Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, This has shown up before but I havn't seen any comparison between pure sine-wave and Modified sine-wave. I'm wanting one that can let me use the Microwave,[1500 watts] and the tv/sat system for things like the weather channel,Etc. Is pure sine wave really needed to run these, or can I use the Modified sine wave? The other question is the xantrex xpower plus models look like they could have one for me but is it a true sine wave model? I have a separate panel that handles the Micro/ Convection oven and the entertainment center. I would like to run that panel off the battery's when am parked without hook-ups and don't want to run the genset. I don't need a battery charger as It could share my battery bank and I have a intel charger hooked up and puts out 80 amps for recharge. Anyone have one that can tell me if it is a pure sine wave model? I'm looking at the 1750 watt model Xpower plus. I don't want to try and run my electronics with something that will harm it.
Any ideas??
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, This has shown up before but I havn't seen any comparison between pure sine-wave and Modified sine-wave. I'm wanting one that can let me use the Microwave,[1500 watts] and the tv/sat system for things like the weather channel,Etc. Is pure sine wave really needed to run these, or can I use the Modified sine wave? The other question is the xantrex xpower plus models look like they could have one for me but is it a true sine wave model? I have a separate panel that handles the Micro/ Convection oven and the entertainment center. I would like to run that panel off the battery's when am parked without hook-ups and don't want to run the genset. I don't need a battery charger as It could share my battery bank and I have a intel charger hooked up and puts out 80 amps for recharge. Anyone have one that can tell me if it is a pure sine wave model? I'm looking at the 1750 watt model Xpower plus. I don't want to try and run my electronics with something that will harm it.
Any ideas??
Old 06-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #3

Capt. Dan,
I am sure you don't want to hear from me again but there is nothing "special" that a true sine wave does that a modified sine wave can't do.
I am sure there are "some kinds" of electronics that do better on true sine wave (clocks keep better time?) but we have used a modified sine wave 2000 watt Heart inverter to run every thing in our coach including our Datastorm, an Advantium and Sharp Convection ovens, multiple TV's and computers and a household GE profile refrigerator for more than 5 1/2 years (the fridge since 2000). We have NEVER seen a power related problem. Now, if you want to talk about power problems when we have plugged into RV parks power poles, then we might be able to discuss power problems!!!!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe most of us are running modified sine wave inverters, and I have had no problems using mine.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bill and Route 66, Thanks for the comeback. I was thinking that salesman was yanking my leg and you just confirmed that. Another great reason to have this forum!!
Bill, No worrys mate! Dan
Old 07-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #6

Well I'm going to add my two cents Capt. Dan. A modified sine wave Inv. will run everything you have. However, most of the equipment you will run on a modified unit, will run hotter. That includes transformers, compressors, motors. If you have small appliances that run off of a power brick, laptop, scanner, WX radio, router, printer, etc. they will run very hot. Cheaper bricks will simply burn out. It happened to me twice with a Radio Shack scanner.
Will everything work on a mod. S/W, sure, will everything be happy? Probably not. I see posts where folks have had them for 5 years with no problems, I've also seen folks that have replaced their TV because it smoked the transformer.

I installed a Magnum 2000W pure sine wave, for me the extra few hundred bucks was worth it. For others it may not be. We boondock 8-9 months/year and I like to keep everything happy

IMHO, if you can afford one, I'd go with a pure sine wave.

Good luck regardless of how you go.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hum...Sounds like I may have to smoke this over again!! thanks for the info.I'm still trying to figure out which way to go. I will let you know.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #8

Look at the info on the solar sites. They have been one of the best sources for AC/DC info I have found. My favourite site is http://www.gaiam.com/retail/gai_shophome.asp They are into teaching as well as selling. Check out the Solar Living section. The quality of the inverter will also dictate whether or not you can use a modified sine wave.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Lorna, What was that movie??...For a few dollars more??? I think it is coming to that! I'm still checking yet. Capt.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Have decided to go with a road pro 1750 watt model. It is a modified sine wave model with direct connecting for the box and the 110 input but has no charging option. Since I got a intel- charger thats 80 amps and I will be sticking a 55 watt solar panel with a charger module and control panel. Its not like I'm going to cook dinner or watch 20 dvd's when I'm out camping in the mountains. Thinks for the posts and have a good safe camping trip all, Capt