Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #1

Is functional cable dead?

So, over the last year, I have tried to hook up to commercial RV Campground cable connections a half dozen times or so. Maybe 10 times.

Of those, I achieved a successful digital cable connection once.

I am not complaining as such, since my expectation in this area is zero, and we don't really use cable TV, but I am curious if this is typical. Most places have a few analog channels that don't seem to get processed well by new TVs, despite whatever the channel guide on the pamphlet says.

Do folks still bother with plugging in cable these days? Am I just seeing an inordinate failure rate?

(No need to suggest streaming/etc. We do that just fine. This is mostly a curiosity thing and wondering if the industry is paying no attention because consumers don't care, or what the deal is)
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #2

Have only ever tried it once, and no problems. Just had to switch the antenna/cable button to cable, and Bob's your uncle.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I find that the cable in most CGs is satisfactory. Maybe one out of four or five will be unusable in the parks I have used recently.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty much any campground that offers cable, works for us, but may or may not be a great picture. You may not be setting your TV correctly for cable.

On newer TV's, three things need to be done....1st, turn off the antenna booster, 2nd, switch the input on your TV to cable, 3rd, you have to go into programming and scan the new cable connection. It will show a bar, that may take 5-10 minutes to complete. It will list how many stations you are receiving.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Sounds like most peoples experience is opposite from ours... Only a few times has the cable connection been clear. Most of the time I get a snowy picture from a cable connection. It was that way on my old coach and I wrote it off to something was up with the coax cable, but then it would happen even with the new coach. For the most part, we never use the cable and just use satellite; but sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me and I again try the cable. Rarely works. (and yes, booster is off and TV is set to cable and then search for cable channels)
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #6

I have had maybe 3 of 8 campgrounds with cable tv working properly on our last trip. On 2 occasions the campground personnel even mentioned it not to be working. The others were just dead or very bad. I will not bother in the future.

We have a dish network playmaker antenna hanging from our balcony at home and just move it to hang on the RV ladder when traveling. No additional cost.
Jerry Burks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
Sounds like most peoples experience is opposite from ours... Only a few times has the cable connection been clear. Most of the time I get a snowy picture from a cable connection. It was that way on my old coach and I wrote it off to something was up with the coax cable, but then it would happen even with the new coach. For the most part, we never use the cable and just use satellite; but sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me and I again try the cable. Rarely works. (and yes, booster is off and TV is set to cable and then search for cable channels)
Exactly this. It's weird, like a bygone era hanging on for no apparent reason.

(And yes, same, to the prior respondent, I know about antenna boosters and channel scanning etc. )
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #8

I thought it was just me. Three campgrounds in a row it was worthless, fuzzy, or broken. I was starting to wonder if I had a coach problem. Then campground #4 worked beautifully. I was just glad to know I didn't have another thing to diagnose and repair.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:08 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
I suspect it has to do with where one camps, most of the campgrounds that I go to don't even offer cable like those closer to a city offer. When they do offer cable, some of the campgrounds have told me I would need a cable box and could rent from one from them, so I would inquire if you are at a campground that offers cable and it doesn't work for you, especially if cable has worked for you in your RV at other campgrounds. ~Craig
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You mentioned a successful digital connection. In my experience, most campground cable is analog; digital usually comes along with the need for a cable decoder box (but not always). And campground "cable" is often just a coax connection to a community OTA antenna, not an actual cable service like Spectrum or Comcast.

And make sure you have turned off the antenna booster. The bad picture you describe is exactly what it looks like if the booster is still on when you use cable. All fuzz.

RVs are notorious for long internal cable runs and low quality connections and splitters, all of which eat away at he usable signal strength. You might want to experiment with yours by hooking a an extension directly between the park cable and one of your tvs. Eliminate all the wire in between. You may be surprised to find a solid picture
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #11

We don't even try. We don't even tune our TV's when we can get OTA signal. The commercials are just too annoying and disruptive.

We stream from various sources via our unlimited data on our phones. Since we use a cable it is considered "on device" so we are unlimited. We have a 400+ DVD/Blu-ray collection when there is no signal. We find this much is better on our psyche.
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You mentioned a successful digital connection. In my experience, most campground cable is analog; digital usually comes along with the need for a cable decoder box (but not always). And campground "cable" is often just a coax connection to a community OTA antenna, not an actual cable service like Spectrum or Comcast.

And make sure you have turned off the antenna booster. The bad picture you describe is exactly what it looks like if the booster is still on when you use cable. All fuzz.

RVs are notorious for long internal cable runs and low quality connections and splitters, all of which eat away at he usable signal strength. You might want to experiment with yours by hooking a an extension directly between the park cable and one of your tvs. Eliminate all the wire in between. You may be surprised to find a solid picture
This^^^^^
I carry a quality 50' coax cable for this very reason.
If the campground cable picture is fuzzy, snowy, cuts in and out or the tv won't scan any channels I'll hook directly from the pedestal to the main tv, thru the drivers window. That's never failed to work for us. I'd say 80% of the time the CG cable works fine on the coach connection though.
TV really isn't our thing anyhow.....
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
1 for 3 here.

We're at KOA right now and both sides of us the coax is bad and the center pin is pulled out.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #14

I'm guessing the reason that many of you who are having campground cable TV problems is that your TV doesn't have a "digital" or QAM tuner.

For a few years I worked at a campground that switched from analog to digital cable. Oy vey! The complaining we'd hear. "But I have a new TV" was a popular complaint.

Not all new TVs have QAM tuners. They are only required to have digital OTA tuners. That's it.

A 2nd reason for not receiving cable TV programs is that many people didn't know they had to have their TV scan for channels at each campground.

We found that in 9 out of 10 cases it was user error, not a cable TV problem. Reminds me of this . . .

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable