Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #1

Install New Radio - Need Electrical Guidance

Question: How can I safely run power to a new car stereo?

Background: I have a 2006 Skyline that has never had a radio in it. No speakers, no radio, just me humming and now my family wants one. I ordered a car stereo and 2 speakers and I will handle the install.

My easiest connection would be an interior light where I can tap a wire into it, and run that to the stereo. The light is on the 12v system so no matter how I am hooked up (12v/120v) it will work.

What are my pitfalls? What am I not aware of? Does this sound smart or will I burn up my trailer? I don't think it will be possible to run a line from the converter, it's quite difficult to get to.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
rednielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I think you are on the right track. I will ask a couple guys in the shop what the best place to tap the 12V system would be to ensure a safe install. I am thinking an inline fuse may rest asure any concerns of over heating the line with the radio draw. I will look into this and follow up within a couple days with some advise from one of my techs.
LendingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The major pitfall with tapping a light circuit is the amount of power the radio needs.. Some are polite, only needing a few amps, some have serious power needs (I mean car radios can be anywhere from 10 watts to 50 watts or more per channel and when you get up around 100 watts per.. it takes serious power)

I've tapped such a circuit in a trailer many times.

If it's a motor home there may be a better way.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback.

Good idea to put in an inline fuse to protect the wire. I will be sure to put that in the mix. The wires to the lights are 18 gauge AWG(?).

This radio is 50 watts per channel (x4 channels) and we will only have 2 6x9's hooked up. I know that the radio has a 10 amp fuse on the back. I expect this will be used to 30% of it's capability. It's not a big trailer and the speakers will be only 5 feet away.

Thanks and look forward to more sage advice.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Commercial Member

I spoke to my tech and you shouldnt have any issues tapping the wire at a local light. I was correct we recomend an inline 10-15 amp fuse just incase the draw of the radio becomes to much. I doubt you would have such an issue but for the low cost of an inline....well worth it. If you have further questions please let me kow. I will do what I can to help.
LendingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I can't necessarily tell you the best place to get the power from but I can tell you that you will also need to find an ignition source. Your radio will need 12 volts constant, a ground, and a switched 12v. If you only grab a constant power source you risk draining the battery if you do not turn it off when you get out of the MH.

If you only grab a switched source you will lose any settings you had, such as programmed radio stations, clock, or the ability to resume from where you left a song on Cd.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback

Appreciate all that helped out with their suggesitions on my next project. Going to get working on it next weekend now that all the gear is in.

I have been part of many forums and for some reason I am always surprised at the willingness of people to lend a hand.

Thanks again and happy travels.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #8

So, to show you what a novice I am at this... I am pulling power from wires connected to an overhead light. Is the interior travel trailer wiring like house wiring: white = neutral and black = power?

As well, on the stereo I have a yellow, red and black wire. I know that yellow is constant and red is switched. I don't care about radio settings because we will only use the ipod for all our music, and I remove my batteries when it is put away between trips. Do I need to hook up just the yellow and black wire, ignoring the red?

Reason I am asking... I hooked up the stereo and my 10amp fuse popped in the stereo... I stopped.

Sheesh... sorry to lay this one out there. Thanks for the help...
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Automotive wiring does not conform to a set standard on colors, largely because most of the wires are more complicated than just hot or not. There are trends though, typically a black wire will be your ground but you still always need to check with a voltmeter.

As for the radio wires, you will still need to power both the red and yellow. If you don't care that it loses settings just tap the yellow wire onto the red when you get power to it.

If your fuse immediately pops that means you have something backwards and the system is grounding out. Unhook your wires and start checking polarity and continuity with a volt meter.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #10

That did it! I checked with my voltmeter and I had the wires backwards. At least in this trailer, the wiring does mirror my house wiring. All is working now and it is fantastic. Kenwood 6x9's provide a full sound even at low volumes.

Thanks again to all... I am really done this time. On to the next project: Adding lights in the storage area tied to a magnetic switch. Better make sure my insurance is up-to-date.

Tags
electrical, install, radio