Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be installing a new satellite antenna on the roof of my 2003 Endeavor. This is a new install, not a replacement of a previously installed antenna. I received a roof strucural drawing form a tech at Monaco. I found a single RG-6 cable and a 12vdc plug in the cabinet above the driver on the left side.

I will need to have 3 RG-6 and one control cable from the new antenna and the tech at Monaco said that the RG-6 that they installed is not usable for pulling these cables to location of the new antenna. I could run the new cables from the new antenna along the roof aways untill I could reach them from inside the TV cabinet. The TV cabinet is open awaiting my install of a 32" HDTV so working from inside of the cabinet is very doable.

Any one with ideas or experience with installing a satellite antenna please talk to me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be installing a new satellite antenna on the roof of my 2003 Endeavor. This is a new install, not a replacement of a previously installed antenna. I received a roof strucural drawing form a tech at Monaco. I found a single RG-6 cable and a 12vdc plug in the cabinet above the driver on the left side.

I will need to have 3 RG-6 and one control cable from the new antenna and the tech at Monaco said that the RG-6 that they installed is not usable for pulling these cables to location of the new antenna. I could run the new cables from the new antenna along the roof aways untill I could reach them from inside the TV cabinet. The TV cabinet is open awaiting my install of a 32" HDTV so working from inside of the cabinet is very doable.

Any one with ideas or experience with installing a satellite antenna please talk to me.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to tell us what satellite TV service you will be using and what dish you are planning on installing (manual, auto), etc..
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #4

The tech is correct that you cannot use the existing cable as a pull cable as it is firmly wired into place.
Just run the cables from the roof mount across the roof to a location where you can get access to the cabinet. The cables that come with the dish are likely about 30' long and you should be able to locate the antenna nearly anywhere on the roof with enough clearance.
If this is the MotoSAT unit it even comes with the cover plate necessary to seal up the new hole in the roof. The only thing you will need is some Dicor caulk (or other good lap sealant) and some screws.
Be sure to drill up from inside and then drill down from the roof without going all the way either direction. There are lots of wires up there and you don't want to cut any of them. I recommend you drill a 1" hole up and then use a long pilot drill to reach the roof. Drill through the roof with this and you can then drill the 1" hole from the roof down for perfect alignment. Be sure where you plan to drill up will not hit any roof top obstructions before you start.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
What I do is use a long 1/8" drill bit and drill up all the way thru the roof. I then use a hole saw and cut thru the the roof, which is quite thin. I then look into the area and make sure it is safe to cut the bottom hole. 1" is about right.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I do is use a long 1/8" drill bit and drill up all the way thru the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do not recommend this procedure. I used to do exactly that until I encountered an RV that had enclosed a couple of wires inside a hard plastic tube. The pilot drill went cleanly through this tube and shorted out the wires inside. Had I drilled the 1" hole inside first and then used the pilot drill to clear everything between the lower hole and the roof I would not have had this problem.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the help.

I've got a Winegard SK-3005 5 LNB dish ordered.