Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Iphone not playing sound through BT connection

When I connect my iPhone 7 (I know it's older but so am I and I tried on my wife's iPhone 11) to the Kenwood System using Bluetooth (BT) no sound will play. I can see the music playing on the screen, change songs, raise lower volume, but no sound out of the speakers. If I change the input to Sirrus the sound comes on and all is well with other inputs.

I spent at least an hour with what seemed to be a very versed tech from Kenwood and her and I could not get it to work. Updated to the latest software and still nothing? Talked with Triple H at Tiffin and he could not help.

I know a little about electronics but this one has me stumped. My only thoughts are some wire is connected to the Kenwood at install is missing or connected wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this and I can take advantage of your fix? Or did I draw the lucky card of trying to find it? I would really like to listen to my music on my cell phone in my library or Pandora through the pretty nice sound system in the cab.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 11:16 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you try to turn up the volume on the phone itself? Example, if the phone volume is down you won't hear anything.

Mark
Old 01-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is the phone and Kenwood 'paired'?
Old 01-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Try calling Keith Selby...( Kenwood Rep ) His number is (317) 727-2524. He solved my problem about a year ago by getting me in touch with the a Kenwood design engineer. Good luck
Old 01-17-2022, 05:32 PM   #5

Previous poster asked a good question about pairing.

Go to your iPhone setting and confirm that Bluetooth is “ON”.

Open the Bluetooth and find your speakers. If you don’t find it listed, you are not paired. If it is listed Does it show “connected”.

On my Denon speaker, I have to select Bluetooth in order ti get the sound from my iPhone.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:53 PM   #6

Do you hear music if you play the Kenwood radio?
Have you looked at the Kenwood setup screen for BT where you have to register a BT device that the Kenwood will connect.
If you don't have a Kenwood User Manual (the one included with my 2019 'Tiffin Red' owners binder was an older version than the one installed) you can download the correct manual from Kenwood site.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:25 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
My only thoughts are some wire is connected to the Kenwood at install is missing or connected wrong.
All Bluetooth functionality should be built into the unit. There should be no specific wiring for Bluetooth except for antenna reception.

Have you tried connecting to the surround A/V system in the coach? If the system doesn't have a Bluetooth connection option, you could try connecting with a friend's working system. If successful, that would mean there is no setup issue with the iPhone. When you have multiple components involved, it's best to eliminate the components that work so the failed component can be isolated.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:50 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes I turned the volume up.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffinUser View Post
Do you hear music if you play the Kenwood radio?
Have you looked at the Kenwood setup screen for BT where you have to register a BT device that the Kenwood will connect?
If you don't have a Kenwood User Manual (the one included with my 2019 'Tiffin Red' owners binder was an older version than the one installed) you can download the correct manual from the Kenwood site.
Yes, the phone is showing Paired, the connection in setup shows BT connected, the phone show as connected, and when I play my music it shows on the Kenwood screen that it's playing. I can skip tracks and they show playing. When I call my phone while connected it answers but no sound.

When I plug my phone into the Kenwood direct with a USB cable, my phone starts acting just like it does when you plug it using a cheap cable and the charge/not charge starts going on and off rapidly so I can't control the phone.

Soooooo strange as I have connected to my other cars and many other devices and have never had this happen. No sound comes out at all but it all looks like it running. When I switch to say Sirrus on the radio, immediate sound and plays fine, put in a cd, plays fine, HD radio plays fine.

So really not sure what to try?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #10

Apple IOS 15 has a Bluetooth problem
My wife's iPhone stopped connecting to her wireless CarPlay
Updated the IOS to 15.2.1
A new update is now out
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:26 AM   #11

Regarding the usb connections, in my ‘19 Red there are several usb ports on the dash but some are only for charging. Others will work with Apple and others will work with Android. Only one works with my iPhone CarPlay. I have forgotten the specifics but there is an interface cable between one of the usb ports that is black for Apple but if you have an Android it wants a grey cable.

Regarding sound. Have you confirmed that the Kenwood radio volume can output sound from the Kenwood am/fm radio?

Finally, I don’t know if your coach has surround sound or not. If it does that may not be adjusted properly. Part of that adjustment involves speaker selection in the Kenwood setup.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #12

Expanding on my post above, my Kenwood is a DNS775RVS. I just tried my iPhone X to refresh my memory, I don't usually use the bluetooth connectivity. Also, I updated the firmware on my Kenwood in 2020 but I don't know if that changed anything on the bluetooth connectivity.

My iPhone connected immediately to my Kenwood and started playing a podcast. No usb cable required. For certain carplay functions you need the cable.

You should verify that the Kenwood radio plays through the speakers. If it does play the radio then it should play the iPhone.

If it does not play the radio then you should check both the speaker connections on back of Kenwood and also your surround sound settings, on my coach surround sound is controlled with the blue-ray DVR. One time I fooled with the surround sound and accidentally managed to kill the sound from the speakers in the cockpit.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:04 PM   #13

Sitting in front of my Kenwood w/ iPad Pro, circa 2015. So your iPhone 7 is newer. My iPad works but playing with the Kenwood is really not intuitive.

If you press menu-radio you should get sound.
But once that happens, BT is dropped and you need to restart.
Menu-BT shows disconnected.
Menu-Setup-BT shows connected.
iPad-settings-BT shows connected and no sound
iPad-settings-BT and tap the connection for your Kenwood BT connection and it reconnects and starts playing.
Moving to another function (except Nav) disconnects BT on my system.

Cannot find my notes on surround sound but there is a video at tiffin site that walks you through it. I’m not sure if that is part of the issue or not.

Anytime I get back in the driver seat I have to relearn this Kenwood, it’s like they started with a radio and kept kludging more features until they created a monster.

HTH
Old 01-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
May be a dumb question but....I don't know how your 2019 Allegro Open Road 36UA is setup but on my 2017 Phaeton there is a switch on the dash marked Radio that has to be turned on for the sound to be distributed to the speakers. On my 2009 Phaeton it was on the panel below the DS window.

If that's not your problem I would recommend calling Nick Brewer at Tiffin.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone