RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 12:08 AM   #1

Hopper 3

Is a single or triple wire required to connect a tripod mounted 1000.2 WA antenna to a Hopper 3

coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It depends, the latest using Hybrid Solo Node and the Hybrid Pro LNB requires a single coax between the dish and the node. There's a 2nd way with the Solo Node and the non-hybrid LNB that requires 2 coax.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newdish1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	275382  

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

Thank, it looks like I can go direct to the Hopper with a single wire as I only have one TV
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Is a single or triple wire required to connect a tripod mounted 1000.2 WA antenna to a Hopper 3
If you install a Hybrid WA LNBF (highly recommended), then you only need 1 wire:

Old 02-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
It really depends on the LNB which you have.
The latest LNB direct to the "3", an older LNB you need the switch
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
It really depends on the LNB which you have.
The latest LNB direct to the "3", an older LNB you need the switch
This isn't true. When you install any DISH Hybrid Pro LNB on a 1000.2 dish, then all you need is 1 coax.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:19 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Then all you need to do later is add the Wireless Joey for the Bedroom. Works Great.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #8

Hey guys, not to hijack your thread but this looked like a good place to ask about the hopper 3.

I just had it installed today in my home. I would like to take it and my joey in the RV.

I have a dish winegard on the roof that we bought probably 3 years ago. Its the kind that stands up and locates 3 satellites automatically.

Do you think this will work? And where do you get those parts above that power cat was talking about?

Thanks so much.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Hey guys, not to hijack your thread but this looked like a good place to ask about the hopper 3.

I just had it installed today in my home. I would like to take it and my joey in the RV.

I have a dish winegard on the roof that we bought probably 3 years ago. Its the kind that stands up and locates 3 satellites automatically.

Do you think this will work? And where do you get those parts above that power cat was talking about?

Thanks so much.
From your public profile it appears you might be from MS. It may be that your home equipment is pointed to Eastern Arc (EA) and the dish on your RV will use Western Arc (WA). If so, then you may have additional steps to move back and forth from the RV to the home. You may have to go into diagnostics and run install checks each time you move back and forth. So, assuming you are still OK with that additional complication and effort ...

On a 3 year old Trav'ler none of the diagrams in this topic will work.

go to RVSeniormoments.com and read his very detailed posts on how to use your Hopper and Joey with your older Trav'ler. To summarize, you will need 2 coax from the Trav'ler going to a Dish Pro Hybrid 42 MultiSwitch w separate Power Inserter, then single coax runs from it to the Main TV Hopper 3 and the Bedroom TV Joey. The DPH42 is weather proof so you can put it on the roof if that is where the coax run from each TV location goes to. You have to power the DPH42 from inside in-line with the Hopper 3 or Joey with a 120 VAC powered inline power inserter that comes with the DPH42.

The very latest version of the Trav'ler introduced in 2019 is different so don't get confused by discussion of that.

I have bought Dish parts from SolidSignal.com , Amazon.com, Ebay.com depending on who has what and who had the best prices and availability.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #10

Quote:
I just had a Hopper 3 installed today in my home. I would like to take it and my joey in the RV.

Here's a wiring diagram. You'll need to buy a DPH42 switch and a DISH Pro Hybrid Solo Hub.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #11

Thanks guys,
I may have to forget about the Joey, there is a coax going back there in the bedroom but it is for an ota antenna. Perhaps I could intercept that coax and send the sat signal back there on it instead.

From what I remember, there are two coax cables coming in from the roof not 3. I can go to the coach tomorrow and find out what sat dish we put up there a couple of years ago.

Right about now my husband wants to know if we could use our old 722vip in the coach or will dish network give us trouble doing that ?
Old 05-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #12

OK I just checked it, it's a winegard 1000 travel'er. We bought it in 2015.

I do live in Hernando, MS and the dish on my home is pointed to the South west. Even when we had the big C-band dish, it was pointed to the Southwest.

Also the G2 manual says it will not accept the Hopper or the Joey.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Right about now my husband wants to know if we could use our old 722vip in the coach or will dish network give us trouble doing that ?
Nope.

Quote:
OK I just checked it, it's a winegard 1000 travel'er. We bought it in 2015.

Also the G2 manual says it will not accept the Hopper or the Joey.
A Hopper will only work with an open-faced dish like a Travler or a portable dish, and not with any dome units.

So since you have a Travler . . .
Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #14

Ok its a Winegard 1000 traveler that I purchased in 2016.

My home satellite dish in Hernando is pointed to the southwest as was my Big C band dish.

Is there is any other way of finding out what kind of dish I have (1000.2 or 1000.4 or whatever) without going on the roof? How bout the Winegard GM-2000? Should I take it apart? My husband hates when I do that.