Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #1

help with Tracvision antenna and Pinnacle positioner

Purchased a 1999 Damon motorhome with a Tracvision SF antenna s/n 02090057 and Pinnacle positioner by Winegard model RD9900. The dealer told me the system was not complete as the prior owner had kept the receiver. I did not think this would be a problem as I had the DTV receiver from my prior motorhome. A hughes silver edition model HiRD-E1 #E1294600607B.
I attached the receiver but the antenna will not search for the satellite. My assumption is my receiver is not compatible with the antenna and positioner. If this is the case, what DTV receiver do I need?
A friend has a Tracvision antenna and his system does not use a large positioner box like mine but simply a small wall plate with on/off and search. Would it be feasible to buy a wall plate like his and eliminate my pinnacle position?
I am currently using a tripod mounted antenna that works fine but the roof mounted automatic antenna would be very nice.
Any suggestions certainly appreciated.
george85643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
The Pinnacle positioner has a control box that should be inside one of your cabinets that is connected to the antenna. If that is what the previous owner kept, you are out of luck unless you can find one somewhere. It has been out of production for at least 8 years. If you have the control box, then you have a connection problem between your satellite receiver and the Pinnacle box, or the Pinnacle box has failed. Winegard may still offer the manual which at one time could be downloaded from their site. It has instructions on how to use the Pinnacle and how to program it for different satellite locations.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #3

There is no relation between a Winegard Pinnacle controller and a TracVision antenna. Do you have 2 systems? The Pinnacle (a long defunct system) from Winegard is tied to an open face single LNB antenna and the TracVision antenna is under a dome. If (big if) the Pinnacle still works, you can set it using the buttons on the front and the on-screen display. It will likely work with most any receiver but you have to ensure that you have the cable from the receiver connected to the Pinnacle and the other Pinnacle coax connected to the right antenna on the roof. The same is true of the TracVision except that the TracVision may not work with your particular receiver but you can check with TracVision to verify what you have and what you need.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #4

Unhappy

Bill & Rex, thanks for your responses. I have a tracvision antenna under a dome that is connected to a pinnacle positioner box in a cabinet. The Pinnacle box connects to the DTV receiver with a coax cable. I downloaded the Pinnacle instructions from the Winegard web site. When attempting to search for the satillite the antenna does not move. The Pinnacle instructions have a long trouble shooting section and I may be forced to follow them rather than dreaming about a simple solution.
I had hoped that someone would respond that "yes you can buy the low cost wall plate ,eliminate the Pinnacle position and use this model DTV receiver to position the antenna"
Another option is to call Tracvisions trouble shooting service but they want $85 to open a case.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by george85643 View Post
Bill & Rex, thanks for your responses. I have a tracvision antenna under a dome that is connected to a pinnacle positioner box in a cabinet. The Pinnacle box connects to the DTV receiver with a coax cable. I downloaded the Pinnacle instructions from the Winegard web site. When attempting to search for the satillite the antenna does not move. The Pinnacle instructions have a long trouble shooting section and I may be forced to follow them rather than dreaming about a simple solution.
I had hoped that someone would respond that "yes you can buy the low cost wall plate ,eliminate the Pinnacle position and use this model DTV receiver to position the antenna"
Another option is to call Tracvisions trouble shooting service but they want $85 to open a case.
I cannot emphasis enough that there is NO RELATION of any kind between a KVH antenna and your Winegard Pinnacle. A Winegard controller can only work with a Winegard antenna (not all, just that really, really old Pinnacle antenna) and a KVH controller is the only thing that can make a KVH antenna work. There are no exceptions to this rule. If someone incorrectly wired the KVH into the Pinnacle you need to get the wiring straightened out and get the KVH connected to your receiver and the KVH on-off switch (a very small one or two toggle flush mounted device).
Do you currently (or was there previously) an open-face satellite TV antenna on your roof? If so, this is the Pinnacle. If not, you can throw away the Pinnacle controller and move forward with getting the KVH hooked up properly.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #6

Thanks Bill, I believe you that the components are not compatible. I am simply stating what is in the motorhome. The Pinnacle positioner is hard wired to the KVH antenna.
I think my next step is to, eliminate the Pinnacle and buy the KVH wallplate and wiring.