Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How I Recovered my Lost Droid Phone

Let me set the stage: I’m a cop in Los Angeles. My partner & I stop at a downtown Denny’s for breakfast. My Droid phone somehow slides off of my belt as I’m exiting the car to go inside Denny’s, and falls to the pavement. The downtown traffic is loud, so I don’t hear it fall. After breakfast I drive back to the station to do some paperwork, when I realize that my phone is missing.

I remembered that I installed an app on my phone called "Where’s My Droid" that helps locate lost or stolen phones. With my partner’s phone, I sent a text to my Droid, with the words "GPS my Droid". I receive back an automated text message from my phone with the GPS coordinates of my phone’s location. I Google the coordinates and locate my phone on a residential street about 6 miles from where I last saw it. My partner & I jump in our patrol car and head to the street that was sent back by my phone. I have an officer working the station desk, text "GPS my Droid" to my phone several more times while we were en route, in case the phone and the person now in possession of it go mobile.

According to Google Earth, the GPS coordinates placed the phone three houses north of a major cross street. We drive up and sure enough, we find a group of individuals hanging out in front of that very house. One of them has my phone in his hand. You should have seen his face when I asked him where he got it. He immediately said he found it on the street in front of Denny’s earlier and that he was about to call the police to report that he had found it. I really didn’t believe him, but I was glad to have my phone back, so he escaped going to jail for receiving stolen property. I thanked him for taking good care of my phone, and drove away.

Afterwards another buddy of mine showed me a different app called Lookout, that works very similar to Where’s My Droid. The beauty of this app is that you don’t have to send a text to get the GPS coordinates. You simply log onto the Lookout website and it tells you where your phone is. It also allows you to activate a siren on the phone for better detection when it’s nearby. I added this app as well.

You gotta love technology!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

Since I have a cheap cell phone, I just have as my first line in the phone book ":( I'm lost please call" and it connects to my husbands phone. I put the same on his phone. Yes, I have lost my phone before and yes we did get a phone call from the person who found it.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I love technology too! DW just installed Lookout on her new Droid.

BTW, were you kidding in that part about the guy avoiding jail for receiving stolen property?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife's new Camry has a GPS tracking device that I can log onto a computer any time, go to their site and find the location of the car within seconds.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
BTW, were you kidding in that part about the guy avoiding jail for receiving stolen property?
Yes and no. He admitted finding the phone next to my patrol car, and said he saw us sitting inside Denny's, yet he didn't make any attempt to contact us to report finding the phone. He instead took it home, where he again made no attempt to report it to the police.

Had he used the phone and claimed it as his own when I jammed him, he definitely would have gone to jail. Since those two things didn't occur, I thanked him for admitting that it wasn't his, and gave him $10 for beer (that's all I had).

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My wife's new Camry has a GPS tracking device that I can log onto a computer any time, go to their site and find the location of the car within seconds.

Ken
The Droids have a google application (part of Maps) called Latitude. You can set it up to tell you the GPS location of friends (who also have droids) and vice versa. (The friends must consent) But this allows my wife to know my GPS location (OK, my phone's location) and me to know hers. Wouldn't that be useful to parents when their kids say they are at the "library, studying"?

Great safety innovation, too.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Lets see... If I had a wife, I'd have to get another cell phone to use when I left mine at work so I could say I was working late
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good story though I feel sorry for his mother (Who likely had to clean his brown smelly underwear)

I lost my el-cheapo phone the other day (monday) Did not know it till Tuesday, Called it and the nice reciptionist at the doctor's office answered and told me where it was.. Nice of her. Picked it up a bit later in the day.

Problem: Since my OWNLY "Car" is over 37' long by 8.5 feet wide by 12.5 feet high (Motor home) There is no parking near the office, and it's HILL country... Thankfully I found a lot near the Sheriff's sub station that is "on a level" with the doctor's office and a trail through the woods (Service drive for water and sewer) that connects the two lots.. Easy bike ride
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
love the droid story!!! My apt in NYC got broken into one day and they took a few stupid things as well as my cell phone. Got a call later that evening from a caller . who immediately hung up and then called right back claiming they "found" my phone and for a "small reward" I could have it back. I asked where I could meet him to "pay" him... He hung up. funny thing... the first time he called he had his caller ID still on and I got the number ( another home number in Brooklyn).... called my station house and a couple of the boys on duty dropped by the address.... and lo and behold.. lots of stolen stuff. Long story short...Guy went to jail, but I never got my phone back. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can be...

cheers
geo

cheers
geo
Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Does she know about it?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #11

Somehow lost my iphone while 4 wheelin in the mountains with a new gf... I had been taking pics with it and ALWAYS set it back in the same exact place and all of a sudden its gone... I still think she grabbed it to go through past phone call, pics and email. I sure wish I would have had a tracking device on it... Who knows I might still be seeing her
Revodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revodoc View Post
I sure wish I would have had a tracking device on it...
You do (did).

If you had a MobileMe account, you go to "Find My iPhone" and a Google map appears with the location of your iPhone down to street level.

If you still can't find it, you can display a message on it (or a sound), lock it, or wipe it so no one can use it.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
that is freaky
not the find a phone app
but police at dennys

no disrespect but you fell right into that stereotype
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Does the IPhone have something like that?
W8EB is offline   Reply With Quote