Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #1

Hopper 3 eastern arc to western arc issues

I searched first ....

Dish Hopper 3 at home using the two eastern arc satellites, 61 & 72.

Rooftop Trav'ler, was DTV and converted to Dish 110, 119, 129
I'm using the hybrid switch and hub for a second TV on a wired Joey

The antenna searches for and locks on to the 3 western arc sats in about 5 minutes with asterisks next to each satellite on the display.

When I run a "test installation" the system will show the hybrid switch and display all the info for 2 of the 3 western arc satellites, 110 and 119.
129 does not show up at all.
Not just 2 populated and one blank column, only two columns for 110 and 119.

As a result we get no HD channels. Most of the other channels seem to be OK but almost all in SD.

When we get home I run a new test installation and the receiver repopulates the data screens with the correct eastern arc info and channel list.

Any ideas why the Hopper will not display and access the 129 satellite?

I also take a coax wired Joey from the house and use in the RV. Of course it only sees the same SD channels that the Hopper sees, but it works.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #2

Try this, when in the RV and running the "test installation" do not connect the roof antenna coax to the receiver. Let it run the routine and state it couldn't find any satellites, select save or whatever comes up. Check that no satellites are listed in the screen. Now connect the antenna coax to the receiver and run "test installation" again and see if all three western satellites are listed. Also check your settings for antenna type and make sure it is set for non-hybrid.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
Any ideas why the Hopper will not display and access the 129 satellite?
Happened to me all the time. My solution . . .

Before starting your Travler, unplug both your Hopper 3 and DPH42 switch.

Once the Travler has acquired all 3 sats, plug in your Hopper 3 & DPH42.

After the Hopper 3 completes startup, select Diagnostics > Dish > Test Installation. After the test, you should see all 3 sats.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
My solution . . .

Before starting your Travler, unplug both your Hopper 3 and DPH42 switch.

Once the Travler has acquired all 3 sats, plug in your Hopper 3 & DPH42.

After the Hopper 3 completes startup, select Diagnostics > Dish > Test Installation. After the test, you should see all 3 sats.
I typically do this all the time now since first seeing this method listed somewhere else, it doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Try this, when in the RV and running the "test installation" do not connect the roof antenna coax to the receiver. Let it run the routine and state it couldn't find any satellites, select save or whatever comes up. Check that no satellites are listed in the screen. Now connect the antenna coax to the receiver and run "test installation" again and see if all three western satellites are listed.
Something different to try. ALthough it will be about 3 weeks now before I get back to the RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Also check your settings for antenna type and make sure it is set for non-hybrid.
Not sure I recall seeing this anywhere in the setup menu.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Duane, Turn off the Hopper and pull the plug. Wait at least 5 minutes, plug in and let it go through the startup. When it gets to acquiring signal, go to the settings and do your test installation. See if you are now getting all 3 sats. lllkrob's solution may also solve your problem. If not, try this. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Duane, Turn off the Hopper and pull the plug. Wait at least 5 minutes, plug in and let it go through the startup. When it gets to acquiring signal, go to the settings and do your test installation. See if you are now getting all 3 sats. lllkrob's solution may also solve your problem. If not, try this. Chuck

I've tried every combo of powering up, never shows more than two columns of satellites, almost as if the Hopper is set to only see 2, no matter how many are locked on as shown on the Trav'ler control box.

In the pictures - the data will change, but not the layout.
And when using the western arc if I manually input the 129 into the signal strength it just reverts to 110 or 119
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAT_columns_1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	336833   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAT_columns_2.jpg
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	336834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAT_columns_3.jpg
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	336835  
Old 07-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #7

This would suggest to me that the cabling from the Travl'r to the dph42 switch is either not there for the 129 or connected incorrectly. You should have 3 coaxes from the Travl'r base to the DPH switch. Check those for connection and the correct sequence. Sounds like the Hopper is not connecting to the 129 even though the Travl'r has found it. Coax connection somewhere is your most likely problem. BTW, has this ever worked properly? Chuck
Old 07-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
This would suggest to me that the cabling from the Travl'r to the dph42 switch is either not there for the 129 or connected incorrectly. You should have 3 coaxes from the Travl'r base to the DPH switch. Check those for connection and the correct sequence. Sounds like the Hopper is not connecting to the 129 even though the Travl'r has found it. Coax connection somewhere is your most likely problem.
The 3 coax's from the antenna to the switch have been switched to each combination possible. They were alleged to be satellite grade purchased jumpers.
No change

I made 3 new coax cables with the coax and F-connectors I have used for all my S&B satellite and cable feeds.
No change

Quote:
BTW, has this ever worked properly?
Perfectly when it was DirecTV.

Never with Dish
Old 07-29-2021, 10:13 AM   #9

You need 3 cables from the torrent and not the LNB on the correct connections to the connections on the DPH42 to the correct connections. A single coax from the LNB to the torrent. Then a single cable from the correct DPH42 connections to the DPH42 power inserter. From the power inserter to the Hopper. If any of these connections aren't correct you will have issues. Since we can't see how you have everything connected and in what order. It's going to be impossible to troubleshoot. Here is a detailed diagram of how the cabling should be connected. You can skip the AB switch and the solo hub if you're only going directly to a single Hopper. Chuck
Old 07-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #10

You said you're using the "hybrid Switch" But do you have the hybrid LNB AND the DPH42 switch installed? Chuck