RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Hooking up tv cable

I installed a short piece of rubber hose over the coaxial cable nut to improves my grip. I used the clear tubing available at most hardware stores. The size I used was smaller than the nut, I used needle nose pliers to open the tubing enough to slide over the nut giving it a tight fit.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
They make a slide on connector https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Adapt...s%2C189&sr=8-3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41t6928iZ1L._AC_.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	309509  

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #3

I have 10 of the slide on connectors.

Used them for a while and then they started loosing up, causing my dish signal to act up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

I use Wing Dings Dings for several years now. Makes tightening the nuts much easier. Easy to install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WDBLU-100-/153875920001
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Dings.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	309543  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #5

"Wing Dings?" Never knew there was such a thing and now I absolutely have to have some. Thanks!
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
"Wing Dings?" Never knew there was such a thing and now I absolutely have to have some. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #7

Great idea - what do you do with the other/extra 90 left over. -

Thanks - for these old fingers this will make the hook-up so much easier.

- -

EDIT - Ended ordering these - 10 push on - thinking this is the easiest - and $$$$ was right - https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-F-t....c100005.m1851
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Great idea - what do you do with the other/extra 90 left over. -

Thanks - for these old fingers this will make the hook-up so much easier.

- -

EDIT - Ended ordering these - 10 push on - thinking this is the easiest - and $$$$ was right - https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-F-t....c100005.m1851
I tried the push on types, and they worked for a while. But for my external portable Winegard X2 Dish, they didn't seal the water/snow out, and I would lose the dish signal. So I went with a coaxial cable that had weatherproof ends and the WingDings!

BTW, I feel cheated. When I bought my WingDings a few years ago, I 'only' got 10 of them for $7.

.....Look what I just found. 5 of them for $2.25 shipping included!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Prep-....c100005.m1851
Old 11-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If you want to make it really easy, give these a try. I have them on the cable wire and the water hose. Wouldn't be without them.

https://rvcablegrip.com/
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #10

Lots of good ideas!
Old 11-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
30 plus years of experience in the cable TV industry here.
These push-on connectors seem like a wonderful idea, until you understand the technology behind modern digital cable TV.
Years ago with analog cable, push on connectors were occasionally problematic but the problems were minor. Lines, snow, sparkle etc you could live with.
With digital transmission the coaxial cable and every single connector must be well shielded against outside radio frequency interference. Any outside radio frequency leaking into the wire will cause pixelation, picture dropouts, audio dropouts etc. These are much more significant problems that are harder to live with.
Every single connector in the line of transmission should be snugged up with a wrench. The nut part should be tight enough that the back part of the fitting and the wire that connects into it should not be able to rotate or move, once the nut is tightened. Any loose connector is an avenue for ingress of radio frequency signals.
It would be a very bad idea to use several of those inside and/or outside of an RV that shakes rattles and rolls down the road. You are absolutely asking for serious reception problems on antenna or cable TV. And if there were more than one, you'd have a heck of a time figuring out where your problem was...
On the other hand those silicon attachments that help you screw the wire on look like a great idea as long as they are screwed on tight enough to prevent ingress and loosening up with vibration. But even with those, I would not recommend them except in places where you will often connect and disconnect. Especially if they hinder your access to the hex nut so you can't snug it up with a wrench.

Sorry for being long-winded but pixelation, dropouts, missing channels are a very frustrating experience and difficult to fix if you don't know why it's happening.

Tim
Tim-n-Gina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #12

I've no use for these except on my temporary line I use to connect my coach to various campgrounds' cable hookups. I'd expect them to be great at that. It never even occurred to me to use them on any of my more permanent connectors. Seems pretty obvious to me they aren't for that anyway.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the idea on the wingdings
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Darwin --

A business known as RV Cable Grip sells coaxial cables with their patented "grip" to make connecting / disconnecting a cable much easier (so the business says) --> https://rvcablegrip.com/ They also sell the "grip" to use on older cables.

For me, I almost never use cable TV service in an RV resort / park. I spoil myself (and the wife) with Dish Network satellite service (I have a Winegard Trav'ler disch on top of my motorhome) that provides the television service we use (sports programing for LSU football weekends and HGTV et al for wife). For local TV stations (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc.), the Winegard "bat wing" antenna has worked well at every RV resort/park we've stayed (granted because of careers and now Covid our adventures away from the Houston area have been in a 300 mile radius so over-the-air broadcast television has been readily available.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable