Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #29
tcg

We don't stream very often so our AT&T 20GB data plan on our phone plan is plenty for email, internet, and file transfer on occasion when I forget something from home.

We get really good coverage in most of the places we stay so I've never really explored all the various boosters and unlimited plans out there. Occasionally I'll stick my phone outside to get better signal and then tether to a device inside.

If we get somewhere without coverage we normally don't stick around, my health is such that I need access to a cell signal for 911.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebonord View Post
I have been a Visible customer for approximately 6 months. Their service is erratic.

Based on my experience w/Visible, I would not recommend it to anyone because it is unreliable. If you are considering Visible, try it out, but be aware it might have issues. From other subscribers comments, it seems the erratic service might be location related. Just be aware -- all that glitters is not gold.
I can see that you were really disappointed in Visible. Sorry to hear that. I would encourage everyone that is seeing comment about Visible to also visit the thread that perhaps is reponsible for this:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-m...ml#post4758860

The Google Doc attached to POST #10 has an attempt at very clearly written disclaimers at the very start to help people understand the pros/cons. While some people experience great speed and access most of the time, some that are stationary and not moving much at all and may or may not have good speeds where they are parked. Depends on where you are? Most cell services have this challenge.

It does seem from the other thread that more people are happy and excited and experiencing good things from Visible. A few are very disappointed, like the poster quoted above. That will be the case for most every single option out there today.

Bottom line, if you are traveling, going to be in Verizon cell range, want a monthly payment and not a commitment, need a LOT of internet usage (ie, streaming Roku TV) and find $25/month to be acceptable, try the link to the Visible configuration. Might work great for you. Might not, but the cost of trying is not huge. I've traveled over the entire US with this and have a large variety of service experience, but for the most part can easily continue my work (which is all through the Internet) and stream unlimited TV/movies without worrying about a limit being reach. There are some times of the day and some areas that the service really suffers, but that (in my personal experience) is far less than the times that I don't even have to check speeds because everything just works.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #31

The adaptor for using the Spark in the coach has failed. Two months old so it's under warranty. However, the Spark does work in the OBD port in the car and we are getting the adaptor replaced so we'll keep the Spark. Having fooled around for months with this issue we finally decided we are going broke trying to save a buck. So we decided to get a good cellular/hot spot/router and a data plan. Went with the Cradlepoint IBR600C cell/router. 150Mbs modem, dual sim slots with failover and can connect 64 devices and came with 3 yrs of support. Got an AT&T no contract data plan for $35 a month. Router was pretty easy to set up and is getting full 4 bars of reception, our cell phones are doing good to get 2 bars where we are at. Running about 25Mbs down. There are routers on ebay for half the price of new, but they are out of date and do not come with the 4 antennas and power supplies, so be aware of that. Replacement parts are available on Amazon. Keeping our fingers crossed that we are done in our search for mobile internet. Looking forward to getting back on Netflix tonight without rebooting the Spark every 16 minutes.
We bought the router off Amazon through a company called WirelessNwifi, they are in Utah and they answer the phone, great customer service, and they speak English, no offense.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebonord View Post
We will soon be heading out on our first long, extended trip that will last 3 months. I was wondering what others have used for internet service while on the making these extended trips.
I look forward to learning what y'all have used for your reliable internet on the road.
We might be the last people to not have smartphones which shocks friends as we had a PC for my dissertation even before the IBM PC with 2 floppy drives came out. We started one of the first microcomputer software companies and we've both taught computer classes at the University level. But still no smartphones - a dumb tracfone when traveling for emergencies.

Since moving to Florida, we don't travel as much as we did playing snowbirds for months at a time. But here is what we do to check email, get some news, etc. Some campgrounds have wifi - love them but the reception is often slow or spotty. Most towns have libraries that let you check email or even browse the Internet but often have time limits of 1 hour per day. But everyone needs some time off line. Most coffee shops, brewpubs, and restaurants have free wifi. As long as you aren't taking up long periods of time during busy hours, they are happy to let you slowly sip your coffee or brew.

Thanks for posting this as I'll be looking at what others do. We probably need to get a better plan.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #33

Get HughsNet have internet every where.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgTEAE&adurl=

I been using them since 1972 for home then RV.

'2006 Mercury Grand Marquis (toad)
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #34

OTR Rocks!

My wife and I began full timing 2/25/19. We have so far been in 26 states - almost all of the states south and west of a line roughly from NC to WI. In that time, there have literally been 4 places we did not have ATT service, which is what OTR uses. In those places we also had no Verizon cell service. Smoky Mountain NP, Black Hills NF, Olympic NP, and Grand Teton NP. I would recommend it without hesitation. $59.95/ mo total. No additional fees of any kind. Unlimited. No throttling. Average speed probably 25 mbps, but ranges from 10-80 mbps. Enough to stream on two TVs at once. I bought a refurb Netgear MR1100 Nighthawk for $179 directly from OTR. Works like a champ.
Jobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #35

I have a weboost and antenna to help my cell phone signal. We also are a bit low tech, but it works. I have a hdmi connector for my Iphone and we run a cable to the TV. We watch movies and Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. unlimited as it is not a hotspot. So not Gigabyte restrictions. We changed to TMobile as they have the greatest usage before throttling.
Kamani74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobee View Post
My wife and I began full timing 2/25/19. We have so far been in 26 states - almost all of the states south and west of a line roughly from NC to WI. In that time, there have literally been 4 places we did not have ATT service, which is what OTR uses. In those places we also had no Verizon cell service. Smoky Mountain NP, Black Hills NF, Olympic NP, and Grand Teton NP. I would recommend it without hesitation. $59.95/ mo total. No additional fees of any kind. Unlimited. No throttling. Average speed probably 25 mbps, but ranges from 10-80 mbps. Enough to stream on two TVs at once. I bought a refurb Netgear MR1100 Nighthawk for $179 directly from OTR. Works like a champ.

Looks like OTR has/is changing to T-mobile:

Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #37

Common knowlege as a rule campground internet is poor,get a good hot spot or reliable wifi via phone
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #38

T-Mobile Fan

We have used T-Mobile for a couple of years, logging around 10,000 miles per year with one cross country from Atlanta to Seattle. They have a great plan if you are over 55 years -- T-Mobile 1 Unlimited 55+.... $60.00 / month for two phones with unlimited data. I add their One Plus International to my phone for an additional $25.00 / month. The One Plus International provides for unlimited high def streaming. I use my phone as a wifi hot spot and stream to Roku. I am able to stream to two different programs to two different Roku's. They may throttle should you use over 50gb per billing cycle based on network traffic. I have never been throttled while using over 100gb per billing cycle on our big trips.

The key to making this work is to make sure that your phone can receive T-Mobile's 600 ghz signal (channel 71). We have had very few locations where a usable signal was not available.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #39

We have a "HOT SPOT" with version, it has worked well in some places and poorly in others. The good thing is is available while driving and is password protected. Again, works well in some places and poorly in others.
MAINE413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #40

Try OTR Mobile.
srheug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #41

We use campground wifi if it is available and reasonable... the mobile Hot Spot on an iPhone 6 for a more secure connection. Used to have ATT but the monthly rate was double what we have now with Consumer Cellular (same ATT service).

We have Dish Outdoors service with a King Tailgator Pro Dish and two Wally receivers in our MH for TV so we don't stream that much.

Happy travels...
Jetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
You can sign up with VISIBLE on a 4 phone party plan, and each person pays $25 per month. Each person can live in different states, they all get their own website log-ins, and even pays their own separate bill. Visible using the Verizon network, so any phone that works for Verizon will work for Visible. You can even port your number over to Visible, so no number change. Then use these two articles to set up your network for unlimited internet & unlimited data streaming for a Firestick for your TV.

How To Get FREE Internet With Unlimited Data

How To Get FREE Television With ALL Channels
djpotts50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet