Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippslarry View Post
I just exchanged texts with them and they said the Nethear Nighthawk MR1100 is “the only device that won’t work” and that “ We are no longer activating att lines we have t-mobile for $80 hotspot“
We live in a rural location that is not served by any internet provider except for satellite. I have tried many different means for internet like trying to use our data plans by tethering or using their hot spots. It worked but was a nuisance. My last try at internet was using Visible service by tethering their cell phone to an Asus router. This would have been a good method had Visible been a reliable ISP. In our area Visible is a terrible, awful, unreliable choice for an ISP.
We bit the bullet and bought a MOFI router that accepts a sim card. Through a reseller, I bought an unlimited AT&T sim card data package. The MOFI has been great! Never a hiccup. Unfortunately, We have not been able to take it on a trip in our motor home. The Covid-19 outbreak caused us to temporarily cancel our travel plans. We are limiting contact w/outsiders because of our age.
We are running the MOFI inside off its antennas. I have sufficient bandwidth usually to stream and operate 2 laptops, but sometimes it will slow down.
I want to install 2 MIMO antennas outside to try to increase the MOFI's signal. I think I'll dig out the ASUS router and run ethernet from the MOFI to it.

2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34' Workhorse
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #58

GotW3 w/ATT sim & T-Mobile phones

Wife and I have been full-timing for a few months. I am fortunate to be able to work from the road. Stable broadband is absolutely critical for my employment. Here's how we roll:

2 - One Plus 6T unlocked cell phones on T-Mobile 55+ plan. Unlimited data (50 GB high speed then throttled) Netflix included, MLB included. Grand total is $70.00 for both lines (no fees, no taxes, no bs) just $70.00 per month.
I bought these phones directly from One Plus as they include a Dual SIM tray which you won't get on a carrier phone. My thinking was that I may need to get/use a Verizon SIM depending on where we ended up in the country. So far I haven't needed to worry about Verizon.

1 - ReadyNet LTE520 router with an ATT SIM Card. I have service through GotW3 at $99.00 per month for unlimited high speed data. (T-Mobile is an option at $79.00 per month but I already have T-Mo plan for my cell phones) Again, this is the TOTAL cost, no taxes, no fees, no data limits. This is a really nice router. Built in WiFi, 4 ethernet ports, 2 Voip ports, failover capable, external antenna options, DC power cable option.

We have been through IL, MO, AR, TX, NM, CO, AZ, and KS so far since mid-November 2019 and this combo has not let me down. Work is my primary concern but I have had no issues streaming SlingTV, Netflix & Pluto TV in the evenings. I am writing this from just outside Smoky Mountain National Park at Up The Creek RV park in Pigeon Forge TN. ATT Sim in the ReadyNet router is running 35 MB down & 28 MB up. T-Mobile phones are running 67 MB down & 10 MB up.

My T-Mobile cell service has been WAY above what I expected when we hit the road.

full disclosure - The company I work for is a distributor for the GotW3 service. I actually use what I sell.

Hope this helps.
lonrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet