Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Internet for short term trip

Hi,

We do a 2-3 month trip each summer. One of the things I keep trying to figure out is internet. For the past couple of years we have used out phones as hotspots. This work ok but very limited data. We get 15 gig on each phone (2) from Verizon.

I work while traveling and need to send and receive emails with PDF files. We surf the net but use the phone unlimited for that not the hotspot. We stream tv and this is what kills the data. Last year we got about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks from our hot spots of high speed. I did find that YouTube and Netflix worked at the lower speed and I could still use email.

We were in Wyoming on the edge of service for a month but we made it work.

I am thinking of adding a jetpack for this summer trip. It will give us another 15 gigs a total of 30. I will probably still use all of that before the month is up but it will be closer.

I can get the jetpack and after the trip turn it off until I need it again. I can also change our plan back to what we have now with out the hotspots.

I would like to now what others do who are in a similar situation. Since we only part time I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for something I will only use a few month out of the year.

This year we are traveling form Florida to Michigan (U.P.) Also next year we are hoping to go to Alaska and I am interested what I will need for that trip.

I look forward to hearing how people do this.

Thank you
VC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #2

Look at AT&T and Cricket (a wholly owned AT&T sub). They both have a 100 Gig plan AT&T is about $50 prepaid plus you have to buy the modem (hotspot). I would go with the Nighthawk modem. They are much, much cheaper that Verizon. Don't bother with the 5G modem yet, it's a whole lot more expensive. If you want the latest information search for "Mobile Internet Resource Center" and see what their latest picks are. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #3

There's many ways to do it, but I'd get one or two of the 100 GB plans mentioned above for $50 each.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #4

Internet for short term trip

The above suggestions are good ones. If you happen to be a Comast / XFinity cuztomer, they offer cell phone plans that are on the Verizon Network. The rates are discounted for Comcast customers.. The unlimited plan is $45/ monthÖ.. less thsn $50 after taxes and it includes hotspot capability.

They also donít require you to pay a month in advance. If you choose the unlimited plan and the day before your cycle ends you used less than 1GB, yiu can switch pkans and only pay less than $17 after taxes.

Also no line activation fees.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #5

Check out Visible. With their party plan we get unlimited everything for $25 per month. The plan is prepaid. They are owned by Verizon.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #6

If you have any of the new Verizon plans you should be able to upgrade the hotspot to 30 GB per phone for only $10 more per phone. I did that just last month now that I am traveling more for work. Guess it depends on the plan that you have right now.

Tags
internet