Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2023, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
As mentioned, I have Ting. 2 lines. Unlimited talk and text. "Pay as you go" data (not cheap). Average bill, including taxes, is less than $30/month !
That's good! For you. We use lots of data when traveling, so pay as you go is dangerous
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2023, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Every single person I know personally that has switched to T-Mobile has switched back as soon as they could, my son in AZ and friends in NM for example. I understand that there are locations that T-Mobile might get better reception than Verizon, but I am definitely not near any of those.
We have several friends we travel with who always switch to the new lowest carrier. They borrow our Verizon phones when theirs don't have service.
We have traveled all over and have always found Verizon to have the best service.
I don't understand the cost argument. We have 2 lines with unlimited everything, works in Canada and Mexico, and it is $92 a month. I think that is acceptable.
So Very True.. Switch from Verizon and it was Horrible. So glad to finely switch back !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:53 PM   #17

Switched to T-Mobile last September. Went from two lines and 10gb of shared data at $163/mo, to two lines with 40gb data each at $98.99/mo. Tried the home internet, but could only get less than mbps download speed. Took the internet modem back. Overall, the coverage is not quite as good as Verizon, but for saving $63 /mo., I'm satisfied. Oh yeah, two new iPhones as well. Waiting for the internet to get better in my location.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:54 PM   #18

Experiences seem to vary. My entire family was on Verizon (grown kids, in-laws, grandkids, etc) a few years back. We were to last to give up on Verizon and go Tmobile. Not a one has gone back and I've sure seen no reason to.

We have the Magenta 55+. If there's any extra benefit to it being a senior plan I can't tell it. Price is OK and our unlimited data is cheaper than the 10 gigs a month we had before. Wife sometimes forgot to turn her wifi back on after turning it off for whatever reason. A couple of times that got expensive quick until I learned to send the data usage alerts to MY phone. I haven't worried about data usage in two years now. So there's that.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:02 PM   #19

T-mobile doesn't have the same coverage as Verizon. If you don't travel that will not be an issue as long as T-mobile is strong in that area......they can't cover you very well when you start rolling west. Once you get near heavily populated areas it gets better.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:30 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tested T-Mobile last summer on our trip to South Dakota. They allow you to use their service for a period of time for free without affecting your current carrier. Essentially you are using them for cellular data. In most places throughout the trip the TM signal was as good as my Verizon. In some places V would best them, sometimes vice versa. I used my phone with TM data to stream SXM the whole trip. As I recall, there was only once or twice I lost coverage. I’m doing their test drive again now closer to home and again for the most part, coverage is on par with Verizon. Friends and coworkers that have TM are happy with it. I’ll probably go ahead and switch next month.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:02 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
"T-mobile doesn't have the same coverage as Verizon."

And likewise Verizon doesn't have the same coverage as T Mobile
Old 04-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #22

We have ATT if I sit in the dining room, some day we will have another choice. T-Mobile and Verizon haven't come here yet.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:00 AM   #23

We changed over a few months ago. We have no inclination to go back, in part because VZ was unwilling to do anything to lower our costs until we left. Now, of course, they want us back and they are offering a deal I'd have been happy to take before we switched.

In our area, T-Mobile's coverage is about equivalent to what Verizon had 5-10 years ago. Verizon's has not particularly improved in the past few years and is still spotty here. No carrier has coverage that works at our house so far. We'll see what T-Mobile does, especially with the plans to use Starlink to fill in coverage gaps for text initially, then voice and data later on.

Also, with Starlink and wifi calling, we generally have phone service no matter where we're parked.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
We changed over a few months ago. We have no inclination to go back, in part because VZ was unwilling to do anything to lower our costs until we left. Now, of course, they want us back and they are offering a deal I'd have been happy to take before we switched.
Unless you go to a MVNO like Visible or Ting, it seems like you have to swap carriers every couple of years to get the best deal !
Old 04-04-2023, 06:42 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
In 2021 on my first trip with T-Mobile to WVa I barely had a signal, at the time I still had the Sprint SIM card. I called T-Mobile and said swap SIM cards and my problems would be solved NOT!!!!!.

At home under Sprint the signal was terrible and they sent me a magic box which helped but with T-Mobile I hardly have a signal and drop calls all the time.

I then went on a ~12 state trip in the midwest, I hardly had a signal outside of any size metropolitan area.
I had a Cricket hotspot (ATT) that had a signal everyplace I stopped (some times weak but still enough to use internet). A couple times when my phone would not connect for calls I had to use WIFI calling with the Cricket hotspot.

So my experience with t-Mobile has not been great. Waiting on my wife to change plans as she's the one that got us into the mess
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
I used Sprint for many years, starting with the infamous red Nokia ! Never an issue. But then, when I travel, it is the main roads and Interstates.

I assume T-Mobile over the towers that Sprint had and then changed the to their own "signal".

I think T-mobile actually wound up turning off some 80% of Sprint's network and had to do a near-complete tower replacement. Sprint stopped upgrading towers back in 2011-ish era and the whole network was on its last legs. Sprint was a total dumpster fire but their customers were none the wiser because they never had to upgrade phones.

The "big angst" with T-mobile's takeover was Sprint customers suddenly being forced to move to "modern" phones... shortly after Sprint had tried to sell them "less-modern" 5G phones.
Suburbazine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:06 AM   #27

We switched from ATT to T-Mobile 3 years ago. We like their service and have also just recently installed their internet service.
From experience, we know that any 1 single carrier will not cover the entire USA. So we also purchase an ATT SIM card and use that phone when T-Mobile does not have coverage.
We are on the Magenta plan at TMobile and purchase an annual ATT SIM card for $25/mo. This works for us.
Each of us decides which carrier to use is based upon their particular wants and needs.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon