RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #1

I setup my Teton WIFI Ranger but need help

After setting up Teton here at home connected to my Home WIFI it works Fine, but if I try connecting to any one of 4 Xfinity Hotspot all with full bars It connects with no problems, but when I try to go to a web page like MSN.com it says HMMM... can't reach this page.

I been trying to figure it out but having trouble.

As you can see the Teton says I'm online and my Galaxy Tab S6 and my Surface Go both connect to the Teton with no issues.

I'm just trying to make sure it working with other Hotspot before I go Camping in Maine next moth to make it sure I won't have any issues at the campground connecting to and using the campgrounds WIFI.

If I connect my tablet directly to the Xfinity Hotspot it works Fine, but the minute I connect with the Teton it won't go to any web Address. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200706-233000_Edge.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	292208Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200706-232856_Edge.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	292209Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200706-232840_Settings.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	292210

Cowboy6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Your screen shot shows that the Xfinity connection is labeled Filtered. That's the Ranger's way of telling you that you need to click on the connection to complete some form of "registration." Maybe it's a screen asking you to accept the terms and conditions or something of that sort. It you were using a laptop rather than a phone, the Ranger's control panel would clearly say "Filtered; Click to Connect"

Joel (AKA docj)

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #3

No I can't even get to that page to do that still says HMMM can't reach that page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Your screen shot shows that the Xfinity connection is labeled Filtered. That's the Ranger's way of telling you that you need to click on the connection to complete some form of "registration." Maybe it's a screen asking you to accept the terms and conditions or something of that sort. It you were using a laptop rather than a phone, the Ranger's control panel would clearly say "Filtered; Click to Connect"

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy6201 View Post
No I can't even get to that page to do that still says HMMM can't reach that page.
My chief technical guy says to make sure the DNS on your Ranger is set to Auto. That should either fix the problem itself or give us more information.

To check the DNS setting you will need to unhide the Advanced Features which you can do from the Setup page of the Control Panel. Then you can find the DNS Static/Automatic switch on the Advanced Page which you will now see.

If you have a laptop or other computer, you could try to log in using it. You should see the "Filtered--click here to connect" message. Either click on that or attempt to open a new tab on your browser. The "filtering" mechanism should present the "splash page" that you need to respond to.

Alternatively, at the bottom of your phone's WiFiRanger screen there ought to be a link for the full, desktop control panel. You should be able to use it to do the same thing.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

I just checked and DNS is set to Auto still no go connecting to the Xfinity Hotspot.
Quote:
My chief technical guy says to make sure the DNS on your Ranger is set to Auto. That should either fix the problem itself or give us more information.

To check the DNS setting you will need to unhide the Advanced Features which you can do from the Setup page of the Control Panel. Then you can find the DNS Static/Automatic switch on the Advanced Page which you will now see.

If you have a laptop or other computer, you could try to log in using it. You should see the "Filtered--click here to connect" message. Either click on that or attempt to open a new tab on your browser. The "filtering" mechanism should present the "splash page" that you need to respond to.

Alternatively, at the bottom of your phone's WiFiRanger screen there ought to be a link for the full, desktop control panel. You should be able to use it to do the same thing.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I just checked and DNS is set to Auto still no go connecting to the Xfinity Hotspot.
I just took a remote look at your Ranger. You have SafeSurf enabled. This most likely is the source of your problem with the Filtered connection. Try disabling it and then making the connection. Be sure to wait until the lock symbol at the top of the control panel page disappears.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 07-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #7

No still not working
Quote:
I just took a remote look at your Ranger. You have SafeSurf enabled. This most likely is the source of your problem with the Filtered connection. Try disabling it and then making the connection. Be sure to wait until the lock symbol at the top of the control panel page disappears.

Joel (AKA docj)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot%20(1).jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	292276Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot%20(2)%20-%20Copy.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	292277
Old 07-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #8

Those screen shots came from Surface Go Not my Galaxy Tab S6 this time
Quote:
Old 07-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Joel (AKA docj)

Is there a way I could remote into my own wifiranger or is that an exclusive for the company?
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolZ71 View Post
Is there a way I could remote into my own wifiranger or is that an exclusive for the company?
It's a debugging tool for our Customer Service staff.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
No still not working
Ok, here are a couple of suggestions.

1) Rather than going to MSN or other HTTPS website, try going to a "regular" HTTP site (such as IRV2). The "filtering system" may redirect you to the "splash page."

2) If that doesn't work, then attempt, once again, to connect to the Infinity hostpot. Then go to the Status page of the Ranger's control panel and write down the IP address for the Gateway corresponding to the infinity hotspot.

Next, open a new browser tab and enter this IP address in the browser's address line. It should take you to the "splash page."
Old 07-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #12

Still won't come up or connect.
Quote:
Ok, here are a couple of suggestions.

1) Rather than going to MSN or other HTTPS website, try going to a "regular" HTTP site (such as IRV2). The "filtering system" may redirect you to the "splash page."

2) If that doesn't work, then attempt, once again, to connect to the Infinity hostpot. Then go to the Status page of the Ranger's control panel and write down the IP address for the Gateway corresponding to the infinity hotspot.

Next, open a new browser tab and enter this IP address in the browser's address line. It should take you to the "splash page."
Old 07-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Still won't come up or connect.
Spoke with WFR's CTO this evening. He thinks that the issue is that you're trying to connect a router to a router and there's a conflict, most likely with the NAT approach being used by Xfinity.

His suggestion was for you to use the administrative tools for your Xfinity hotspot so you can identify the IP address being given to the Ranger. You should also be able to seethe MAC address of the Ranger's WiFi that you are connecting to.

Once you have that info, he says you ought to be able to call Xfinity and provide it to them so that the Ranger can be put on the access list for your router/hotspot. That should allow it to automatically connect.

Joel (AKA docj))
Old 07-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #14

Got another issue.
When I set up the WiFi ranger I named both networks the same, but now one of the names turned back to default name, I need to change it back to the network name Glenn & Michelle but can't find ehere to change it in the control panel?.
Quote:
Spoke with WFR's CTO this evening. He thinks that the issue is that you're trying to connect a router to a router and there's a conflict, most likely with the NAT approach being used by Xfinity.

His suggestion was for you to use the administrative tools for your Xfinity hotspot so you can identify the IP address being given to the Ranger. You should also be able to seethe MAC address of the Ranger's WiFi that you are connecting to.

Once you have that info, he says you ought to be able to call Xfinity and provide it to them so that the Ranger can be put on the access list for your router/hotspot. That should allow it to automatically connect.

Joel (AKA docj))
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200715-153650_Settings.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	293341

Tags
need help, wifi