Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Apple products are great and work superbly with everything I own when done correctly. So I’m not gonna get into THAT debate.

Please allow me to help you with your terminology in order that you are able to find help and/or learn.

SCREEN MIRRORING is generally done wirelessly through AirPlay, which IS an APPLE standard. It’s activated through the Control Center. More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

What YOU are asking about, is wired output STREAMING to HDMI. A completely different animal. More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202044

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
But with the Apple specific device, am I still limited on what apps I can use?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
Thanks.
But with the Apple specific device, am I still limited on what apps I can use?

Yes you are. This has to do with copyright DRM content, and often controlled by proprietary software apps.

So, to control this, the iOS and Developer will block playback from an iPhone/iPad.

So, for example: you couldn’t stream Netflix from an iPhone through and HDMI cable whereas you CAN use the AppleTv app, or even do Screen Mirroring.

Sorry if this isn’t clear, buts it’s hard to articulate in text without writing a novel.

To make it a bit more muddled, SOME apps such as YouTube cooperate super easy with ALL other device’s YouTube app. So, when you play from your iPhone, it’s a 1-button Tap to send that video to the TV, AppleTV app.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes you are. This has to do with copyright DRM content, and often controlled by proprietary software apps.

So, to control this, the iOS and Developer will block playback from an iPhone/iPad.

So, for example: you couldn’t stream Netflix from an iPhone through and HDMI cable whereas you CAN use the AppleTv app, or even do Screen Mirroring.

Sorry if this isn’t clear, buts it’s hard to articulate in text without writing a novel.

To make it a bit more muddled, SOME apps such as YouTube cooperate super easy with ALL other device’s YouTube app. So, when you play from your iPhone, it’s a 1-button Tap to send that video to the TV, AppleTV app.
Thank you. Not muddled at all, I’m soaking in what I don’t know. If I don’t understand, I’ll ask.
The copyright things are understood. That’s the main reason I’m here in the first place.
I’m likely going to order the Apple branded adapter cable and try that. If it works, it’ll fix a few problems. But that brings me back to the question before, what’s the best way to get decent TV when we are on the road? Some places we go have cable connections with a handful of channels, others have nothing and really bad connection with the antenna.
The kids like their cartoons if we get stuck in the camper on a poor weather day. And don’t get me started on how relaxing it is to take in a movie while sitting around a campfire.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #18

I guess you’d have to define “TV”. In other words, my entire family and circle of friends are absolutely in love with the AppleTV and you can watch any content out there, whether though free apps, YouTube, net, or separate apps that require a subscription.

We’ve recently signed up with YouTube TV for $50/mo and couldn’t be happier!
Old 04-27-2020, 08:14 PM   #19

Quote:
I guess you’d have to define “TV”. In other words, my entire family and circle of friends are absolutely in love with the AppleTV and you can watch any content out there, whether though free apps, YouTube, net, or separate apps that require a subscription.

We’ve recently signed up with YouTube TV for $50/mo and couldn’t be happier!
Fair enough, these are apps we use or would plan on using. We are already subscribers to pay apps.

Fox Sports
NBC Sports
Xfinity Stream
Amazon Prime
Disney Jr
Nick Jr
PBS Kids

Im not really sure of how Apple TV would work in a mobile setting. I’m also not familiar with YouTube tv.
In this day and age, it’s very difficult to wade through the various options of entertainment. Especially in a mobile type environment.
I’m 36 years old and have been RVing since I was 3 months old. I’ve never camped in nor owned a unit with satellite tv, and I’m really not interested in such a service unless I should consider it. But for the monthly cost and how much we use the trailer right now I’m not interested in something I have to pay for and can only use in the trailer.
That’s why I was thinking of Roku. I can unplug the stick and bring it on the house.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #20

In terms of hooking up, Think of AppleTV as the same as plugging in a ForeStick or similar.

In terms of usage, it mind blowing how it works and is WAY too much to go into here. You can get a feel for it in the Apple Website. But how about going into an Apple store or Best Buy for a full demo?

In terms of setup, nothing to it, really. If you use an iPhone, you’ll be right at home. Just sign in, download your apps, and let the AppleTV OS do the rest. It really is magic. With the AppleTV app built in, it will even Amalgamate a your sources to make searching for a movie SO easy!

