Between our rig and the wi-fi source are several trees and a couple of buildings. In the wintertime we get a usable signal in our rig, but once the trees fill out in the spring we lose the signal and have to move closer. In other campgrounds we can receive wi-fi signals whenever they're available.

I set it up so that if the campground supplies the signal for free then I leave the repeater unsecured so others around me can use the signal as well. If I have to pay for the signal, then I secure it. With the hi gain antenna mounted on my rooftop TV antenna I can have a good wi-fi signal anywhere inside my RV, and outside for quite a distance.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
Look at either of these links for additional info.
First What is DD-WRT? - DD-WRT Wiki
second on ebay DD-WRT items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Linksys items on eBay.com!
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I've been running their system for over a year now and find it works well. At a campground we go to frequently we park about 300-400 yards away from the wi-fi source, which is a typical household wi-fi box located in a building. Between our rig and the wi-fi source are several trees and a couple of buildings. In the wintertime we get a usable signal in our rig, but once the trees fill out in the spring we lose the signal and have to move closer. In other campgrounds we can receive wi-fi signals whenever they're available.

I set it up so that if the campground supplies the signal for free then I leave the repeater unsecured so others around me can use the signal as well. If I have to pay for the signal, then I secure it. With the hi gain antenna mounted on my rooftop TV antenna I can have a good wi-fi signal anywhere inside my RV, and outside for quite a distance.

I see that you are using the JEFA Repeater Kit, and it sounds that you are vary happy with it. In their instruction info - System Information Page - they show that the TXPower is set at 200mW. Would you check your units Status Page to see if it is actually set at 200mW? I have converted my Linksys to DD-wrt, works great, but have read not to run over 70mW TX Power????

thanks

Roger L. Woebbecke
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Additional info:
I have a Heat Sink and cooling fan installed. Also use the 8.5dBi and 15dBi external antennas. My curiosity is with anyone using the Linksys Router with DD-WRT loaded and running as a Repeater, or using the JEFA Repeater, or the Illumi-Nations Repeater. My curiosity is what the TX Power is set at on any of these is use.