RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Internet in the boonies...

I am thinking about getting the Verizon 4G mifi to have internet since Verizon coverage is real good where I am, but wondering what others without cable use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

We have the Verizon MiFi and used our our recent trip to the East coast and back to So Cal. We use it while home instead of paying for another service . I'll rate on a scale of 1 -10 around a 4.5. Its slow and loses service all the time. Not sure what else out there thats better but I'm looking myself.

TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #3

I have a Verizon Pantech UML290 "Air Card" for $50/mo for 5G/mo. Pretty fast most of the time.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There is a Technology Forum to ask questions reference internet...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #5

We use the Verizon 3G mifi card and have had pretty good luck all over the country. We originally looked into the 4G card but the 4G coverage isn't nearly as good as the 3G. At the time it didn't seem worth the additional cost due to the limited service areas. There are times when the 3G card is a bit slow, especially at peak cell phone usage times.

You might ask the Verizon people whether the 4G card will switch to 3G if 4G is not available. If it's strictly limited to 4G service it's not going to be of much use in the boonies.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #6

Card will switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We use the Verizon 3G mifi card and have had pretty good luck all over the country. We originally looked into the 4G card but the 4G coverage isn't nearly as good as the 3G. At the time it didn't seem worth the additional cost due to the limited service areas. There are times when the 3G card is a bit slow, especially at peak cell phone usage times.

You might ask the Verizon people whether the 4G card will switch to 3G if 4G is not available. If it's strictly limited to 4G service it's not going to be of much use in the boonies.
I live a a rural mountain community and the only WiFi available is the Verizon (or ATT) cards. As 4G is not here my card operates in 3G and peak times can be tough. Good luck.
SaltyoftheAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to remember that lots of areas will have no or a weak signal. No signal means no Verizon and no mifi. Usually a weak signal wil really slow down the data connection.

Ken
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #8

mifi internet

Have used it from Colorado to Maine to Florida. Only no reception in Bar Harbour Maine and the Badlands of South Dekota. Works good everywhere else.
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #9

It is possible but I do not know of a cell wifi that does not fall back to 3g.
If you have 4g in the area that is great, 3g is OK, watch for what they call throttling if you use it a lot (they have been known to slow people to a crawl, someone won in small claims court in CA against AT&T on throttling).
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

Get the Verizon Five Spot. It is only 3G. It never loses a connection and works everywhere Verizon has 3G. The newer Mi-Fi 's are both 3G and 4G and are supposed to switch back and forth between the two. They do not! They are always losing a connection. I know because I have a new Mi-Fi and went back to my old trusty Five Spot.
Look at the reviews on the Verizon Wireless website for each. The newer units seem to be improving, but 3G is the norm rather than 4G.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We use Millenicom (Advanced plan, 20 gigs for $59/mo, no contract) which is Verizon 3G. Works fine nearly everywhere in the country, but we also have a high quality antenna/amplifier system so we can pull in a signal in weak and marginal areas.

In the south and west Texas boonies, however, ATT is pretty much your only option. Because we do gate-guarding down there for part of the year, we also have an ATT 3G/4G Hotspot device (and a 2year contract- thanks, ATT!). And I have to agree with the above poster, the change from 4G back to 3G rarely works without dropping the signal, and sometimes it will stay "stuck" on a pitifully weak 4G and ignore a robust 3G.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have the pantech verizon 3g aircard as my 'go to' connection - but have 4g on htc thunderbird, and motorola xoom tablet...

weak 4g is a recipe for drops
If I see 3 or more bars I will stay on 4g, but any less and I always block out 4g as the switching technology is not quick enough to not be dropped

but your boonies and mine may be defined completely differently ! cell service is still required !
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #13

Just traveled 10,000 miles with the MiFi. Worked fine of you had cell service, but most of the "boonies" we were in-NO SERVICE!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
We have been running down the West coast from Wash state to California and found the Verizon signal very good, with weak signal only thru the mountains heading into NCal. A lot of areas are 4G, but its not a make or break thing for us. We also bought the MIFI from Millenicom which we can stop and start up as we need. Because both DW and I use our own laptops, the MIFI made the best sense for us.

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote