Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 10:27 PM   #1

How to import routes into Gamin 780 RV??

I can create a custom route in Google Maps, export it as a .gpx file and import it into Basecamp. It shows up fine there but when I click to "Send to device" I doesn't show up anywhere in the 780.

There should be a way to import a custom route into the 780, yes/no? Just starting to use the 780 so hopefully I'm just missing something obvious.
tymzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

So long as your computer "sees" your 780 as an attached device it should transfer a selected route.

For testing, I guess you could start small and just create a random waypoint on BaseCamp to be sure it will transfer.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
On my RV760, it takes a few minutes for a route to show up. I don't use the Send to Device, but drag and drop the route directly into the User Data folder on the "tree" on the left of the screen. Once the route is there, you have disconnect the GPS and to go to the Apps > Trip Planner. Then it takes a minute for it to load into the internal memory and show up in the routes.

One question though, why go to the trouble of creating the route in Google maps then importing it to Base Camp? It's much simpler to just create the route and customize it in Base Camp, then just drag and drop to the GPS.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymzee View Post
I can create a custom route in Google Maps, export it as a .gpx file and import it into Basecamp. It shows up fine there but when I click to "Send to device" I doesn't show up anywhere in the 780.

There should be a way to import a custom route into the 780, yes/no? Just starting to use the 780 so hopefully I'm just missing something obvious.

Please try to find the article I wrote on this subject. It’s very long and detailed. There’s a real problem with the way the ANDROID-based Garmins handle imports...and it’s not all fun and games.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
On my RV760, it takes a few minutes for a route to show up. I don't use the Send to Device, but drag and drop the route directly into the User Data folder on the "tree" on the left of the screen. Once the route is there, you have disconnect the GPS and to go to the Apps > Trip Planner. Then it takes a minute for it to load into the internal memory and show up in the routes.
Still testing but it looks like I can do as you describe to transfer the .gpx file into the User Data folder. I think the part I was missing was that from that point I just have to select the components of the .gpx file and create the route. Makes sense given any route is simply a collection of points on the map to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
One question though, why go to the trouble of creating the route in Google maps then importing it to Base Camp? It's much simpler to just create the route and customize it in Base Camp, then just drag and drop to the GPS.
I realize that my frustrations with BC are due in large part to my unfamiliarity with the interface and I am making some progress in that regard. However the tools & flexibility availability in Google Maps make BC look somewhat primitive by comparison IMO.

But perhaps the biggest reason for working with Google Maps is that I have dozens of custom "My Maps" already created that I can easily share with various groups.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Please try to find the article I wrote on this subject. It’s very long and detailed. There’s a real problem with the way the ANDROID-based Garmins handle imports...and it’s not all fun and games.
I did a number of searches but couldn't find anything directly related to the issues I've been having.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Snip

But perhaps the biggest reason for working with Google Maps is that I have dozens of custom "My Maps" already created that I can easily share with various groups.

Snip

I do the same thing. However I create my routes in RV Trip Wizard and download to Google Maps and Base Camp. I then add map layers to Google Maps that show fueling stops, campgrounds and rest stops all downloaded from POI factory.

Once that's done I have a tablet with google maps displayed with all the layers mounted on my dash. Very cool.

One warning and this is a biggie: If you create a route or map in google maps and download it to Base Camp it will download exactly as it should. HOWEVER when you download the route to your GPS from BaseCamp, your GPS will ignore the route and simply take the origin and destination points and create it's own route using the avoidance's and parameters you set in the GPS, ignoring the route you downloaded to it.

Many times the routes will be the same especially if it's a direct route and the GPS will display the same route, but many times not. The only way to get the route to display in your GPS exactly as it is in BaseCamp is to create enough turn points in BaseCamp to force the GPS to follow the route.

I've noticed on my Garmin RV 770 GPS that routes downloaded from BaseCamp will eventually show up in the trip planner app on the GPS, sometime an hour or two after downloading. Also make sure propane is not checked on your GPS.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
I was not aware Garmin is Android based. Can you expand on what the real problem with this is?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
I did a number of searches but couldn't find anything directly related to the issues I've been having.
I searched and found the thread I started which will give you quite a bit of info to go on...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/map...ze-423806.html

I also posted a bulletin on the Garmin forum:

Yesterday, I spent a half hour on the phone with Garmin T.S., and about another 4 hours running scenarios to find out why Routes are getting duplicated when sent from BaseCamp to the 785.

Bottom line, they aren't sure. However, they are finding issues with sending Routes that are in user-created lists. I shot this concept down; generating problems no matter where the Route resided in BC. Sending 1, 2, or more at at time resulted in the same problem...the Trip Planner would show a Trip Entry, with Duplicate Routes inside that Trip.

The workaround is this:

From within BaseCamp, SAVE/EXPORT your Routes to a GPX file. Those routes can be anywhere; multi-selected, all in one list, etc.

With your 785 mounted on your computer (I use Android File Transfer for my Mac), you'll place that GPX file into the Garmin/GPX directory.

Disconnect and Reboot the 785. If your GPX file contains long or multiple routes, it may take some time before they appear in the Trip Planner.

I suppose that, since the 785 has the Android backbone, there may be a way to put that GPX file onto Google Drive, and then access it from the 785. However, I'm not sure we can get to the right directory using File Manager.

There are still issues, unfortunately, with the Departure Times, so they'll be a little jacked up. Also, I'm not sure why the 785 doesn't bring over the Date; I could swear my 770 did.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #10

Quote:

One important thing to note, if you're on a Mac...
ANDROID FILE TRANSFER AND BASECAMP CANNOT BE RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME.

In case your Import procedure is not correct, here are the instructions. Then, you can check my comments below.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...VT5MrRD4cLY4k9

I've been testing, practicing, trying, whatever you wanna call this for many, many years. It's NOT for the technically-challenged or impatient person.

Invariably, what you'll end up with, is a useless multi-point "route" that's been rendered into somewhat of a track, inundated with a thousand useless LAT/LON waypoints.

Importing them into Basecamp AS A KML file is better. This, at least, retain much of the labeling, and even some "info" that's attached to the POI.

Sending a GPX file to the Garmin 780/785 can be hit and miss, just as it is with a Trip that's been created in BaseCamp. A REBOOT, and WAIT, of the 780/785 is usually necessary.

HOWEVER, there is a bug or flaw in the software...somewhere between Garmin and BaseCamp...that will corrupt, duplicate, or flat out ignore these Trips when they are imported.

The most successful method I've used, is to get the route into BC, then edit it as needed. Then, send the Route, Trip, etc. ONE AT A TIME, then REBOOT the Garmin.

This is the "simple version", because there's a lot that goes on, in between that I usually need to do, whether it's add scheduling, add special Waypoints, etc.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I was not aware Garmin is Android based. Can you expand on what the real problem with this is?
Yes, the 780 and 785 models are Android-based devices that are running Garmin GPS software. This means, basically, that they are a small tablet running the Android OS, with an auto-launch that will run the GARMIN OS when it's booted.

Real Problem? You mean PROBLEMS...and there are many. Let me name a few:

First, take all of the problems associated with Android, then compound it by the fact that the OS will NEVER be updated nearly as quickly, if at all, as any other Android device.

The Garmin software needs to play nice, and vice versa, OR ELSE you'll get a crash! So, not only do you have to deal with Android doing it's crashing thing, you also need to deal with Garmin causing a crash...and there ya go...REBOOTING again.

Android DOES NOT play nice with Macs. So, ya gotta be technical to dance with them. Android File Transfer is needed at times, but also can't be run concurrently with BaseCamp, so you constantly have to deal with that.

Android also doesn't like to stay Mounted to the Mac desktop, so maybe 50% of the time, you're fighting to get it to be connected to BaseCamp in order to use and load your data.

After many years of transferring on all platforms and apps, the MOST problematic has been the Android devices. Transferring data has never been a sure thing, like on the non-Android devices.

Finally, after using dozens of Garmins over the years, the worst ones I've used, have been Android based. I've found NO compelling reason to have a Garmin GPS running on an Android backbone. They're no faster, more expensive, and WHEN they do need an update to Android, you'll never get it. Reason being, independent 3rd party devices lag way, way behind in getting updates from Google. My experience has been NEVER once, have I gotten a needed update. So, you're stuck with an OS that may be years old.

So, why is Garmin using Android devices? Because of the forced need to provide customers with more features such as DashCam, Traffic, Weather, WiFi, Internet, etc. etc. A stand-alone Garmin GPS-only cannot adequately supply users with these services, often which can only be provided by 3rd party integration.

I hope this explains, in brief, the "Problem". Garmin is hard at work and still, in my experience, the best GPS solution out there. The Android thing isn't the Bee's Knees yet...may never be, but it's clearly here to stay, at least in the near future.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:

Routes are found in Apps > Trip Planner. Tracks are located there also. Apps is on the main screen below Where To?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
I do the same thing. However I create my routes in RV Trip Wizard and download to Google Maps and Base Camp. I then add map layers to Google Maps that show fueling stops, campgrounds and rest stops all downloaded from POI factory.

Once that's done I have a tablet with google maps displayed with all the layers mounted on my dash. Very cool.
I've never used Trip Wizard but my methods are quite similar in that I use the Garmin in conjunction with my data enabled tablet in the hands of my co-pilot (wife!). Download offline Gogle maps also when in areas with spotty connection.

Quote:
One warning and this is a biggie: If you create a route or map in google maps and download it to Base Camp it will download exactly as it should. HOWEVER when you download the route to your GPS from BaseCamp, your GPS will ignore the route and simply take the origin and destination points and create it's own route using the avoidance's and parameters you set in the GPS, ignoring the route you downloaded to it.

That makes sense to me given, as you know a route is just a collection of waypoints which each system interprets in its own way using whatever algorithms that program uses.

Quote:
Many times the routes will be the same especially if it's a direct route and the GPS will display the same route, but many times not. The only way to get the route to display in your GPS exactly as it is in BaseCamp is to create enough turn points in BaseCamp to force the GPS to follow the route.
Right. As you point out if it's a relatively direct, obvious route you don't need many waypoints. But if it involves some more complicated turns, you need many more waypoints to keep it on the track you want.

Quote:
I've noticed on my Garmin RV 770 GPS that routes downloaded from BaseCamp will eventually show up in the trip planner app on the GPS, sometime an hour or two after downloading. Also make sure propane is not checked on your GPS.
Hmmm... I've not seen this kind of prolonged wait for routes to show up as you and others have described. After some more experimenting the method I've come up with is proving to work very well. Also I'm running Win 10 on PC. Not sure if the OS makes any kind of difference.

Here's what I do:
  1. Create the exact route I want in Google Maps
  2. Get the URL for that route (I just send to Gmail)
  3. Go to GPSVisualizer.com and convert that file to GPX from the URL (you'll need your Google Maps API Key)
  4. Save the .gpx on your computer

Back In Basecamp:
  1. Import that .gpx file into selected List in My Collection in BC
  2. The START and END POIs show up along with the track (steps icon)
  3. Right click on the track and "Create Route from Selected Track)
  4. Wait until progress bar finishes
  5. From here I can rename or edit the trip
  6. Next drag/drop this new Route into the User Data folder (Memory Card)
  7. When I reboot the Garmin the trip shows up in the Trip Planner app

You obviously have spent a great deal of time and energy in looking into the many quirks of using Garmins and I'm still reading through and learning from the information you provided. Many thanks for your efforts!
Old 02-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #14

@tymzee ,

I’m confused. Is it, or is it not working for you? Your OP said it isn’t. Yet in this last post you say this works.

For one thing, it sounds like you’re dropping a GPX file onto the Memory Card. I can tell you that, after working with Garmin, this IS NOT the place to place them. The files need to be in the Garmin’s directory.

That said, you SHOULD be sending your data, trips, routes, POI, etc etc simply from the BASECAMP “Send To” command.

If you can clarity what’s going on, perhaps I can help more.

Tags
route