It gets to be a sea of sources out there and it is so nice to just use Siri to say “Watch XYZ” arm let AppleTV find the correct source or sources you can use to watch it.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #21

Are there monthly service fees for Apple TV?
Do you need a box per television or can one box due multiple sets?
And it will need an internet connection. How does it work off a phone hotspot?
Old 04-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Are there monthly service fees for Apple TV?
Do you need a box per television or can one box due multiple sets?
And it will need an internet connection. How does it work off a phone hotspot?

No fees.

Depending on your coach’s HDMI cabling setup. On my Dutch Star, I have ONE AppleTV in the center media cabinet which is connected to the Main, Front, and Outside TVs.

I changed my HDMI cabling in The Bedroom so that the AppleTV is connected rather than the “Directv” box which we don’t use. So, now, EVERY TV can have whatever is playing on my APPLETV, including ANY music source!!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
No fees.

Depending on your coach’s HDMI cabling setup. On my Dutch Star, I have ONE AppleTV in the center media cabinet which is connected to the Main, Front, and Outside TVs.

I changed my HDMI cabling in The Bedroom so that the AppleTV is connected rather than the “Directv” box which we don’t use. So, now, EVERY TV can have whatever is playing on my APPLETV, including ANY music source!!
How do you connect the Apple TV to the internet? Do you guys carry a mobile modem?
Is this about what you have?

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-TV-32GB...=apple+&sr=8-3

I’d have to run HDMI through the coach. The only thing we have now are regular cable connections at each set.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #24

iPhone Mirroring Problem

I don’t think we should get into the Mobile Internet on this thread. That would be a sad waste of some INCREDIBLE work that had been posted in a couple VERY large and through posts on that subject.

Please look for those posts in the Tech forum. Here’s the motherlode for one of them...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/bes...es-442761.html

But, yes, HDMI must be used; whether direct, or through splitters. Just BEWARE to use too-grade HDMI cables that will support 4K or else you’ll be very disappointed.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:48 AM   #25

Understood.
Thank you for the help. I think I have a couple options to explore now.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #26

Bit of an update to those that use the non-Apple branded iPhone to HDMI adapters.
I’ve been doing some more digging and uncovered an app that gets the off brand products to work again.
The app is called EZCast.
I downloaded it, updated firmware and tried streaming the phone onto the TV and bingo, no problem at all. So that’s fixed, kind of.
The phone and various streaming apps have been protected more then they were in the past. So I’m limited, but it still works.
So I ordered a Roku Streaming Stick +. Should have it next week. I’ll try it in the camper, and do some testing when we actually get to go camping. At worst, I’ll be able to retreat to the trailer and be able to watch tv at home.
I’ll start some work on getting a more permanent internet signal while we are traveling.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #27

Got the Roku stick in, and installed it on the living room tv in the trailer. Very easy to install, very good picture and a wealth of options for things to watch. Loaded the xfinity app and signed in to my xfinity account, now I can get the same options as in the house.
I did try streaming off my phone hotspot and was pleasantly surprised. It actually seemed to work ok.
However, I do have things in the works as far as internet accessibility. Still working on that though.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:17 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Got the Roku stick in, and installed it on the living room tv in the trailer. Very easy to install, very good picture and a wealth of options for things to watch. Loaded the xfinity app and signed in to my xfinity account, now I can get the same options as in the house.
I did try streaming off my phone hotspot and was pleasantly surprised. It actually seemed to work ok.
However, I do have things in the works as far as internet accessibility. Still working on that though.
Are you sure your Roku wasn't still set to your home wifi?

I was VERY DISAPPOINTED to find that the Xfinity app for Roku, which is so great when you are on your home wifi, does not work at all whenever away from your home wifi.

You can test this by firing up your phone hotspot wifi, connecting your Roku to that wifi signal, and launching Xfinity app on Roku. Not happening.

So unless all of your camping is in your driveway, connected to your home wifi, then keep looking for 1) strong mobile internet and 2)mobile streaming cable TV-type service. (YouTube TV, DirectTVNow, etc)

It shouldn't be this hard, should it?

PS The Xfinity website, when used with your laptop, will run your shows remotely, using anybody's wifi. Just not with Roku devices.

Tags
phone, problem