Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2022, 07:00 AM   #1

Inseego MiFi X PRO 5G UW from VZW: Thoughts, Experience?

Greetings,

I'm researching hotspot options for use as an occasional backup to Starlink. For example, we're spending the week after Christmas near Lake Havasu City in Cattail Cove State Park and I'm not 100% confident that I'll be able to bolt up to Starlink due to network congestion.

Since I'm already a Verizon customer I'm beginning my search there. The Inseego MiFi X PRO 5G UW looks intriguing, but I've yet to find much in the way of useful/helpful reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with this device?

Many thanks in advance!

- Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 07:15 AM   #2

I've had it since early September. Multiple short trips and one 3 week trip to Florida. Never failed me. Initial setup was easy. It hasn't had any slow moments or times of unavailability. So you could say we're happy. I have the 150gb plan with it.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I've had it since early September. Multiple short trips and one 3 week trip to Florida. Never failed me. Initial setup was easy. It hasn't had any slow moments or times of unavailability. So you could say we're happy. I have the 150gb plan with it.
Thank you very much! I'd likely go with the 150GB plan, too, since I'll be working remotely.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #4

Thought I'd take a minute to post a quick update...

I picked up the Inseego MiFi X PRO 5G UW hotspot from my local Verizon store this afternoon. Setup was pretty straightforward, although I've still got some tweaking to do.

Initial speeds are very good so far: 101.40 Mbps down and 34.17 Mbps up on 5G here in the foothills west of Reno.

- Ken
Old 12-01-2022, 02:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVFlyAngler View Post
Thought I'd take a minute to post a quick update...

I picked up the Inseego MiFi X PRO 5G UW hotspot from my local Verizon store this afternoon. Setup was pretty straightforward, although I've still got some tweaking to do.

Initial speeds are very good so far: 101.40 Mbps down and 34.17 Mbps up on 5G here in the foothills west of Reno.

- Ken

Will Verizon stores just sell this hotspot device alone without my buying a new plan? I need one for my Legacy prepaid unlimited plan and can swap the sim straight out of my 8800L hotspot myself, I don't want them doing anything accept selling me the hotspot.
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:13 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladu2 View Post
Will Verizon stores just sell this hotspot device alone without my buying a new plan? I need one for my Legacy prepaid unlimited plan and can swap the sim straight out of my 8800L hotspot myself, I don't want them doing anything accept selling me the hotspot.
If not, buy it on Ebay.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladu2 View Post
If that is an older grandfathered plan I wouldn't even go into the Verizon store with it. They make any changes to that account that will void the contract even adding the serial number of the new hotspots voids the account. Get it some where else and just move the SIM....
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #8

Has anyone done this?

Last time I replaced our hotspot I went with a 4g because nobody could confirm I could just put my sim in the undergo. I couldn't find one on eBay then anyway.

BTW, the numbers quoted above are what I get on 4g...

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If not, buy it on Ebay.

They haven't started showing up on eBay yet, guess that model is too new, I've been checking.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:46 AM   #10

My X Pro has better reception than my previous 4G Jetpack on a 4G connection. And also has a battery saver function that allows you to keep the X Pro plugged into the charger continuously without damaging the battery. Jetpacks would overheat the battery if plugged in full time.
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersk View Post
My X Pro has better reception than my previous 4G Jetpack on a 4G connection. And also has a battery saver function that allows you to keep the X Pro plugged into the charger continuously without damaging the battery. Jetpacks would overheat the battery if plugged in full time.
The speeds I got the other day were 5G (not 5G UW). We're about 4.5 miles LOS from the nearest Verizon tower. I'll be curious to see what I get with 4G someday when I don't have any 5G available.

The next test will be in Lake Havasu City where, allegedly, 5G UW is available in certain areas.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:14 PM   #12

After patiently waiting the Inseego M3100 5G Hotspots for Verizon started showing up on eBay and I bought one from a seller, (Bonfireadios, $219), I've used the seller before and I found them reliable. I received the hotspot a couple of days ago. It came without a charger as listed. The hotspot seems to operate while charging best with my 3.1 amp generic charger then a lesser amp one (which causes the internet to drop out if I attempt to use a lower amperage charger). At home I'm wanting the capability to leave the charger plugged in to the hotspot full time and continuous availability of the hotspot's internet function without the need of my doing anything else except turning on my laptop. In Admin settings, I set device timeout to "never", I set device shutdown to "never" and I set battery preservation to "off". That seems to allow me continuous uninterrupted usage of the M3100. Have any of you with a M3100 found different admin settings that allow for continuous 24/7 hands off operation of the M3100?
Old 11-24-2023, 10:42 PM   #13

The AUKEY PA-B3 Omnia 65W Fast USB C Charger is fantastic. You can find them on eBay.

I would turn the battery preservation function on, otherwise it will overcharge the battery and the battery will leak and make a mess if you keep it on a charger full time. The battery preservation function will keep the battery charged to 60%.
towersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersk View Post
The AUKEY PA-B3 Omnia 65W Fast USB C Charger is fantastic. You can find them on eBay.

I would turn the battery preservation function on, otherwise it will overcharge the battery and the battery will leak and make a mess if you keep it on a charger full time. The battery preservation function will keep the battery charged to 60%.
Thanks, I did turn it back on a couple of hours ago and so far no internet drop outs. I'll take a look at the charger you mentioned. I'm using the pUDP Legacy Verizon plan, we just have 4G-LTE at home but there is 5G coverage in a nearby town, I will report back with a speed test from there. Already the 4G-LTE internet speed is greater with the M3100 then it was with the Inseego 8800L hotspot. I'll miss the TS-9 Antenna ports but can use our Weboost Reach if the cell signal is weak while we are camping.