Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Community Moderator

How to protect Jack antenna against tree branches?

Bought this Jack antenna and about doing the installation. Considering it's standing out in the air easily being slashed out by tree branches, I am inviting your comments/wisdom in hope of finding a way to protect it. Thanks.

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would just mount it next to something that is higher then the antenna, like an A/C or Dome antenna if so equipted.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trade it for a Bat Wing that hugs the roof when traveling.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I would just mount it next to something that is higher then the antenna, like an A/C or Dome antenna if so equipted.
Good idea but the place is far away from both - right above bed room roof where the batwing was used to be
from another angle, close to anything higher than the antenna could create a potential blocking to the signal in the direction to towers. Isn't it?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
actually I did a stupid thing - half a year ago when I redid roof, I thought the batwing was obsolete so I took it out and put it into trash bin. had I known a lot of people are happily using it, I would have taken a different route
Old 02-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You avoid low bridges and tunnels. Avoid low hanging trees too. Besides damaging vents and antennas, tree branches can damage rubber roofs and paint finishes.
If there is damage from trees, file a claim with the responsible party, i.e. County Dept of Public Works, City, or Campground. If they refuse to pay, there is Small Claims Court.
I also cary a tree lopper and cordless sawsall for when I enter campgrounds to do trimming.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
You avoid low bridges and tunnels. Avoid low hanging trees too. Besides damaging vents and antennas, tree branches can damage rubber roofs and paint finishes.
If there is damage from trees, file a claim with the responsible party, i.e. County Dept of Public Works, City, or Campground.
Definitely I will avoid those hazard low stuffs (to RV). Not sure claiming will work
Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Definitely I will avoid those hazard low stuffs (to RV). Not sure claiming will work
Here's what I've done so far:

1) The Jack is in the same location as the old batwing. That location is on the rear driver's side between the gutter and the bedroom A/C. If your JACK is front mounted, you probably have a similar situation except for a sat. dome.

2) On my departure checklist I have a notion to rotate it so the "pointy end" is facing the gutter ... I have decided this is the best position to allow branches to be pushed aside when entering/exiting a campsite.

3) so far, so good !!. It's not optimal for wind resistance but ... really ...

4) if I ever discovered it was a real problem I'd probably mount an arc'ed deflector like they use when moving a house down the road (basically, a curved piece of PVC anchored on the ends to form an arc over the highest object on the roof).

5) of course, the "discovery" (above) would probably result in a new JACK purchase

BTW, in normal receiving mode, the pointy end is facing AWAY from the transmitter.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Not so much when you forget to retract it
Old 02-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Good idea but the place is far away from both - right above bed room roof where the batwing was used to be
from another angle, close to anything higher than the antenna could create a potential blocking to the signal in the direction to towers. Isn't it?
I found this to be a non-issue ... a slight relocation of the RV has always unblocked the antenna ... doesn't take much.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
actually I did a stupid thing - half a year ago when I redid roof, I thought the batwing was obsolete so I took it out and put it into trash bin. had I known a lot of people are happily using it, I would have taken a different route
CountryFit
To bad!
But, if you're anything like me, that isn't the first mistake you ever made, (nor will it be the last).

Many coach owners mount a Jack antenna head, (like this: King Controls JACK Antenna Off-Air Digital HDTV Replacement - $38.. ), onto the existing Winegard "crank up, rotating" hardware, (more height usually equals better reception).
They save $70, use the existing antenna amp and can rotate/aim the Jack antenna without moving the coach.

BTW, I added a Wingman: Winegard GS-WING Wingman Sensar TV Antenna Upgrade (GS-WING) from Solid Signal , to the batwing and replaced the amp with one of these: SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Here's what I've done so far:

1) The Jack is in the same location as the old batwing. That location is on the rear driver's side between the gutter and the bedroom A/C. If your JACK is front mounted, you probably have a similar situation except for a sat. dome.

2) On my departure checklist I have a notion to rotate it so the "pointy end" is facing the gutter ... I have decided this is the best position to allow branches to be pushed aside when entering/exiting a campsite.

3) so far, so good !!. It's not optimal for wind resistance but ... really ...

4) if I ever discovered it was a real problem I'd probably mount an arc'ed deflector like they use when moving a house down the road (basically, a curved piece of PVC anchored on the ends to form an arc over the highest object on the roof).

5) of course, the "discovery" (above) would probably result in a new JACK purchase

BTW, in normal receiving mode, the pointy end is facing AWAY from the transmitter.
All good points, Bruce. I appreciate it. Mine is at passenger side at 10 o'clock on a bird eye facing front, about 2 feet apart. Hopefully tree branches will not knock mine down
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
CountryFit
To bad!
But, if you're anything like me, that isn't the first mistake you ever made, (nor will it be the last).

Many coach owners mount a Jack antenna head, (like this: King Controls JACK Antenna Off-Air Digital HDTV Replacement - $38.. ), onto the existing Winegard "crank up, rotating" hardware, (more height usually equals better reception).
They save $70, use the existing antenna amp and can rotate/aim the Jack antenna without moving the coach.

BTW, I added a Wingman: Winegard GS-WING Wingman Sensar TV Antenna Upgrade (GS-WING) from Solid Signal , to the batwing and replaced the amp with one of these: SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter

Mel
'96 Safari
I talked to winegard the other day. the tech explained to me the nice things about the sensar4. he confirmed the distance ratings for sensar and jack are the same, 65 miles. if I had the batwing, getting a sensar4 would have been a natural decision... unfortunately it's gone. btw, I grabbed this jack from an rv shop for $60, brand new. the white piece in the photo is the built-in signal finder... not too bad.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
if I had the batwing, getting a sensar4 would have been a natural decision...
CountryFit
I may be wrong, but IMO the Sensar IV is nothing more than an original batwing with a Wingman added.

I know that some have found the King Controls Jack antenna to be better than both the batwing and the Sensar IV.

BTW, I've added a Wingman to my 18 year old batwing, but I can't see any significant improvement of the already satisfactory TV reception.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna