Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looking to purchase a rooftop system, would appreciate any info on what you think is best product, looking for something easy to use. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Looking to purchase a rooftop system, would appreciate any info on what you think is best product, looking for something easy to use. Thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Well, it does depend to some extent on your intended use. Some dome models can be watched while driving, but they do have some limitations full-size non-dome dishes do not have. My recommendation would be to check out Motosat dishes. We replaced a our OEM single LNB Winegard with a Motosat dual-LNB dish (for Dish Network 500 service). We love our Motosat!. Turn it on, wait about 5 seconds for the lights to go through the setup procedure, push another button, and walk away. In less than a minute it will set itself up and lock onto the satellites. The Motosat is far more stable in winds, etc than our original Winegard was.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:21 AM   #4

Knight 05,

I plan on upgrading my manual satellite antenna to a automatic unit and have done a fair amount of research. Keep in mind this applies to my life style and may not be what you are looking for but it might help.

My requirements are that the system be stationary only, either HD compatible or upgradeable, easily installed by me, serve all SD and future HD DirecTV sats, within my budget and have USA based tech support.

The Movin View product by Winegard meets all my requirements. Motosat and Datastorm are fantastic products but a bit pricey for me and more difficult to install on my '05 Bounder.

I have exchanged e-mail with Winegard tech support and they answered all my questions regarding HD in great detail. They then urged me to wait until November 1st before I purchase. They will be making a new product announcement at that time, he would not go into details but I suspect it will have to do with a new HD product. Currently, If you have DirecTV and buy the Movin View, you need an HD Satellite Interface and a DirecTV HD converter. I suspect they are including one or both of them in the new product.

So, I will be checking Winegard Home after November 1st.

Hope this helps, remember, your requirements may vary so be sure to check out Motosat and Datastorm as well as Winegard.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tincup... so it sounds like Winegard is supposedly going to take care of the problem with the new multiple satellite expanded HD channels that DirecTV has come out with?

I know when I spoke with King Dome they said they had nothing planned for the new DirecTV Expanded HD lineup.

I guess the problem is requiring at least 5 LNB's.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quite happy with my MotoSAT MHDTV.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #7

Bob,

I assume that's what they're doing. They were very tight lipped about that November 1st announcement, so I guess we just have to wait and see.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Gues I will be waiting til Nov alos. I am mainly interested in stationary rec and easy to use.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #9

I installed a KVH dome this summer. After a great deal of research, it seemed to be the most reliable. A couple of local dealers say they have had WAY TOO many issues with the King Domes. KVH was actually a little less expensive; it had a $200 mail in rebate!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Weingard should have no problem with multiple satelittes as they do that for Dish network. The Movin View finds and handles both for the current satelittes. We have been very happy with ours and were really plaeased after upgrading from the manual antenna.

I hope any changes required for HD will be also as an upgrade for the thousands out on units.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

"Multiple satellites" in the future areas many as five at one time - Direct TV is already providing 5 LNB dishes to their residential customers. Nobody, including Wineguard, has a 5 LNB dome system. Direct TV is also moving some HD stations to Ka band satellites, which are larger as well as a different design of LNB.

The good news is that at this time it appears the new Ka satellites will be used mostly to provide regional spot beams, so mobile users with DNS service may not need to have access to them. Emphasis is on the "may", according to the KVH guy I talked to a couple weeks ago. He had just come from an update meeting with DTV and said things change every time they talk, so nothing could be said for sure yet.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our very own Rebelsbeach is quite proficient concerning satellite systems. You may want to drop him a line in PM or perhaps he will pick up on this thread.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Knight 05:
Looking to purchase a rooftop system, would appreciate any info on what you think is best product, looking for something easy to use. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I linked this to the technology forum earlier today to get you some more responses, but after reading your initial post I wanted to make certain of what you're looking for...

Are you in fact looking for TV or internet, or possibly both?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the deal on Nov 1st, is the new system coming out for HD reception. is is to be better than buying the current model with the upgrade. they would not tell me the price, but it will be worth waiting for. is all i was told today from Winegard Customer c=service.