Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

I'd like buy a new Laptop......

Hello everyone:
I'm far from being a computer expert,far less and I'm looking to buy an Acer Aspire or a Gateway,both of this laptop model must
out of stock,because Amazon only shows refurbished one.I do not need a
computer for professionals.I'm interested in something (like Consumers report refers to as laptop for the majority of people.
What should I be looking for in my reserch,Consumers report had these
Gateway NV59C704 for $450
Acer AS 5742-6814 for $580........
Your input is very much appreciated,araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dont do the Gateway..

These two, right of the top, are better than the two your looking at, with the Acer being faster but cheaper than the one you found, and Toshiba being a high quality:

Acer Aspire 4GB 15.6 Black Notebook PC at CircuitCity.com

Toshiba Satellite Pro 15.6 Core i3 640GB Notebook at CircuitCity.com

I assumed you wanted to stay in the $5-600 range.. There are others if you look around.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
I was a die hard Microsoft person until I got a MacBookPro . . . definitely stay away from a Gateway at all costs. The Mac is so intuitive and easy to use, I couldn't be happier. Depending upon your needs (I do a lot of graphics and web programming so needed the latest and greatest), you could probably get a refurbished model a few years old for a reasonable price. If you really want a Microsoft-based laptop, I'd stay away from Gateway and Compac.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #4

I just buy the current $500 model of acer or hp and have done well over the years. Today and yesterday, $500 gets me all the technology I need.
rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Once you go to Apple computers, you will never go back !
As the previous post notes, it is simply easy to use, and
it works without worry about bugs, virus, and problems.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

I finally went with a MacBook Air and ditched the Windows machine. Now I am an all Apple guy.

I am only having one problem with the change, because the Mac is so much simpler than Windows, I keep trying to make it more difficult!

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Gotta love the Apple fanboyz....

The OP didnt ask.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

A couple of years ago, I bought a Gateway notebook thru Amazon. Nothing but trouble from day one. Customer service was not helpful at all. After 1 week, I ended up paying shipping to send it to Gateway service center for them to cover it under warranty. Got it back, problem still not fixed. Ended up returning it to Amazon (who was great, by the way). I'll never buy another Gateway. Bought a Toshiba and love it.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We've got 2 Acer Aspires- nice, inexpensive machines. You might check Tiger Direct; good prices and customer service.

And by the way; don't discount refurbished machines. We've owned several, and they have performed equally as well as a new machine. You can usually get a service contract to go with them, but we never bothered. If a laptop dies, its time to go get a new one- they get obsolete so fast.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

Yep, that makes; 1 iPod, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad2, and a Macbook Air 13". I guess you could say that I am now an Apple fanboy. If I were going to use it for business, I would have probably stayed with Windows, but since I am leaving shortly to full-time, my IT department is standardized!

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Apple MacBookPro 17" is the sweet ticket for me. Stone reliable, superb quality & engineering, and a dream to use. Never an issue with viruses, obscure computer code crashes, etc. Yeah... it's not the "cheap" solution. But I do my best to avoid cheap solutions whenever I can. Macs are worth the money. No aggravation, just a joy to have and use.

I agree with those who say once you go Mac, you'll never look back. I use this machine professionally as a photographer. I also use an iPad2 whenever I'm out and about and at bedside, and to check email/news/surf before sleep and before getting out of bed in the AM. Happy as a clam with this amazing gear. Add in the iPhone4 as a mini platform for telecommunications and running some apps. I don't use the iPhone anymore for email or web because the iPad is simply indispensible for doing this while out and about, traveling, etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another Apple fan here. 2 IMACs and 1 IPAD. The wife still uses her HP laptop but when she is in a hurry she grabs the IPAD.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had nothing but Gateway for the last 14 years, my last laptop has lasted over 4 years now my wife uses it for email & IM, last November I picked up a Gateway NV57H44u for around $470.00 and its fantastic.
RayandPamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went back...

I had a macbook for 2 years before I spilled water on it. Found out the hard way they are not water proof. I took it to the mac genius bar and was told it would cost $1500 to repair it. A new one at the time was $1299.

Now that I am on a fixed budget, no new mac for me.

About a week before Christmas 2011, Best Buy put their emachines D528-2496 on special for $199. It does everything my mac did for a whole lot less. Plus the macbook did not have an HDMI port and SD card reader. This does, so I can rent movies from Amazon.com and watch them on HDTV.

Macs are nice, but not necessary.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote